mafan

Good waterproof eyeshadow/makeup in general

(0) Hearts

I'm looking for tips on keeping makeup in general, and eye makeup in specific, waterproof.  I had one of the sales associates tell me last year that powder eyeshadows simply were waterproof, but is that true?  Or do you need special formulas?  Special primers?  What about different blush/foundations/etc.

I'm going on vacation to Jamaica later this year, and I'll also be on Cape Cod and generally out in the humidity more this year.  Of course I'll have something with a good SPF on.  And I've got Tarte's "Lights, Camera, Splashes" mascara.  (I tried Lancome and Bare Minerals and didn't get on with either, so I'm back to the Tarte.)

If I'm planning to spend the day in the water, I don't plan to wear makeup.  It sounds like a really bad idea for scuba diving!  But I would like to wear something that won't be a total mess and could stay in place if I'm at the beach and decide to go in the water after all and I have put makeup on.

I was looking at the Tarte Aqualillies palette, but I know that I have lots of palettes already.  So do I need something designed to be waterproof, or is there something that I can do with the choices I already have at hand.  (Options of choice are good; I'm not one to wear the same shadow every day, even if I'm wearing something fairly neutral most of the time.)

Thanks for all of your wonderful insight!

kissXmakeup

Re: Good waterproof eyeshadow/makeup in general

(0) Hearts

The Maybelline color tattoo shadows are perfect for this! I swatched them on my arm and forgot, took a shower and it stayed on! I had to scrub really hard to get it off. They have neutral colors and then some other colorful ones.

I recently purchased the Tarte Aqualilies palette. I love it. Different than other palettes; I enjoy that it incorporates blush, bronzer, shadows and a highlight color. It was designed to cater to the Aqualilies needs, performing in the water. I like it, I don't have any similar palettes at all.

kenny

(0) Hearts

Tarte makes really great waterproof makeup! I used the Amazonian Clay Waterproof concealer and the Amazonian Clay Liner at the beach and it lasted all day. 

Other than basics, try not to do much other makeup, anything too dark will likely be a mess. Powders are most likely to be washed away by water and definitely not waterproof (at most maybe water resistant)

mafan

(0) Hearts

Thanks, I really appreciate the responses. I am seriously considering some Tarte items and will check them out more. I haven't seen that palette pictured here and can't find it, but the blush is probably too pink for me anyway. I've got some time but really appreciate the suggestions so that I can check them out. 

kenny

(0) Hearts

Tarte products are very good, I hope it works out! I have seen the Aqualilies palette in person and the blush is more coral and doesn't seem to pull very pink.

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Mafan,

Tarte has a lot of great waterproof items. You also might want to add the Make Up Forever Full Cover Concealer which is also waterproof. It works great as an eyeshadow primer too.

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Full Cover Concealer

http://www.sephora.com/full-cover-concealer-P151107?skuId=1247204

The Sephora Collection  Retractable Waterproof Lip Liners also have a nice pigment and it also has a convenient lip brush at the end of the pencil.

SEPHORA COLLECTION - Retractable Waterproof Lip Liner

http://www.sephora.com/retractable-waterproof-lip-liner-P257801?skuId=1214519

I also recommend the Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray

Urban Decay - De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=de%20slick%20spray&skuId=1458181&productId=...

<3 Melissa
starletta8

(0) Hearts

Laura Mercier Caviar sticks are also almost painful to remove, they set that well.

I second the nod to MUFE Aqua Creams as well.

emmaclaire

I don't think powder eyeshadow is waterproof by default.  I've never heard that, and that has absolutely not been my experience.  I agree that the best waterproof eyeshadow would have to be Make Up For Ever's Aqua Creams - but they REALLY stay!  It's great but it can be a pain to try to remove fully, so if you're looking for something with crazy hardcore staying power that's the ideal solution.  

Tarte's Amazonian Clay cream eyeshadows are also waterproof and long wearing, and the colors are really lovely too.  I THINK Urban Decay's 24/7 shadow pencil is waterproof as well.

There are a ton of great waterproof eyeliners out there as well.  Generally I've found cream formulas to be better at staying on even in water (more waterproof in general) but you should always check the description or reviews before buying to make sure it will truly stay.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Here's the other Tarte Aqualillies Palette. Sephora doesn't have it but it's at Tarte.com at least it gives you more options than one to pick from.1494[1].jpgI think the Tarte Aqualillies palette would be great for you after that's what this paticular palette is for. Hope this helps!

sowazupb

(0) Hearts

Makeup Forever Aqua eyeliners and cream eye shadows and cream blushes. These will stay put and you will need a good makeup remover to get them off your face.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 8 in conversation
    • kenny
    • emmaclaire
    • melissabt
    • mafan
    • beautylovingirl
    • sowazupb