meganm0723

Favorite drugstore makeup?

I was wondering what everyones favorite drugstore makeup (ELF included!!) was, I'm out on a makeup spree and I want to keep is inexpensive.

Favorite....

Foundation?

Concealer?

Mascara?

Eyeliner?

Lipstick?

Lipgloss?

Blush?

BTW:

Im 14

Light/Medium Skin

Gold/Green eyes

Brown hair

Thanks!!!

~M

lylysa

Re: Favorite drugstore makeup?

Foundation: For something lighter and more natural, Loreal True Match, for something with more coverage and to be more done up, Revlon's Color Stay, NYX just launched their HD liquid foundation, I tried a bit on my hand it it spread really well and felt nice, plus they have a new powder that looks to be a dupe for Smashbox's HALO

Concealer: I used to use Maybelline's Pure Concealer stick because it spot treated acne and was super thin and portable, they stopped carrying it and since then I never really used many drug store concealers

Mascara: I haven't been much on drug store mascaras, just because I've been so happy with my Fairy Drops Scandal Queen and other brands of mascara, but you can't go wrong with Maybelline or Loreal

Eyeliner: NYX and Loreal's HIP line have such a range of colors

Lipstick: NYX or Revlon

Lipgloss: NYX

Blush: NYX (their bronzers are to dir for and many of them are dupes for Too Faced bronzers, and they have new "shaver" blushes that come in packaging like Smashbox's HALO powders, I'm interested to see them in stores, they're only online so far)

I also reccommend E.L.F.'s Studio line of brushes and their HD finishing powder, it's not as fine of a mill as MUFE or Urban Decay/Too Faced, but it gives very similar results.

Kimmi628

(0) Hearts

Foundation? Maybelline's Dream Smooth Mousse

Concealer? Either Maybellines's super stay 24 hour or physicians formual Conceal RX, both are full coverage concealers, the only down part to them is that there isn't that much of a color selection

Masacra? Maybelline's One by one volume express in waterproof, holds the curl of my eyelashes amazingly.

Lipstick? I don't have a favorite drugstore lipstick, though I do like the color of Rimmel's lipstick in Airy Fairy, it doesn't last that long. I do love Revlon's just bitten kissable balm stains, I have them in Honey and Charm. The packaging of the color seems to be different then the actual color.

Lipgloss? Sally Hansen's moisture twist in Spun Sugar.

Blush? I am in love with all elf products(: So ELF's blush ( from their studio line) in blushing rose, is perfect for my olive-y skin, while peachy keen seems to work with almost everyones skin tone(:

bijouxkristyna

(0) Hearts

The only thing I can think of is Almay eyeshadow trio.  I have tried many drugstore brands in my 20's and was not happy with any but that one.  I wonder if Drugstore brands are made better now?

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

Love Cover Girl LashBlast Mascara. Makes my lashes look great and no smudging or flaking.

Physician's Formula Shimmer Sticks Eyeliner Trio is a steal. They make different sets for different eye colors.

e.l.f. Mineral Blush is the only drugstore brand blush that lasts all day on me. Others fade in an hour.

bearsmom

(0) Hearts

Any Maybelline mascara, especially the XXL varieties.  L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Color Correcting Primer in either pink or apricot depending on your skin tone (you said light/medium but one is for light and one is for medium) is amazing.  L'Oreal True Match Mineral Foundation has a great look, soft and natural with great coverage but not at all heavy or chalky.  Covergirl Lash Exact Volume in the red tube.  Covergirl Smokey Shadow Blast makes a very-easy-to-do smokey eye, but it doesnt travel well :smileysad:  Almay Nearly Naked concealer or clear complextion concealer and wake-up under eye concealer for more serious circles and blemishes.  NYX jumbo eye pencil.  Cover Girl instant cheekbones blush trio in perfect peach.  Covergirl brow shaper and eyeliner.  Smackers lip gloss in vanilla frosting, bubble gum.  A large variety of eyeshadows and lip colors.  Carmex.  If you shop at target check out pixi, sonia kashuk, np set, and jemma kidd!!!  Target also has ELF and I do really like their blush and eyecolors.

glossjuunkiee

(0) Hearts

I only know a drugstore mascara that is my absolute fave...CoverGirl's Exact Eyelights Waterproof Mascara in Black Gold.

The only mascara I'll ever use...until it runs out and I find something from Sephora.

muffinpop

(0) Hearts

I shop in both high end stores and drugstores for make up too. I like to splurge on stuff like eyshadows, lipsticks, and blushes as I don't use them very often and I loooveee benefit's porefessional so I definitely splurge on that too.

As far as drugstore makeup

Foundation: Neutrogena Healthy Skin foundation in Medium Beige 60 (its sheer to medium coverage)

been wanting to try revlon colorstay any suggestions for color? I have dry skin

Concealer: Sonia Kashuk hidden agenda in 07 (I use the orangish color for dark circles under my eyes, i don't find it covers blemishes well though)

Mascara: Mabelline Collasal and Mabelline Falsies - I want to try Mabelline's Falsies Flared

Eyeliner: Revlon Colorstay in Black 

Lips: Chapstick :smileyhappy:

Bronzer: Physician's Formula Bronze Booster in Medium to Dark <---- AMAZING!!

For reference: I'm NC25-NC30 in Mac studio fix fluid, NC30 in concealer, neutral olive undertones,  brown eyes, dark brown hair

amandale

(0) Hearts

I was wondering what everyones favorite drugstore makeup (ELF included!!) was, I'm out on a makeup spree and I want to keep is inexpensive.

Favorite....

Foundation?
Loreal  True Match Foundation - It has pretty nice coverage - what I love the most is the color selection. They're separated by warm tones, neutral tones, and cool tones. 

Concealer?
I honestly use Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer all over my face and it conceals it enough for me. But if I need a little more coverage, I use smashbox's HD liquid concealer. When I had really bad acne a few years ago, I used amazing cosmetic's concealer. It's for heavy heavy coverage and it works wonders if you have a lot of imperfections to cover. A little bit goes a long way. 

Mascara?
Cover girl's lash exact. The purple tube. I've been using it for years. 

Eyeliner?

Revlon's color stay liquid eye liner in black. I'm meh about it. It's okay, I'm not raving about it, nor do I hate it. On my waterline, I use smashbox's cream liner and set it with a black eyeshadow.

Lipstick?

None, really. 

Lipgloss?

In lieu of lipglosses, I usually wear a tinted lip balm. Burt's bees and nivea are my favorite tinted lip balms. 

Blush?

Nars and MAC cosmetics blushes. I love the pigmentation and their colors are very flattering. Worth the splurge in my opinion.  

I'm 17, with light/medium skin, dark brown eyes, and black hair.

muffinpop

(0) Hearts

Oh to asnwer amandale, I'm not a fan of ELF's lipglosses or pencil eyeliners, they feel like they cost a dollar and the pigmentation sucks :smileysad: but i have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by their studio line of brushes. I use the flat topped powder brush to apply foundation like a stippling brush and it's amazing! I'm wary of trying their makeup, but their tools I have to say are pretty good for the price. Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

brandiandi

(0) Hearts

Hi there,

As for foundation I would say Revlon's colorstay, but foundation and concealer are based on such personal preference!

Mascara-Covergirl Lashblast

Eyeliner/Lipstick/Lipgloss/Blush--NYX has some really great products! You can find them at Ulta, but I ordered mine from

beauty joint. It was super fast shipping and great sales. Or you can buy from their website. These products are amazing.

Just youtube some NYX hauls or NYX makeup and see if there is anything you like. Hope this helped!

18psu55

(0) Hearts

Foundation is definitely Neutrogena Healthy Skin. Been using if off and on for years and love it. You might want to try a tinted moisturizer though- I recommend a Neutrogena one. They have pretty good coverage for a TM.

Concealer- Sonia Kashuk! I will be the first to tell anyone how much of a Holy Grail this product is for me. It's the Concealer Quad and the quality is fantastic. Best part, it's onle $9.99!

Mascara- An old classic- Covergirl Lashblast. Works great and it's only $5.

Eyeliner- For a liquid, I have to say the L'Oreal Carbon Black Lineur Intense. So pigmented and easy to work with! Pencil- Revlon colorstay! Cheap and does the job while staying put. Gel- Maybelline eye studio! They have some new fun colors too! Works just as well as my MAC fluidlines.

Lipstick- Try the Revlon Matte lipsticks! Really good quality. 

Lipgloss- I second the NYX post!

Blush- Try the Maybelline dream mousse whipped (not sure if that's the exact name) blushes. For powder blushes, I've never really found ones that live up to my high-end blushes. I like ELF, but never really reach for them.

This is a fun post, I would love to hear other people's suggestions!

scaryjen

(0) Hearts

For drug store makeup, for me, it's all about Rimmel.  I tend to go with black liner and lashes, and dark or neutral smokey eyes.  Rimmel has the perfect color selection for that effect, and it blends like a dream. The same goes for their blushes.  The lipsticks are pretty good, but slightly perfumy.  I also use their concealer sticks. They're not spectacular, but they provide decent coverage.  The price is right, too, even amongst drug store brands.

I also really like Revlon, and have been using their Colorstay foundation for years.  Their lipsticks are a bit pricier compared to others, but the quality really stands out.  They're the only brand I've found that does a really good matte. Colorstay lip products are amazing as well, but very difficult to take off.  I'm a little curious about their Photoready powder/foundation, if anyone here has tried it?

I know it's more for teenagers, but Bonnie Bell does the best lip gloss ever.  They have just about every kind and flavor you could imagine, many with just a hint of color.  I still carry Bonnie Bell Watermelon in my pocket for everyday wear, and was really bummed when they discontinued their LipLites glosses.

As a final note, N.Y.C. nail polishes are great, and dirt cheap to boot.  Also, this ended up being way longer than I meant it to.  Whoops.

midwestmaven

I answered your other question, so let me throw this out there for you (I shop at drugstores AND fancy stores and have tried everything!)

Shopping on a budget--some brands I like:

L'Oreal mineral powder (for face)--I like the True Match Naturale line

Neutrogena nutrashine lipgloss

L'Oreal eyeshadow

Burt's Bees shimmery line (for lips)

Aveeno moisturizer (for skin)

If you go for mascara, I personally like the more natural formulas. They don't seem to flake off or irritate my eyes after a long day as much as others. You could also try an eyelash darkener (that doesn't add length). Whatever you do, make sure you wash your makeup off well at night.

Generally, the stuff that is more natural is better for your skin. And, you usually get what you pay for. If something is more expensive, you're probably going to like it better (which is exactly why so many people spend lots of money at more expensive places!)

Hope that helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • amandale
    • shyvicki
    • brandiandi
    • bijouxkristyna
    • muffinpop