bowlofmushypeas

False lashes - do differences in price translate into quality?

I've been thinking about venturing into the world of falsies and am finding that there's HUGE price differences between different types. Based on old threads and limited personal experience, I definitely get that glue is super important and that no matter how much you spend, you really shouldn't use the same pair too many times. My question is, how much difference is there between more expensive brands like MUA versus cheaper ones? Also, can people recommend some favorite cheaper sets? 

dollface131313

Re: False lashes - do differences in price translate into quality?

(0) Hearts

ive been wearing fake lashes for 6 years now ive bought ones for $50 and ones for $3 most don't seem to be that different as long as they are using real hair . but my favorite by far are ardell and if you want a dramatic lash get the 111 i use them all the time and have never had any problems 

good luck! fake lashes are so fun

lylysa

(0) Hearts

To me, the major difference to zero in on it the type of material used to construct the lashes. Sometimes, rather than natural/real hair, thin plastic is used. I'm not a fan of the plastic ones as they can be stiff and not look as natural as real hair lashes.

If you're just venturing into false lash territory, there's no need to drop $20+ on a pair when you're still mastering technique and application. The brands mentioned below like ELF or Ardell, and even Andrea are great starting points. The Katy Perry lashes are actually made by a company called Eyelure, which also has their own, non-celebrity endorsed line and aren't super pricey either. I find that generic beauty stores or even Sally Beauty Supply is a great place to start for lower cost lashes without sacrificing quality. Though online sites and even places like Ebay have great deals on multiple lash packs, you can't always be guaranteed the make/material and it's better to see the product in person when starting off until you get more of a handle on things. 

Try looking up lashes that offer Invisi-Bands. These offer a softer, more flexible line where the lashes are attached and will be easier to work with compared to a strip of lashes that is too solid. They also blend easier with your lash line, especially for beginners.

HIgh end lines or more expensive lashes to me are reserved for more editorial use or special occasions. I mean, the lash world is pretty varied, so if you do enough digging and research, a basic pair that can run you $18 from a more expensive line can have a dupe in a more cost effective line for about $4. 

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

It depends on what you're looking for with the lashes.  When I want drama, I go for MUFE...  they have the most outrageous lashes.  For everyday wear, I go cheap and go drugstore.  But glue is the key.  I use Duo...

bowlofmushypeas

(0) Hearts

Thanks everyone! That was super helpful. Off to find me a good pair or cheapos!!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

My favorite are the cheep $1 ELF ones I get at Target. They are easy to apply, last all night & I can toss them when I'm done. I have buying an expensive pair & trying to clean them & re-salvage them for another use. The glue included is decent, but I use a black glue from duo. 

Daniela1387

(0) Hearts

I dont wear false eyelashes but have heard from beauty gurus on youtube that there are some from drug stores brands that are as good if not better than some high end brands. I dont kno of any brands however since i dont wear them. But high end brands don't always equal better quality. Look at mascara, foundations, blushes and eyeshadows to name a few there are plenty of cases where elf, nyx or a variety of drug store brands are just as good as the high end brands andddd much more cost effective. Hmm now that Im thinking about it I think I wana try false eyelashessss so i shall stalk this post to get suggestions =)

makeupobesessed

Ive used the lashes from Urban Decay $15, as they were a gift, and Ive used the Sephora brand, $8.  I cant tell the difference between the two at all.  I dont wear them enough to have tried a whole array, but the Sephora brand works just fine and they have many designs to hose from.

Glue is the important factor, and the Duo is what I and many others think is the best.  Ive tried the cheap glue that comes with the lashes and theres no competition.  I will say that Duo is slightly cheaper at Target than Sephora.  

Now, if there will just be a thread that can make me an expert at applying them, I'll be set.  In theory Im great, In experience, not so much.  It takes a lot of effort for me to apply them, but once I do, its great.

kd006

I love ardell demi whispys. I usually only wear lashes on nights out. I'm not a day to day lash wearer but on a night out I love to throw on a pair of lashes. I have tried mac ones, my favorites being 4 lash and 3 lash. I think it's all about cleaning them to make them last as long as possible while still making them look great. I don't like the duo glue like a lot of people. I like the revlon. It has a nice wand to apply it so you don't get too much and it just turns out great. If you want information on cleaning your lashes to make them last as long as possible, check out emily noel on youtube. She has a great tutorial on cleaning your lashes to make them last. She also has great tutorials on applying them if you need help.

kenny

I pretty much agree with @JenBlush. While the super cheap ones can really look cheap, many other drugstore brands have pretty decent lashes. I definitely agree the Ardell ones are great without breaking your budget. I also like Katy Perry's. Since fake eyelashes should only be used a couple times, I'm not sure it really is worth it to spend over 20 dollars a pair unless they are really unique for an event. But as you already know don't cheap out on glue, the experience of using cheap glue is just terrible!

JenBlush

I mean, obviously you cant compare $1 Elf eyelashes to more expenive ones. The Elf one are plastic-y and look too unnatural. But other drugstore brands are not that different from the higher end ones. The higher the price, the better the quality and the durability along with the naturalness of the lashes... and the NAME! <<thats why its so much more pricey

My favorite set which are "cheap" are ARDELL lashes. They can be found in drug stores, but there are so many varieties!! These are one of the few cheap lashes that compete with higher end ones in my case! I dont find a need to purchase more expensive ones if these do just the same job! 

roxystar4

i love the individual lashes from ardell (short black) ! sooo good. I put them on and my husband cannot tell I am wearing fakes, and they really look real, just super beautiful and full (i usually put 3 on each side to add some Oomph).  Def does the trick.  

I have a pair of sephora strip lashes and I like those too (better than Ardell Demi Wispies- which are too long for me. I did trim them and they look better now).  But I feel the strip lashes look fake on me and prefer the individual sets. 

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

oh and I only use the individual ones once. I know it seems wasteful but they are too hard to clean (for me).  I do clean and keep the strip lashes; I wear them several times before letting them rest in the trash can

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • poemelyric
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4
    • makeupobesessed