Drugstore or High End?

sephoralovex

Drugstore or High End?

Just beginning this year I've noticed that I have started to purchase more high end products... Sephora. I somewhat stopped buying from the drugstore. I think mainly due to my sensitive skin and how bad it reacted it a lot of drugstore products (my personal experience). Though, there are products that I only go to the drugstore to buy. Like mascara, eyeliner, and revlon lipsticks. Other then that, I find myself mainly buying higher end makeup for everything else. I guess it's just personal preference. 

What's your opinion on drugstore and high end? Do you prefer one over the other?

roxystar4

Re: Drugstore or High End?

I like drugstore for some things and high end for most. I have found that high end products, for the most part, are better quality. I have had a few instances where a product from CVS or Walgreens is all dried up or chalky, etc (and these are products that you tube beauty gurus like & rave about).

I too have had bad reactions to drugstore brands (revlon lipstick).

runy

Oh yea I forgot to mention that sometimes you get old product at the drugstore.  Yuck.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

@runy I think I have gotten a few old items from the drugstore - the powder would not come up from the pan (even rubbing it with a tissue). eww

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I prefer high-end cuz I need to find things to buy so I can get the Sephora promos they are usually better quality.

Skincare-wise it probably doesn't matter for teens/young people, but once you are ~25, you probably want to start looking into anti-aging. There are some good ones for first sign of aging in drugstores, but for serious anti-aging (ppl 45+) then high-end definitely is more effective and is better at catering toward more extreme skins (extremely dry/oily/sensitive etc).

Cosmetic-wise it's a mix. The biggest difference between most drugstore and high-end is the staying power. The color/texture might be the same, but for important occasions I would like serious quality/staying power for my makeup. Most people wear sheer/med colors, but for truly full coverage or opaque make up, it's rare in drugstore, tho they are getting better. My decision may or may not also be influenced by the fancy/elegant packaging of some high-end products.

ps. The only exception is body sunscreen. I could careless if I look a little greasy since I only wear it for occasions where no one cares, and it's one summer only before it expires. And Neutrogena makes good ones.

roxystar4

@beautytester I was literally chuckling out loud while reading your comments that had the lines thru them!

sephoramusthave

Most of my makeup collection is high end, but I do have my drugstore staples. I love rimmel London as a whole, and cant live without their stay matte powders. Burts Bees Lip shimmers and their lipbalms have a permanent home in my purse no matter how many high end replacements I have. For mascara I really like loreal voluminous carbon black and Maybelline the falsies. I've also been really loving flower beauty from walmart, I'm on my second bottle of the about face foundation. Ecotools and real techniques are my favorite brushes, I love them just as much or more than my high end ones. I love the yes brand, especially for their wipes and mask. And for sunscreen, I'm pretty much loyal to Neutrogena pure and free.

Things like eyeshadow, blush, bronzer, highlighter, lipstick/gloss I tend to go high end only because the pigment and lasting power is wayyy better then drugstore. A lot of drugstore lipsticks have a funny smell or taste, or burn my lips, and I've never had that problem with end ones. Plus, its gotten to the point where drugstore makeup costs about the same as high end ones. You can get a MAC lipstick at the cosmetics company store for $10.50, so why would I buy a drugstore lipstick that costs $9.99? Things like that usually make me choose high end instead.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I forgot to mention that I also tend to go high end because of the ingredients. Yeah, ELF products are cheap, but they contain the most horrible cancer causing ingredients. I'm not saying that high end makeup is chemical free, but they are made with better quality chemicals/ingredients.

kimmi1115

I was cracking up, too lol.  

ChicDabbler

Yeah, I'm kind of addicted to the line-through-text thing, tho if I do too much of it, my posts will start to look like a graded English essay or something. =P

annonymous1

Makeup would be the best usually from high end, personally i cannot wrap my head around spending $50 for a cream or wash or lotion, so usually i resort back to neutrogena or olay from the drugstore, my liqiud liner always ends up being wet and wild at only $2!  also i like the false lashes at the drug store better then the lashes at more expensive stores. 

annonymous1

Makeup would be the best usually from high end, personally i cannot wrap my head around spending $50 for a cream or wash or lotion, so usually i resort back to neutrogena or olay from the drugstore, but eyeliners and foundations and things like that i love the high end.  also i like the false lashes at the drug store better then the lashes at more expensive stores, so if i mess them up or loose them i'm not worried about how i lost money with them. i guess its all up to the person though. 

aviscardi

I prefer high end... most of my makeup is higher end. But I will say the one thing thats turning around from the drugstore is the lipsticks

lylysa

For me, it really boils down to the individual item itself. Drug store brands have stepped up their game and it's funny because lot of high end and drug store brands share parent companies so they essentially come from the same manufacturer.

I believe in being able to test and wear product to know whether it's truly suitable and best for you and it's slightly easier with high end items because you can try/test them in stores instead of buying a shade or item blind, going home, trying it, then making a trip back to return it if it doesn't work out.

janinebt

I'm pretty neutral! I have a lot of higher end brands that I enjoy, but I also have favorite drug store products as well. I really like drug store mascaras, liners, lashes and nail products. Some of my favorite brands are Wet N' Wild, Revlon, Burt's Bees, and NYX.

I've said it numerous times before, but I NYX has some real stand products. My favorites are their blushes, lipliners (they have every crazy lip color pencil you can imagine), and their glosses.

Burt's is nice for skincare items, I use their cuticle butter almost daily (it smells like fresh lemons). Wet N' Wild's jumbo lip balms have been a long time staple in my beauty collection. They last a while and aren't drying. The Revlon Lip Butters are an amazing value and come in a lot of different colors :smileyhappy:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
kimmi1115

I still haven't tried NYX!  I keep saying I will when I go to Ulta, but then I get distracted by nail polish.  Someone needs to come to Ulta with me and just drag me to the NYX section lol.

sephoralovex

I love NYX! They do have awesome blushes and lipliners. 

Spyski

I was somewhat of the same last year, then I found Sephora and started reading reviews and advice about certain products online. I find splurging on a good skincare regimen is a must! Unfortunately, "good" skincare products for me means buying high end. I've been a fellow user of brands like Clearasil and Neutrogena for the last 10 years to help with my blemishes, and they just didn't agree with my skin til I found out about Murad, Boscia, and Clinique. These brands have all helped with my cystic acne from hormonal breakouts which really improved my skin over the past year more than it has ever improved in the last 10!

As for makeup, I've noticed a difference with higher pigmentation of blushes and bronzers with higher end makeup. Foundations are hit and miss, but when you find your holy grail...you'll never turn back! Mascara, eye shadows, eye liners...alot of these are no different than some drug store brands IMO. Lipsticks are my favorite makeup item, so splurging on those are luxuries to me. Revlon does make some of the BEST lip products sold at your everyday drug store. Maybellene is pretty good as well.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 58 replies
  • 103 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • runy
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • islandqt
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon