sephoralovex

Drugstore or High End?

Just beginning this year I've noticed that I have started to purchase more high end products... Sephora. I somewhat stopped buying from the drugstore. I think mainly due to my sensitive skin and how bad it reacted it a lot of drugstore products (my personal experience). Though, there are products that I only go to the drugstore to buy. Like mascara, eyeliner, and revlon lipsticks. Other then that, I find myself mainly buying higher end makeup for everything else. I guess it's just personal preference. 

What's your opinion on drugstore and high end? Do you prefer one over the other?

Candy357

Re: Drugstore or High End?

(0) Hearts

For make up, high end. The quality is better and it lasts longer.

At the drugstore I still buy make up whipes and face cream, because I've never changed the brand and afraid to, since my skin reacts to anything I change. As in make up cleanser and creams. It has no issues with foundation changes or any of that.

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

I prefer high end, there are a few things I get at the drugstore

simple wipes 

loreal mascara 

clear shampoo and conditioner

I find the quality of the product from high end stores tend to be better than drugstores. 

crayzeeRN

Definitely prefer high-end- probably 90% of my purchases. The only "drug-store" products I buy regularly are Simple wipes, nail polish like OPI and Essie, Neutrogena sunscreen in the summer, and some haircare products.

Londonlover101

drugstore! my money cant all be spent on a tiny tube of cosmetic it goes towards other things as well but I will admit I love the occasional splurge every now and then :smileyhappy:

Kyndra

I started out with drug store products at age 14 but over the years I've come to just like higher end products more. They don't irritate my skin or make my face look cakey. There are certaindrug store products I will use like a concealer or bb cream here and there. But if I'm doing my makeup every single day because I don't want to waste my good makeup so I'll use more inexpensive products or higher end products I know I have a good supply of. But as far as skin care though I'm definitely more high end

NotCrocker

(0) Hearts

I prefer high end 98% of the time. There are a few things I like from the drugstore, including some NYX products and a few lipsticks. But just glancing over at my makeup area, that represents just 4 products. I like using drugstore products for testing new colours on me, like a violet NYX lipstick, that I now know I may not but in from a high-end brand, because the colour was just not right. 

FireSpinner

Definately prefer high-end. Once i discovered Sephora, i was doomed :smileytongue: (in a good way lol) I don't buy anything from the drugstore now and am slowly phasing out all my drugstore stuff. The quality of the high-end products is amazing. 

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

I totally agree.

sephoralovex

(0) Hearts

I so agree! :smileyhappy:

Mollycj

(0) Hearts

I started out with BE in 7th grade then switched to drugstore the rest of middle in thoughts of saving some money. But what I didn't realize was that I ended up wasting more on buying products that didn't work, so half way through freshman year I switched back to Sephora. The only thing I buy from drugstores are mascaras and blotting papers.

linda711

(0) Hearts

I'm not gonna lie, there's something that make me feel incredibly  pampered knowing I am wearing a high end pricey brand, lol.  But honestly, I use high end exclusively for my skin care, and I am very flexible when it comes to cosmetics.  If it looks good, then I buy it..I think cosmetics should be fun.

lecia1167

(0) Hearts

I started with Avon a long time ago. And then I went to store brand and some MAC. Now I'm almost all Sephora, except for my Queen Collection Bronzer, which is amazing.

starletta8

It really goes in waves for me- and is usually directly correlated with where I'm living and what my disposable income is.

Teenager: All high-end Clinique and a bit of Estee Lauder- my parents helped with that.

College: Mostly drugstore- this was the infancy of internet shopping and we couldn't get UPS in the dorms.  Nearest decent mall was an hour's drive.

Grad school: Mostly high-end since I was working in one of the most upscale malls in the country (read: access)

Unemployed: Drugstore with coupons

Steady Income: High-end, until...

Realized I wanted to be a homeowner: drugstore with coupons.

Now: 99.9% high end.

drrragon

[ Edited ]

I started out buying beauty products only from Sephora, but lately have been branching out and discovering good drugstore finds!  I've found good foundations, concealers (Hard Candy Glamoflage!), mascara, setting powder, brushes, moisturizing lipsticks, all for a fraction of what I normally would have paid for high-end brands.  For eyeshadows I absolutely still prefer my Laura Mercier, UD, Stila, Lorac, Lancome, etc although when experimenting with new or wild colors I've learned to buy drugstore versions since I tend to use them very infrequently.

hydee77

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'll have to try the Glamoflauge. I've heard great things about it.  I like the Hard Candy Blush in the shade "Pin-Up". It's a real light peachy shimmer.

kimmi1115

I've read good things online about the Hard Candy Glamoflage, but I haven't tried it.  Have you tried any of their new polishes?  I've seen STUNNING pictures of them on Instagram.

drrragon

[ Edited ]

I got a MUFE sample from Sephora and bought a Hard Candy Glamoflage from Walmarts, and honestly I think they are both awesome for covering blemishes.  I got light-medium in Hard Candy which is too light for me though.....it really is more "light" than "medium"!    Haven't tried any polishes yet but if I run into Walmart again anytime soon I will take a look :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

It sounds like I need to pay more attention to the Hard Candy aisle next time lol.  

kenny

You definitely should, I agree glamoflage is a really great concealer. I also like their polishes, they are great if you like sparkle! They last about a week, and very easy to remove for glitter polishes. I actually also like their face primer, it keeps me from getting oily and my makeup lasts all day, although if you don't like silcone-based primers, you will not like this one.

Seiba

Good question! I started out at the high end too, with my mom buying me the sephora eyeshadow palettes for my birthday. It wasn't until I discovered Coastal Scents and their 252 palettes that are constantly on sale that are essentially the same as Sephora's palettes but waaaaaay cheaper that I started bouncing back and forth between high ends and drugstore items. Things like eyeshadow (well, with 252 colours to choose from, why bother buying more now?), lips, and blush I search for cheaper prices, unless I can justify quality (how long it lasts and how does my skin react to it, and what's the colour payoff?) like Tarte's cheek stains, which set my blush search back at least two years. Things for the face like primer, foundation (Korean BB creams are my go-to right now!), and powder are fine for high end because its the base that ties it all together. Also, I can swatch em in store hah. My skin colour's wonky. 

Oh, and brushes. I don't skimp out of brushes. I want synthetic, cruelty free, high quality brushes because I want these babies to last and apply makeup well, regardless of eyeshadow/lipstick/blush quality. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 58 replies
  • 103 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • runy
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • islandqt
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon