sephoralovex

Drugstore or High End?

Just beginning this year I've noticed that I have started to purchase more high end products... Sephora. I somewhat stopped buying from the drugstore. I think mainly due to my sensitive skin and how bad it reacted it a lot of drugstore products (my personal experience). Though, there are products that I only go to the drugstore to buy. Like mascara, eyeliner, and revlon lipsticks. Other then that, I find myself mainly buying higher end makeup for everything else. I guess it's just personal preference. 

What's your opinion on drugstore and high end? Do you prefer one over the other?

kimmi1115

Re: Drugstore or High End?

As many others have said, I use both.  However, most of my collection is high end.  I am a loyal Urban Decay fan!   I have used high end products that were horrible, and I have use drug store products that are beyond amazing.  

Since I only need sheer coverage for a foundation product, I have trouble opening my wallet for some products.  If I need sheer coverage, I don't want to spend $50 for it, especially since I'm on a college budget lol.  I still haven't found my HG foundation product, but the Neutrogena foundation products are quite nice.  

The original Urban Decay Big Fatty mascara was my HG mascara until they decided to change the brush and formula.  However, Maybelline mascaras work amazingly well for me.  

Revlon Lip Butters.  Enough said lol.

However, drugstore eyeshadows cannot compare to my Urban Decay eyeshadows.  UD shadows got me into the brand.

Belle345

(0) Hearts

I use both, to be honest. I've found that Revlon ColorStay foundation has been the best match for my skin, but that I love Urban Decay eyeliner and DiorShow mascara.

Apocalyptica

For me its more about quality than price. If I like something enough I will use it no matter how much it cost or where it came from. I was just introduced to "elf" a few months ago and I really love some of their stuff. I also just started wearing mascara which happens to be Cover Girl. Sephora has some of my favorite brands like Kat Von D and Origins, so I will always go there for those. But if I want something fun like glitter eyeliner I will probably just go with elf or a clear top coat for nail polish I'll stick with my CVS $1.99 Confetti. lol

roxystar4

i have tried a LOT of high end concealers under my eyes (NARS, MUFE, Benefit Erase Pastes, Bare Minerals, I probably tried others too)... and they were caky/ accentuated fine lines.   but I found a drugstore under eye product that I LOVE = Garnier Roller Ball Anti Dark Circle in sheer tint. It is awessssoooommmmmmmeee

islandqt

Drugstore makeup has come a looong way but when it comes to my face I usually stick to high-end. That being said I really love the Revlon Colorstay whipped foundation and the primers from L'oreal. I also stick to BB creams from the drugstore. I just figure that with that little bit of coverage I just wouldn't feel comfortable spending big bucks.

While I love the mascara from the drugstore I will say that I never experience problems with flakiness from the higher-end ones.

Some drugstore stuff is not so good for sure but I guess for the price people let a LOT slide. Other than Milani I have yet to find a brand of drugstore blush that works well.

Drugstore brands and items I  really love:

Milani lipsticks (awesome!), blushes, concealers, nail polishes, mineral baked eyeshadows, eyeliners and lipliners.

NYX lipsticks, primers, eyeshadows

L'oreal infallible eyeshadows

Revlon lipsticks, nail polishes

Maybelline color tattoos, BB cream

Iman BB cream, pressed powders

Cover Girl queen collection bronzers

High end brands that will prob never get my money:

Chantecaille

Cle de Peau

Serge Normant

High end brands that MIGHT get my money:

Tom Ford

YSL

Dolce & Gabanna

DesertRose0706

i buy what works.  if it is $2 and it works, great.  If its $25 and it works, i;m willing to pay for it.  I have been finding high end products that work better than any drugstore ones I found found, so thats what i;ve been buying lately.  Sometime it can be hard to spend $30 on one item, but I find that in the long run if I buy one item at $30, it is better than buying multiple $5 items of the same thing because I don't like them and keep trying to find a different one that works.  lol

prosopon

I started using makeup from the drug store until I was introduced to bare minerals and I became a full convert to the high end side.  As my money situation has now altered my budget, I have been called back to the drug store.

But, I have learned what I can save on (mostly from emilynoel83 on youtube) and what I need to splurge on.  Certain makeup and skincare products I can't give up and then for the rest I have enjoyed my youtube searches for cheaper alternatives.

One thing I have noticed, the drug stores are a little behind the times, but they get the "new" innovations eventually.  I just bought a bottle of drug store argan oil with a coupon for $4 and it worked for me just as well as the Josie Maran argan oil hair serum.  Major score!

dannyc

Just about every drugstore product has disappointed me. The only item I use on occasion is a Wet & Wild shadow palette & EOS lip balm. All the mascaras & eye liners I purchase on impulse I end up tossing.  

kimmi1115

Just as I was about to compose a post, supper is finished cooking lol.  I'll return later lol.  

AlwaysGlamorous

Ingredients are really important to me and especially because I have oily, very acne prone skin, I have to be careful with what I put on my face or I will have a cystic acne mountain range on my face faster than you can say mineral oil. That being said, the only item that I use from a drugstore on a daily basis are my makeup removing cloths; I then go on to cleanse with a Boscia or Philosophy cleanser, both available at Sephora. 

Just remember--you may be able to find dupes for makeup but there are no dupes in skincare. 

arielaaaaaaaa

I first got into Make-up when a Sephora store opened near me. I was 16 and never wore makeup so when i checked it out i fell in love. I started out with high end makeup so i couldn't imagine really buying from drugstores. I have one exception though. My favorite eye shadow i wear all the time is Wet and Wild. So that is the only thing i will buy from a drugstore. I have tried many drugstore products to see if i could save money on makeup but i'm just not liking anything i try. I will probably always buy from Sephora. 

miabt

While there are a few items that you can get away with skimping on, my personal stance on it is "you get what you pay for".  I'd rather pay a bit more for higher quality, especially when it comes to skincare.  Even basic items, like nail polish, you can tell the difference with.  A $1.99 NYC polish that needs 3+ coats vs a $9 OPI polish that gives great results with 2?  I'll pay a bit more.  Now will I splurge every time for a $24 Dior polish, that doesn't need a base or top coat to look fab?  Probably not always... but that one staple color that I use over & over, sure!  Paying a little more for faster, longer lasting results with my makeup is totally worth it to me! 

xo, Mia

Daniela1387

I actually started out with high end brands when i got into makeup about a year ago and now after researching different makeup tips and tutorials I have found that there are some drugstore brands that are totally to die for. I now frequent both Ulta (which carries lots of drugstore brands including Nyx and some brands that Sephora doesn't carry in store like Lorac) and Sephora pretty evenly. Makeup I now realize is allll about trial and error sometimes high end brands have failed me where drugstore brands have been wins =)

poemelyric

I tend to go high end because when I go to a drugstore, i'm usually in a rush to get out.  My low budget addiction is Avon but I usually end up giving most of it away because the colors don't match the brochure and I buy when I want to try out a trend before I commit to something expensive.  I think that's another reason why I like high end.  You get to try it before you buy it.

mkupgk

It depends on the product but I kind of prefer high end more

mityren

I definitely buy high end for face products, (foundation,powder,moisturizer etc) except oil of Olay I looove that stuff! 

Mascara eh I can do either. I love the falsies. Eye liner I'm kinda a snob, I do high end b/c I don't think fire should be a component in applying a product to my eye area.  

Eye shadow and nail polish either or. 

Lip products I like higher end but I still love baby soft and burts bees and did, who am I kidding! If it's a lip product I'll buy it from where ever!

kenny

I think I tend to be more high end. When I first started getting into makeup, I had many bad experiences with drug store items and once I got into higher end makeup there was just no going back. Although drugstore brands have really been stepping up their game lately, the quality of many products are excellent, just as good as high end.

Where drugstore products start to fall flat is in terms of reliability and consistency. The quality of products within a brand and even in the same product (different shades), can be so variable. An eye shadow in one shade may be excellent and another absolutely terrible. Drugstore products also usually don't have great packaging. Packaging tends to be flimsy and easy to break, or reads very juvenile.

sephoralovex

Yeah, when I first started getting into makeup my mom was all about high end makeup. She didn't want me using drugstore but since it was cheap i experimented with a lot. Now i hardly use any of my old drugstore makeup... such a waste of money that could have gone to high end products haha!

runy

[ Edited ]

I too have noticed that I've shifted from drugstore makeup to high end.  Mostly it's because of quality and the trial and error with the drugstore it too time consuming for me.  I'm not big on returning products, so I like to research before I buy.  Also, recently I've noticed that drugstore brands have stepped up their game.  However, I have to rely on online reviews to make sure something is worth trying and buying. I also never pick the right color at the drugstore. In addition, drugstore prices have gone up quite a bit - to a point where they come close to some lower end items on high end brands.  I feel for that price- why mess with the trial and error?  I really want to try the Olay CC cream, for example.  But feel like if I don't like it I'll just hate myself for going through that process.

For skincare, I sort of do a mix. I do have some drugstore skincare I've really liked- like right now the gel moisturizer from Garnier really works wonders on my skin and is the best moisturizer I've used in a long time. 

The last drugstore cosmetic I purchased was Khroma Kardashian Nude Lip (I know, I know, why am I buying a Kardashian product anyway?  Mock me all you want).  It burned my lip!  And it was like $15!  I actually did go and return it the next day but this is exactly why I don't like to buy drugstore makeup unless I know the product.

beautylovingirl

I definitely prefer high end it just seems as in my opinion you waste so much money on things from the drugstore and with all the money your using on drugstore products you can have better quality high end  products.:smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

I agree!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 58 replies
  • 103 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • runy
    • kenny
    • dannyc