JenBlush

Does your makeup have to match your clothes?

I haven't seen this question, but I am curious. For example, if you are wearing green, do you/should you always incorporate green somewhere in your makeup to match your clothes? Or, could/do you wear a green eyeshadow with a purple shirt?

I always try to either go nuetral, a cat eye, or somewhat incorporate the color into what i am wearing. 

poshified

Re: Does your makeup have to match your clothes?

(0) Hearts

I try to match my makeup to my clothes on the days when I can. I'm someone who loves wearing color clothing, and sometimes pulling an eye look to match it can be frowned upon at my work environment, hence, my neverending need for neutral eyeshadows :smileywink:

melissabt

It doesn't have to match but, I like it to compliment my clothes. Like if I'm wearing a soft coral I will usually pair it with a bright coral lipstick.

<3 Melissa
Meg82

I tend to give myself a once over as I'm leaving to make sure I'm not wearing something horribly clashy, but usually I don't work too hard at it.

The one exception is reds.  I'm a fan of pink tops and also a fan of red lipstick and I try to make sure I never combine them.  It tends to make the lipstick look orange (which is not a flattering color on me) or the pink look off somehow so I don't wear them together.

lili5

I think your makeup should go with your coloring, period!  If you have fair skin, use makeup to coordinate with that, if you have dark skin,do the same.  Clothes should compliment you, not the other way around.  Choose clothes fhat flatter YOU!

sephoramusthave

Nope. I match my makeup to my skintone and how it looks on me, but never really to my clothes. Sometimes I'll do it just for fun (if I was wearing a nice navy dress I would wear navy shadow)

beautylovingirl

No I don't match my clothes exactly I will do different combinations depending on the contrast and colors of my outfits.I generally run closer to neutrals to bring it all together nothing too bright or to dull.

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

yeah i wear a lot of blue clothes so my eyeshadow is always blue.

prosopon

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with onomotopoeia9.  Here are some pictures of complimentary colors on a color wheel. Complimentary colors are across from eachother on the color wheel. (See the popped up sections below).  And as rikki and onomotopoeia9 both mentioned, you have to take into account the shade.  So the furthest colors away from the center would compliment eachother (labeled 1), then the next closest (labeled 2), and so forth.

image.jpg

And some specific combinations.image.jpg

onomotopoeia9

Great explanation of the color wheel, @prospon!!! Its amazing how there actually is a science to matching colors.

JenBlush

That is really great!!!! I have never seen that color wheel before with the numbering! And you guys are right!! the shade really does come into play!!

roxystar4

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i dont match all the time but I try to go with similar tones (warm or cool)

onomotopoeia9

[ Edited ]

Matching your makeup to our clothing can be a hit or miss.

Here are some hints:

• Complementary colors are often the way to go - that is, if they are truly complementary. Find a color that brings contrast but does not clash. Like what @rikkie wrote about the "bright acid green and a lacy lavender shirt"
  • If you have blonde hair, fair skin, and are wearing all very light colors, like whites, creams, champagnes, don't go for an all-nude look because that will wash you out. Add something that doesn't clash with your style. A coral lip, for example might compliment.
  • Be careful with color - some colors, such as yellow can wash you out.
  • Lipstick is the hardest to match -  usually better not to match to your clothing, with red as exception.

For eye makeup:

• If you are wearing a multicolored outfit, picking one of those colors that you would like to bring out can look great.
  • Generally, a soft wash of a color on your eyelids can be pretty safe if it has neutral undertones:

Have fun with it and good luck!!!

JenBlush

GREAT  POINTS! if i could give you more hearts, i would! <3 !!

*writes down notes on paper*

rikkie

Very good points! Especially the nude look with light clothing and hair, you don't want to look like some sort of ghost.

white.jpg

It may work for one photo if you are a model, but imagine seeing her walking around the mall or something in real life, just weird.

onomotopoeia9

Super cool pic! Although if I met her walking down the street, I would probably assume she was a ghost

JenBlush

Haha! yep! don't want to scare anyone!

rikkie

I'd wear green eyeshadow with a purple shirt, as long as it wasn't like bright acid green and a lacy lavender shirt or something. Contrast is A OK to me, but it needs to still look good, no red shirt and bright green shadow, ick.

So I'd say you don't need to be totally color coordinated, just make sure it doesn't look like you got ready to go out in complete darkness and just put on whatever came to hand!

michmo

I do not match my makeup to my clothes, but I try to use colors to compliment my clothing choices.  

If I were wearing green, I'd probably do a natural eye or a very soft pinkish color maybe if I were wearing mint for example.  

If I'm in black I may add more color into my eye. 

Also I try to balance the amount of color between lips and eyes.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 37 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • melissabt
    • poshified
    • roxystar4
    • beautylovingirl