TylerTremallose

Does Marc Jacobs ACTUALLY work on his products?

[ Edited ]

Sephora posted a few videos and he seems to talk more about the packaging than the product itself.

He seems kinda clueless about his stuff in fact. Or in my opinion he does.

Does he actually know about the actual makeup or just the packaging?

If just feels awkward watching him and it seems like hes trying to figure out what to say about the product. 

What do yall think?

gogreyhound

Re: Does Marc Jacobs ACTUALLY work on his products?

Wow! You touched on a sensitive subject with this one! :smileyhappy:  

TylerTremallose

It seems that way!

gogreyhound

PS your little dog is SO cute!! :smileyhappy:

nhunka

(0) Hearts

To be fair MJ is a brand like any other - some products are worth HG status while others are not so good. I own all MJ brushes and they are among the best brushes out there. His eyeliners are the most long wearing. I have even slept with his black eyeliner on and it was still fine in the morning. I have also heard rave reviews about his bronzer. 

His lip products, eyeshadows and foundations are ok. The concealer however is really nice.

I dont see why a brand that designs clothes cannot produce good quality makeup. 

Sonny4President

[ Edited ]

I disagree with anyone who says clothing company's CAN'T EXCEL in the makeup industry. I first thought negatively about clothing company's not being able to produce makeup because of Forever 21's line... I mean SOME company's can't (sounds a little hypercritical) but lines like Victoria secrets I would totally give it a try, I wouldn't say I would try ALL, but the highlighter VS has looks really cool... it all comes down to each of the items, and if YOU THINK they are hit or miss... my thoughts all changed when I put Chanel's name into play, they were originally a designer company but they then branches to perfume and jewelry and such...

You have to realize, yes... they are designers, but they also have a whole team of people that do the other aspects of things, the people who help think/design the model itself, etc.

Plus, not everyone is fit for modeling their own product... some love to talk about their products (Jerrod), and some would rather hire someone to explain it instead

emmaclaire

Actually Coco Chanel originally made hats not clothing.  And she started producing and selling jewelry and perfume very shortly after opening her second boutique.

#themoreyouknow

sjpayne

nbclogo2.gif

glossforevery1

(0) Hearts

What more should he have said in 30 seconds....he talks about the amazing design and that the formula is rich with coconut and cucumber...

RandeeBT

Hi TylerTremallose!

Marc Jacobs definitely works on all of his products. I know he spent a very long time developing the eyeshadows and lipsticks because he wanted the pigmentation to be on par with other high end brands. When Marc Jacobs developed his line with Sephora, he was very specific about how he wanted everything. He said he did not want to put his name on anything unless it was the highest quality possible and products that he could be proud of! 

Best,
Randee
TylerTremallose

(0) Hearts

Thank you for that information! :smileyvery-happy:

EvangelineDamon

I'm glad you brought that to our attention.

I know MJ would not put his name on something he did not believe in or is a mediocre product.

The clips are funny to me, but after reading starsandbucks perspective, I can see why he's only talking about the design/packaging.

It would have been nice to see a swatch, but I can just swatch it myself next time I'm in Sephora.

Thanks

TylerTremallose

Yeah I think its just the clips that bother me, because he sounds like hes clueless.

Im sure there are more to it but I wish they showed that in the video.

redwagon44

(0) Hearts

Pretty sure any designer named makeup just has their seal of approval. I don't think anyone expects them to be developing them in labs. 

m3rma1d

[ Edited ]

What next, Christian Dior didn't actually make my lippies and mascaras?  :smileysurprised:

:smileytongue: :smileytongue: :smileytongue: :smileytongue:

fatimamummy

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:  you are a natural :smileywink:

kellsmuneoka

I think it's really not his problem to know about the makeup because people are still going to go out and buy it because it's Marc Jacobs. Yes, the titles of the videos are misleading because you would think he would explain more about how the products work rather than the packaging, but I do think the packaging/name is a big selling point for people. I think even if a product is crappy...the packaging SOMETIMES makes up for it. I've had a couple hits and misses with MJ but I do enjoy the packaging and will try more of his products on my own instead of hearing him attempt to talk about his products lol.

glossforevery1

I'm really saddened by all of these posts...these are 30 second clips, have you ever tried to make a video on Instagram for the 15 seconds your allowed to EXPLAIN a makeup product....because I have and it's impossible (TRY IT). I think these videos did what they are intended to do, and he focused on the right points. Marc Jacobs is a major designer, does he have a makeup line, yes, is that what he is know for? No! Marc is talking about the packaging in these clips for many reasons....the first being that he IS a designer, who is known for making elegant, classy, ahead of the class designs and his makeup lines packaging CLEARLY mirrors that. The first thing you notice about this fall line is the packaging!! It literally made me stop in my tracks, just like he has the same idea with his jewelry, bags, etc. The main focus was the packaging because it's beautiful and unlike anything we have ever seen in the makeup world. It's elegant, simplistic and expensive. Are you paying for the brand partly, yes, just like when you buy that YSL lipstick, but no one makes you. Another key point is that is the packaging awesome, yes, but is the product awesome?? Part of why the videos were made this way was the intrigue, the desire for the unknown....no one got their paws on this, no one on YouTube was mailed out mass packages for review (cough, benefit their real liner) no blog has swatches or an early review, their are only these videos, which gives serious mystery to the products themselves....it makes me want to buy it, to have it in my hands first, to see what the prize in the gorgeous packaging is....and you know why?? Because his name means quality!! Your paying for a name that insures you will be receiving a top of the line product, a product that will be envied, a product that is cutting edge, a product that has prestige, care and detail. Everyone in the makeup world knows packaging is EVERYTHING!! BUT- the bottom line is his products DO preform!! His eyeliners as someone mentioned are expensive, but the packaging is amazing and the eyeliner is some of the best in the business, they are beautiful colors and they do not move period. I love his gel foundation, the siren palette is beyond beautiful, his bronzers, his lipsticks, blush, need I go on...They are fabulous!! If I am paying a big price tag for something it's because it's worth it. I think the videos were great and did what they were intended to do perfectly....invoke mystery in what's inside the gorgeous Marc Jacobs designed packaging, to get you to order to find out for yourself. It got me to order!! No brand is perfect, and I am sure their are products people don't like from him, or I wouldn't purchase, just like if I get the products I ordered and they are crap then they are going back, I'm not going to pay $28 for a lipstick I hate just because it looks cool. For Marc to talk about the ingredients in his foundation etc would be odd, it's not a company like Tarte or Origins it's Marc Jacobs the world class DESIGNER. 

aydasu

I don't have any of his makeup products yet but I have every LE perfumes and EDT he put out and let me tell you they are my fav! Marc whatever you put in those potions keep putting it bro! I have his watch as well. And man, is it sexy :smileyhappy: I guess I am having a fangirl moment at the moment :smileyhappy: 

starsandbucks

I can sorta see how as a designer his first instinct is too talk about the aesthetics of the product. He's a visual and tactile person and having a makeup line is a pretty new world for him. He probably just slipped into the mode he's known for all these years of being a designer. And we have no idea of what was cut of out the many, many more minutes of footage I'm sure they had. And I have to admit the first thing I oohed and aahed over was the shiny packaging. But I'm a total stan for Marc Jacobs! I've loved him for years. 

(Haha I just re-read what I wrote and LOL @ me defending Marc Jacobs honor.  Just to be clear I totally don't take any of this seriously and am not some obsessed super fan a la "Leave Britney Alone!") :smileyvery-happy:

EvangelineDamon

(0) Hearts

I did laugh out loud while reading your post, but I also understand what you're getting at.

He is a talented designer first and of course, the packaging is lovely and well constructed.

So I guess I don't mind him talking about the design for 30 seconds, it just would have been nice if he did a simple swatch on his hand...or something.

It does look edited down, so who knows.

I know posting outside links are forbidden, but on the Daily Mail from last year, MJ actually does go through some of his favorite products of the new collection (3 items-a concealer, brow tamer and lip) and its a little more "in-depth."

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 54 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • eadelaide1
    • emmaclaire
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • nightknight
    • aydasu
    • infinitise