ChicDabbler

Do you toss products or try to make it work? which ones?

[ Edited ]

You know those products that you brought years ago but only used once or twice? What do you do with them? I can repurpose skincare and give away unopened items, but I have this brown Benefit lipstick from the first time I got a makeover that I got talked into buying (I'm convinced this is what made me the beauty skeptic I am today). It's seriously brown, like, taupe. Does anyone wear brown lipstick? o.O I feel like maybe I can mix with other lipsticks and make it work, but does anyone have experience mixing lipsticks? or should I just toss it?

I have never tossed a make up item, but I've no idea how to make this brown lipstick work (and I have another EL brownish berry one). It's such a shame to toss but it's just a waste of space. Have you ever tossed make up items? what do you usually toss? Any super horrible ones?

lowrah

Re: Do you toss products or try to make it work? which ones?

I usually give all of my unwanted beauty products/makeup to my sister-in-law.. then my sister, and if neither of them want it, it goes to my sister's 8 year old, makeupobsessed daughter. 

desertbr4t

I'm a hoarder and collector.  I need to find some girls who will let me do their makeup so I can use it up ! 8D

drrragon

[ Edited ]

oh my gosh that brown lipstick takes me on a flashback to the 1990s!  

remember when girls used to line their lips with that type of brown, smudge it inwards, then powder the center/innner part of the lips for a weird gradient effect? it was almost goth-looking except they would use raisin or brown shades and honestly i found it really intimidating especially as it was usually accompanied with a harsh eye look.

swfupload_509854158884672199.jpg

photo credit:

mityren

Those are my lips from  high school sophmore year! Such  a bad look. and i definitely had the super dark "racoon" eyes to go with them. It would take 45 minutes in the mornings  plaster it all on. 

rockhound0508

I too have a terrible time tossing make up.

If it doesnt work for me I try to see if either daughter wants it or can use it (make up or Skin care).

Creams if they do nothing for my face they become the hand creams, elbow's and the like.

I started putting labels on new product with the estimated expire dates.  Its like an okay to toss at a certain time or a reason to buy some more or something new to try :smileyhappy:

Panda168

Maybe you could do an Ombre Lip style with it and another shade... lavender and violets are hot colors for spring... but I don't know what your lipstick looks lip... When I think taupe I think purple for some reason lol. 

Personally, I try to give these items away unless they are old products. Sadly, I am a lip junkie so I ended up giving about 8-10 lipsticks and glosses away to relatives. I think I gave 3 or 4 to my grandmother and 4 or 5 to my aunt. Half of them were from Chanel and I could NOT bring myself to throw them away. 

bananachoox3

I try my best at not tossing makeup away. If some makeup I know have been sitting ther for a while, I would toss it just because it could be expired and I wouldnt want that on my face. Yes to Cucumbers Makeup, was something that did not work with my skin, so instead  of using them on my face, I used them to clean makeup off my hands and the card I use to place my liquid foundation on. 

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, I did mix it with a couple others and got a satisfactory color, but it does have a white sheen patch at the base, prob due to it drying out (like the Tarte I have), but I had it for 5+ yrs, so I'm tossing it.

Bye bye, Benefit Toast and Estee Lauder Rich Currant (shown below, yes they are lipstick not eyeshadows, and recommended to me when I was a teen. I'm a smarter shopper since then). I will miss you never.

2013-03-08 23.34.14.jpg

Panda168

5 + yrs?!?!??! I agree that needs to be tossed. LOL. I agree  that it is slightly heart-wrenching to throw away make up, especially if it hasn't even reached the half way mark. I have been dreading cleaning out my make up, but know it needs to be done soon because I just purchased new items not too long ago and I need to make room. 

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Well, how often do you get a chance to wear brown lipstick? lol. I'm still using my Clinique Stay Matte of 7 yrs and it works fine (almost done!). Altho I only apply make up with clean hands/brushes on freshly cleansed/moisturized face. The only touch up I do during the day is for lips, and I wipe my mouth with water/paper towel before reapplying. I never open/touch makeup otherwise or share makeup and keep things I don't use often in closed container/drawers away from light. I also wash the pad/sponge tips, use a cotton swab to clean up the edges around my palette, and sanitize things that are 2+ yrs old every year. I've only thrown away a lipgloss that separated before, other than that everything looks/feels normal. *knocks on wood*

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

--

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

LOL. Yeah, that was my first time talking to a MUA and last time I trusted a MUA blindly (it's tough on the good MUA I've encountered since then cuz I grill them about everything and never buy on the spot).

I can't imagine why someone would recommend that to a 16yr old, costed me $18 of pocket money. I worn it once to an award ceremony, took one look at the photo later and let's just say "we are never ever ever~~~getting back togetherrrr"

caligirl2011

Omg!  I remember that color was in when I was in high school, but sadly, that was like mmm..almost 20 years ago  o_O

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Lol, yeaaahhh. Gosh it looks terrible now. I feel like 10-20yrs later, we will look upon today's "nude"/concealer lips with the same horrified eyes.

Panda168

That's how I look at them now lol.... perhaps it's because I can't wear them so I am instantly turned off by them :smileysad:. I have to say I do think some can pull off nude lips well. 

caligirl2011

Very true.  I picture us all looking like the people in Hunger Games!

miabt

To be honest, I'm a makeup hoarder too!  BUT, I've been really good about tossing items that I know I will never use. As I get older, time is never on my side and I just dont have the time or energy to waste mixing colors or shades with those "ehh" items.  If you havent used in within the last 6 months, chances are you just wont.  It also takes up precious space in your makeup bag/vanity!

It's also a hygenic thing.  We all know our products should be tossed after a certain amount of time, even though its so hard to part with certain items :smileyhappy:  My advice, toss it & never look back!

xo, Mia

sephoramusthave

beautytester----I tried layering different glosses over that lipstick, but I still couldnt get a nice enough color...if its more than a year old, toss it. I never give away things are are expired. When I reorganized everything, I gave some stuff away so now I only have things that I absolutely love and new things.

caligirl2011

I'm infamous for tossing things away...anything  It gives me a sense of "ah" and an excuse to buy new things.  

I have super sensitive skin so I don't mess around with keeping things too long.  Any product with active ingredients or preservatives you don't want to keep too long because it goes bad and changes the color of the product and probably has no benefits anymore.  Of course if anything has changed color or smells, toss it.  But for makeup that has color, it's hard to tell.  Usually makeup if opened, I keep around for about a year.  If it's something that's "wet" like creme, I try to get rid of it faster because I believe it can harbor more bacteria when I open and close the product or touch it with my hands.  Powders I keep longer.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Honestly.....I dont toss nothin'! Money is money. I put everything that I dont use/dont like in a zipper baggy and give it to my mom. I dont feel comfortable giving used beauty items to anyone but my own DNA so my mom gets pretty much everything. Unused deluxe sample, sample packets and things in pump bottles go to friends if they are interested, if not..again....to my mommy.

Ewww....no. Brown lipstick might as well be black lipstick to me, they both look awful on me. I had this deluxe sample of a buxom lipstick (brooklyn) and its this horrible brown color with a sort of dark purple undertone....not sure how to describe it but it looks just terrible against my skintone.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 51 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • lowrah
    • caligirl2011
    • drrragon
    • triciaann12
    • ChicDabbler