fhgarman

Do you know of a good app to keep track of your beauty products?

[ Edited ]

I've been looking for a good app, but the few that pop up in the search seem kind of blah - or they're really meant to shop for products or read reviews. I'm hoping for an app that lets you keep track of all your beauty products. Categorize them, rank them, record the last purchase date, store, link, price, date that you actually opened the item; let you set reminders to repurchase - and more importantly let you scan the barcode of your products and automatically pull the info directly into the app. I keep thinking about my mom, who keeps forgetting the names of her favorite lipsticks, etc. What do you think, if this app actually existed, do you think you would use it?

Rebecca101010

Re: Do you know of a good app to keep track of your beauty products?

(0) Hearts

The only issue with the spreadsheets I find is that they don't link to pictures that well and I have so many dupes especially in my eyeshadow palletes.

RandeeBT

Hi Ladies!

Just a quick note that we do not allow outside URLs on Beauty Talk. If you would like to send each other private messages with the URL, feel free to do so!

Best,
Randee
Rebecca101010

[ Edited ]

I think you guys might enjoy My Makeup Collection. It's on Apple and Google Play and does it exactly what you are asking - keeps your makeup inventory and swatches in one place!

HookedOnBeauty2

(0) Hearts

Has anyone tried this app? I downloaded it and it seems to do what most are looking for. You can add categories and brands that aren't listed.

Are there any limitations like how many you can add in each category or brand? Has anyone experienced any downsides to it?

evno

(0) Hearts

I've been organizing everything into spreadsheets since New Year's, and I'll definitely have to try these suggestions out! 

1Smartgrl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Recently searching for something to "inventory" my makeup. I found an app that sounds amazing!! Still in its developing stages, and she was (still is) looking for backers on Kickstart! But, it would be my dream app for what I want to do! Scanning barcodes, saving photos of what you have... dreamy, like I said.

jellybean917

Not sure where this app is now, but the Kickstarter project says it's over, as it didn't reach its funding goal?

jenjendoitagain

(0) Hearts

I just checked out the site and it does say that. :smileysad: It looked like it would have been a neat little app though.

fhgarman

(0) Hearts

Sooooo . . . does anyone know an app developer who would make an app like this? Looks like there might be some ladies on BT who would download it immediately. Especially me! LOL!

DTalksAll

I have 0 knowledge of coding otherwise I'd be all over it! 

I do have experience in social media marketing though, and can help launch & promote the app after it's developed. 

We need an app developer! 

kalex

After dannyc suggested it, I talked to my husband about making an app for us to keep track of our cosmetics.  His first suggestion (and I knew it would be) was for us to "have less crap" because then it wouldn't be difficult for us to remember what we already have.  After I dismissed that as being impossible, he questioned me on whether we really want to take the time to add each individual product like an app would require.

Basically, he thinks we're making this too difficult on ourselves and we should create files in something like Dropbox.  It would be accessible from both our phones and computer and we could create separate files for lips, eyeshadows, nails etc.   Then break it down with further categorized pictures if needed (red polish, blue polish, berry lipstick, peach lipstick etc). Some products like nailpolish and lipgloss it would easy to angle the product/camera when taking a pic to see both the color and the label with the name on it.  I don't have a suggestion for seeing the labels and shade names of blushes or shadows but at least you'd have a picture for color reference.

If anyone has a good argument for why we still need an app I'd be happy to take it up with him again!  I at least just wanted to share his suggestions.  :smileyhappy: 

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]

Of course he said that! 

I love my spreadsheets, but I think an app might be a great addition. Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with these for now:

Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 10.54.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 10.57.05 AM.png

JayReed

(0) Hearts

OhEmGee, *Walks to Vanity to start taking inventory* 

This is brilliant, I went to MAC yesterday and I couldn't remember if I had a certain lipstick and blush and when I got home I had the blush, just not the lipstick ugh I was so mad... I do this a lot. I forget the name or that I even had it.

Carmen241986

(0) Hearts

I loved your spreadsheet idea, so I did one similar to yours in Excel :-D.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

@Carmen, can you access your excel spreadsheet while shopping in stores? 

I don't have excel on my computer, but when I did I went with Google Docs because it's free & I can access it anywhere, any time. :smileytongue: 

melde

dannyc this is amazing

BeautyJunkie325

I would just love to be able to scan the barcode and have some of the data fill in automatically.  

DTalksAll

Yes! That would be great. I could fill in the other details myself (like where I purchased it, for how much, and date opened/tossed. 

BeautyJunkie325

Exactly, if it could auto fill brand, product, color, size, even price ( which we could modify). Most of the products are set in price so its not like the price differs too much unless you get it at an outlet or during VIB sales. 

DTalksAll

I like to keep track of price, for repurchases. A lot of times items go up in price (UD naked palettes...) so I like to keep track of that. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • jxw200
    • mrscoco
    • ChicDabbler
    • BeautyJunkie325