emmy89

Do you guys ever risk buying a product for the first time online?

Do you guys ever risk buying a product (that needs to match your skin colour) for the first time online?

I really need to buy a concealer because I truly hate my dark circles and under eye veins. I want to try the NARS radiant creamy, but I do not drive, and I don't live or work in the Montreal area to be able to just take the metro and stop by a Sephora store and choose a colour.  The closest store is in Laval, but it's still a 15min drive, and I can't get there on my own. (My boyfriend has been working opposite shifts as me, so he is not able to drive me for a couple of months).

So I was wondering If I should risk buying it online? Do you guys ever buy a concealer or foundation online without testing first?

infinitise

Re: Do you guys ever risk buying a product for the first time online?

I almost always do... 

choosing a foundation is a huge stressor for me.. its either flaky, dry looking, oily, sticky, pore showing, acne causing, or too pink or beige (not yellow enough)... so I go through numerous samples and sometimes still don't love any of them. 

it sounds like a crazy idea, but I just commit to purchasing a full sized bottle of something I never even tested on the back of my hands in store.. after weeks of frustration.. 

frankly, it works really well for me .. I've bough GA lasting silk, and Guerlain lingerie de peau that way, but they ended up being my HG 

but then there is that anxiety until the item arrives at the door step 

emmy89

(0) Hearts

I took a look at swatches and videos and they made me so confused. And now I'm afraid none of the NARS colours will suit me. Today I went to a drugstore and swatched other concealer people has recommended on one of my thread, like the Benefit ones, and all of them were way too pink for my skin. I didn't find anything in any of the brands that would suit me. The only products that still give me hope of helping my under eye issues, can't be found in stores that I can walk to, so I would have to risk buying online, or wait a few months to buy it in person.

Shopping for a concealer is becoming as frustrating as shopping for clothes. and I haaaaate shopping for clothes. They either don't have stuff in my size and when they do, its something extremely boring looking for triple the price of what it's worth, or they are teenager looking clothes, too formal, or too old looking... Argh
:smileysad:

irenet

I just can't I have a skin tone that's really hard to match being mixed. Much of my products cabinet is from failed foundations so I have to get it in store so I could test it on my own skin. Also, I just can't wait for shipping on a product I really want. I'm lucky though, I have 4 Sephora stores in my immediate area.

DiVWA

I do what others do who have already replied--I try to find swatches and videos online to give me an idea. But many times, I'm still unsure. If it weren't for the return policies of Sephora and Nordstrom's, I'd not take a risk of buying online as much as I do.

Sometimes I get more than one color of the same product, if it's something I'm pretty sure I want but I don't know which color will be right. When I receive the different colors, I'm able to choose right away and I then return the other/wrong one. I feel a little guilty doing this but this is the only way I can find my right color. I justify it in my head that this product is usually something I repeat purchase. Plus I think that as time goes on, there are more swatches/videos made of some of these products, so less chance that others may have to purchase more than one like I had to do.

LariTheLoud

I've done it before with good results - most notably the Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation. I look up swatches on many, many different skin tones before I go for it. It's worked out well for me so far! Just do your research and pick your best guess shade.

There are also really great resources out there to find foundation matches using the foundation you already use that you know is a good match. Temptalia has one, Sephora has Color IQ, etc. Good luck!

kbmatthews

Yep, I do. I tend to do as much online "research" as possible first, though. Look at swatches on different skin tones, the undertones, reviews, etc.

Now, for my first foundation, I definitely went in-store for. When you're starting out and you're not sure where you sit in the range of colours, it's best to be matched to something and then be able to have that for reference.

BrennaBombshell

Yuuuuuup, and I haven't had an issue yet! My local Sephora, while I love it and the SAs that work there, is in the middle of a horribly planned shopping center, and my boyfriend and I have a large truck that he uses for his work, so it's difficult to maneuver through that muck. (It's seriously jam packed even on a Tuesday morning. There's no escape!) So I usually don't end up going to the store there and just ordering online, unless it's a special occasion or I'm going to a class. I just read a lot of reviews and look at swatches before making the purchase, which I would even if I were going into the store to buy. I'm kind of obsessed with swatches and reviews ^_^ But it's kept me from returning and has always worked for me!

killahbabe

(0) Hearts

I always buy foundations and powders online without trying them or color matching first. I think I might be slightly gifted at always knowing what shade I am because I haven't been wrong yet. *Knocks on wood* :smileyvery-happy: Sephora is usually really good with having an accurate portrayal of colors so it's pretty easy to tell what color(s) will be good for you as long as you have a general idea of where your shade falls on the light-to-dark spectrum and also know your undertone. The ONLY thing I can really see as an obstacle is with foundations that have issues with oxidation over time, but even if you just quickly matched yourself in store, you'd still run the risk of having the foundation oxidize after wearing it.

heartsmyface

No. I like to be absolutely sure that color will be an exact match before purchasing foundation or concealer. I don't like returning things. Any other makeup I generally can buy untested. 

weeeeweeeeeee

Concealer should not be that big of a guess, they usually come in a few colors, there is not a whole lot of selection, it should be relatively easier than foundation. Buying foundation online without swatching it is a whole different story, just today, I got a new bottle of foundation that looked close to what I am, it really is not. It is far from what my color it. Not only so, the undertone is the exact opposite of what I am as well. 

LauraBellSue

I'll purchase lipsticks and glosses without swatching them in person unless they're really expensive.  That being said I do a lot of research and looking up swatches online.  As far as purchasing foundations and concealers goes, I always test them in person.  Even just being a touch too light or too dark or too yellow or too pink can make such a difference.  I know Sephora and other cosmetic companies have decent return policies, but I'd rather just get it right the first time rather than go through the hassle of returning a shade and then having the possibility of STILL getting the wrong shade!

shoppiturt

I suppose I take pretty big risks. I don't drive atm, either (working on fixing that x-x), so I just try to watch as many youtube videos and find as many swatches of things as I can before I commit to buying something. I bought my first foundation and concealer without testing. And even then, if it doesn't work out, I can just return it...I just have to not wait two months to decide whether something works or not. I'm currently stuck with some things because I just couldn't get back to the store/post office to return stuff. 

It's really hard with perfume. Even if something sounds like it smells good, I really prefer to get samples to try out. I wish we could just buy them or something. I'm sad I missed out on the Tom Ford and V&R samples Sephora had recently. ;(

emmy89

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I really wanted to buy a perfume for special occasions during the 3x points, but that's the kind of thing 
I need to try in person! Firstly because I have bad allergies, so I need to find something that won't trigger my rhinitis and secondly, something that pleases me... I never order perfume samples, but I guess I should start!

andyhtrieu

I just did that last week. My sister ordered a foundation for me online and I'm hoping it matches me. I think it might be too light though. 

emmy89

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I used to have the tendency of buying darker shades when buying online, but it would still look natural on me. Nowadays though, specially after I moved to Canada I've been having such bad luck finding a concealer that will suit my skin, it's always too light or too yellow, I guess. I hope your foundation matches you! Thanks for the help!

andyhtrieu

You can always google swatches! If you search "(insert product here) swatches" there will always be someone who has all the shades swatched. It narrows down my selections to two or three shades. I hope this picture helps!

upload_6033342746007863270.jpg

JayReed

I usually will do a lot if research on that certain product to make sure it will be a good fit for people that have the same skin type as me. As far as color goes I know to always look for a yellow undertone and anything that says light medium. It hasn't failed yet! I tend to work a lot and sometimes I don't feel like battling mall traffic. So that's my best advice it figure out if you are pink or yellow under toned then if you are very light, light, medium light, medium, medium dark, dark etc.

emmy89

About cool or warm I could never figure it out I look at myself and I think I'm yellow/green! LOL But I tend to choose warm colours because at least it makes me look alive, and since I'm brazilian I guess it look natural even if its a shade darker. From my experience with foundation, I am usually in the medium range, but usually lightest shades. So I thought I should get the NARS concealer in "ginger", but I will do some research before committing to it!

JayReed

YouTube reviews will help you so much if you have any doubt! Just type in the color you are interested in!

emmy89

(0) Hearts

Thanks! Will do it right now.  I usually hate watching videos online, but this time it my save me the money and trouble! ^^

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • killahbabe
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • infinitise
    • fatimamummy
    • mpolansky
    • heatherbee