veronika23

Do you follow the trends or do your own thing?

So are you someone who follows the current trends in make-up or do your own thing?  If you do your own thing do you play it safe or go wild?

I've never really followed the trends although I like to know what's coming out every season. It doesn't mean because certain colors are in that I'll do my make-up according to fashion magazines and trends.  I've pretty much always marched to the beat of my own drum.  No I never play it safe. lol.  Yeah sure sometimes I want something less flashy and yeah sometimes I'm lazy lol but I've always liked color.  I'm the type of person that does crazy smoky eyes with yellows, greens, blue, purples, pink. I even had red a few times as well.  I've also pretty much always painted my toe nails black and everyone at my esthetician's was like really?  Eventually she told me more and more of her clients wanted black nails. I say why not?  It goes with everything right :smileywink:  So recently I've been more into lipsticks and actually wanted a blueberry type color.  So I didn't get the color I wanted just yet but by mixing Ardency inn black is blue with lipstick queen hello sailor I got this very nice blueish shade.  Now most people wouldn't wear blue lipstick but I say why not?  I think it would be so cool if the lip trends would change a bit to include colors we don't normally see. :smileywink:  If it doesn't well I don't care because I'll wear what I like. lol

So I'm the wild child that listens to no one.  Who are you?

ladymeag

Re: Do you follow the trends or do your own thing?

I tend not to follow trends - but I do enjoy the cyclical nature of trends, otherwise I'd never come up on my time to stock up on vampy lipstick colors and nailpolish or get compliments on my particular shade of red or purple. Peach, coral, pink, teal, and "beachy" colors have never done it for me so when they come around, I tend to stick out a bit more. I know if I hang on for a few years, they'll be back to products and colors that interest me. I like seeing the fresh take on my favorite part of the cycle, too, as keeping the same look for a few decades can be boring, aging, and stale. 

solveig

There are so many trends out there, each makeup brand comes out with their own set of shades and various looks every **bleep** season (at the minimum). There is no way for me to try it all on myself and stay sane. I like going through the magazines and pictures on different websites for inspiration. But at the same time, I know what suits me, my skintone, eyecolor and hair color, and I will never wear a look (however trendy it might be) if it doesn't suit me. I am also a firm believer that your makeup should match your style in clothes, because I find it ridiculous when I see ladies with pink-blue-purple smoky eyes and sweatpants.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

lol.  Guess that's why I'm always in jeans and black top :smileyvery-happy:

IttyxBittyxMe

I don't care to much for trends, I don't pay any attention to them or I don't like them. For example, the bronzer trend this summer. I just kinda looked at it like, "Ummm....no." I'm already brown, I don't exactly need a 'sun kissed glow'. I didn't care to learn how to do it or put my time into it. Same with the contouring and highlighting, that seemed really big this summer, and again, I just kinda passed it by. Do I contour? Yep.  But just my cheeks with a powder, no foundation, no all over my face, nope. More power to girls that do but it's not for me.

During the summer I wore dark lipsticks, even though it wasn't exactly 'in trend'. I love purple lipstick, dark purples, plums, bright purples, love 'em! I want a nice dark forest green lipstick, but the one I want from lime crime isn't on the site anymore. ;_; I think the color is Serpentina, they have another color called Poisonberry that I want that's another shade of purple/red. I would like to try a mint, but I don't think mint would look to good on my skin. 

EllieyJelly

I'm the type of person who doesn't follow trends. I may incorporate them into my everyday if I like it but I know what fits me/flattering and I like what I like. I'm very particular and don't feel the need to wear something that may be unflattering just because it's trendy. I know what works for me and I like to experiment but I don't feel the need to do it to fit any trends. 

MikuNerd65

I kinda just see what's going on, and if I like it. I'll do it...I might not succeed on it...Like still can't do the cat-eye -_-' messy bun, messy ponytail (unless I woke up from bed and forgot I had a ponytail in my head), I would like to do the red lipstick, but I don't even know if it's my color. :/ There is soooo much more I want to do that is not from the US, Like Kawaii, Lolita, Fairy Kei, but I don't have any of those items to express my self, nor do they have any of them around here. ...One thing that they are is AH-DORABLE!

JustACostume

(0) Hearts

Try taobao and places like bodyline and yesstyle for kawaii, lolita and Fairy Kei.

MikuNerd65

(0) Hearts

Thank you, it's kinda hard when you go to the public store and they don't have your "style."  Your lucky enough to find it in Goodwill or Buffalo Exchange.

JustACostume

(0) Hearts

I find it easier to shop either online or at big conventions like NYCC. 

veronika23

(0) Hearts

I had to look that up.  OMG yes super cute!!! :smileyhappy:

MikuNerd65

I know! I keep up with almost all the trends on Tokyo Fashion on twitter and if I had a better phone I would use their free app.

gingerblack

I don't really know any makeup trends except the darker lipstick that seemed to be popular awhile ago. I tried that out because I saw it all over youtube. I also bought the naked 2 pallet because it's popular, but I don't know if thats a trend. Maybe I subconsciously follow them lol. 

I usually wear neutral makeup for University, but I am getting into more colourful eye looks. I just need to research how to do them nicely.

gemxx

(0) Hearts

It was by Urban Decay ( the Asphyixia) ---Versace used to have the coolest lip color ever--when you put it on-it was purple--I mean lavender purple---almost impossible to remove-it changed colors everyday--darker,darker,blue-pink--until it decided it was done w/ you--haha  You could get it off----was a wild one though---still looking............nite:smileywink:--and yes-those are some big ole lips--LOL

gemxx

It was by Urban Decay ( the Asphyixia) ---Versace used to have the coolest lip color ever--when you put it on-it was purple--I mean lavender purple---almost impossible to remove-it changed colors everyday--darker,darker,blue-pink--until it decided it was done w/ you--haha  You could get it off----was a wild one though---still looking............nite:smileywink:

gemxx

Did you ever like the pinkish /blue color--like the old Asphyxia, they used to have?---I drove all the way to Indianapolis-and bought all 11 testers when they changed the color---It's not a dark black blue----but more of a pink, fushia,blue-toned color-( a bit opalescent) ----wondering if you might have any suggestions....I can't go too dark--Your name immediately caught my eye--haha    Thankyou! Gemx...............wish I could mix my own makeup colors--the dream job.......50bb4d4d-9745-4708-af65-8b451c612de7_zps2fc0f787.jpg

veronika23

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Oh my.... I only know Asphyxia as an eye color...  To me MAC has a great range of different colors in lipsticks.  After that if you wanted that opalescent look you'd need to find a gloss to put on top.  The Sephora + Pantone had one.. I think it might be all sold out... Unless there's still some in stores.  OCC lip tars are also great for mixing.

Meg82

I have no idea if I'm following the trends because I have no idea what the trends are.  I know that I get a lot of my makeup recommendations from Sephora employees (who are probs following trends) and BT (which, according to this thread, marches to the beat of their own drummer) so I'm probably 50% following trends? My mother came home a few weeks ago and told me that my lipstick was appropriately within the bounds of the women she worked with (my mom thinks my lipstick is too much and too dark so her admitting that was huge deal) so does that mean I'm following a lipstick trend?

I don't particularly care about the trends, which is, in part, what I think this question is getting at.  But I think, because I rely so heavily on other people to help me figure out products, following at least some of the trends is inevitable. 

ashhay

I don't really follow trends, I try to stay current but it has to appeal to my personal aesthetic. I think I do follow my own drummer with my obsession with anything gold, bronze, champagne, or rosé gold. I also love earth tones but that isn't as risqué as the metallics. As for your love of unusual lipstick colors you should check out Kaior cosmetics, lime crime, and illamasqua. When I was in Highschool I did try a matte silver lipstick and I literally looked like the undead! So now that I know more about undertones and seasons I buy metallics that are more suitable for those with warmer undertones.

ashhay

(0) Hearts

Should be Kaoir not Kaior.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

Thanks!  I know illamasqua has a very unusual teal type of color but Sephora doesn't have that lipstick.  I'll check out the other brands.  :smileyhappy: I've heard of lime crime but not kaoir.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 66 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • kenny
    • dannyc
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat
    • ashhay
    • gemxx