veronika23

Do you follow the trends or do your own thing?

So are you someone who follows the current trends in make-up or do your own thing?  If you do your own thing do you play it safe or go wild?

I've never really followed the trends although I like to know what's coming out every season. It doesn't mean because certain colors are in that I'll do my make-up according to fashion magazines and trends.  I've pretty much always marched to the beat of my own drum.  No I never play it safe. lol.  Yeah sure sometimes I want something less flashy and yeah sometimes I'm lazy lol but I've always liked color.  I'm the type of person that does crazy smoky eyes with yellows, greens, blue, purples, pink. I even had red a few times as well.  I've also pretty much always painted my toe nails black and everyone at my esthetician's was like really?  Eventually she told me more and more of her clients wanted black nails. I say why not?  It goes with everything right :smileywink:  So recently I've been more into lipsticks and actually wanted a blueberry type color.  So I didn't get the color I wanted just yet but by mixing Ardency inn black is blue with lipstick queen hello sailor I got this very nice blueish shade.  Now most people wouldn't wear blue lipstick but I say why not?  I think it would be so cool if the lip trends would change a bit to include colors we don't normally see. :smileywink:  If it doesn't well I don't care because I'll wear what I like. lol

So I'm the wild child that listens to no one.  Who are you?

veronika23

Re: Do you follow the trends or do your own thing?

Exactly where I thought they would sell the line :smileywink:

BeautyJunkie325

I wear what makes me happy.  If it is one of that year's trends cool beans, if not no skin off my nose.  Heck I've been doing nail art for years & it is just in the last few that it became more "main stream".  I love rocking black polish, anything sparkly, reverse french (again I was doing that before everyone else).  For me my make-up and nails were my artistic rebellion against my straight laced accounting job (or at least that is what I kept telling myself). :smileywink:

veronika23

Nice!  It's also my artistic way :smileyhappy:

spoiledbrat

Syd i second what you said about Veronika :smileyhappy:  I for one am VERY glad she joined BT; she brings a lot to the table - and she is fabulous - love her!

to the question: i do my own thing, always have; except during that Catholic School Uniform phase :smileysad:

I do believe a sure fire way to ace an interview and is also a good look for  church is black lipstick and LOTS of black eye makeup preferably pole ready with a clubbing dress and stripper heals! :smileywink:

veronika23

LMAO!  Oh my goodness!  Black is cool alright! :smileywink: Yeah I also had a uniform!  Guess my crazy make-up came from being in a suit like everyone else. lol.  and well not wanting to follow the rules. I never was good with authority and pretty much question everything. lol

Thanks sweetie I love you too!

calamityjane85

Nope, I skip and hop around for whatever tickles my fancy. I also rock the crazy a$* shades on my lids. Xsparkage helped me break out of the very boring mold is was in my teens and early twenties. Now I don't care so much and actually get lots of compliments when I wear the fun colors. On the lips I tend to go neutral though. I think I don't like the way my lips move when I talk and dark lipstick accentuates that.  As for style well whatever mood I'm in ... Rock gypsy, country I don't care, life is to short to stick to one thing. I'm all over the place and am having fun while doing it. 

SydBristow

You start some of the most interesting threads, Veronkia!  Love it!

I like watching videos and learning different techniques, but in the end I do what I like and what works for my outfit/coloring/situation.  I do lean towards the more conservative side  but would LOVE to see some picks of your blueberry lips and smoky eyes, Veronika!  :smileyvery-happy:

On weekends I do experiment a bit more and have fun.  Doesn't always work out but it's fun anyway.  :smileyhappy:

veronika23

oh Thanks =)  Yeah I'll have to share at some point.  I'm one of those people who doesn't like posting pics on the internet... lol  the paranoid type.. bahahahahaha!

SirenPrincess

I like to follow trends and see what's in, but I still evaluate for myself if it's something I'd like.  For example, red lipsticks are in right now, and I hate red lipstick on me, so that's a definite no.  I'm not going to do it just because it's in.  But more natural or more defined eyebrows are also in, and that's one I probably wouldn't have decided on my own, but I was like 'hmm, that sounds interesting, I'll try it'.  And I love rose gold, so I'm happy and excited something I like is in.  I do prefer to stick with more classic and natural choices in general.  I just personally don't like wild stuff, not my style.

sunflower837

I "do my own thing".  I am not one to follow trends.  My mantra is classic beauty and classic items - the "French Wardrobe" mindset.  When it comes to makeup, I do classic eyes (simple nude matte eye with winged eyeliner OR classic brown or grey smokey eye), classic lips (matte/creme red OR creme nude).  I guess you can say I love the classic looks that play up my femininity.  I have a little fun with my nails, but really do not like shimmers/glitters.  

When I was younger (think 12-16), you betcha I followed trends (oh goodness, the shimmery eyeshadow!!!!).  But the older I got (25 now), the more I realized it wasn't me.  I do what I like and what makes ME comfortable.

By the way, I am completely in agreement with those who said that magazine trends are super vague.  Never thought of it that way, but they totally are!!

hydee77

[ Edited ]

I don't really follow the trends, I just do what makes me feel good and enhances my look. I won't try a trend that I know won't look right on me just because it's "in". I did play around with the emerald color this year and the tango color last year though, I had the lipstick.   I like nail art but I'm too impatient to do it myself but I like those textured polishes from Zoya, OPI and Julep.

I read The Glossy on the site, it gives a lot of ideas for inspiration. :-)

DTalksAll

A little bit of both. I try not to go too extreme in trends because a lot of my friends just aren't into makeup. 

I rocked a purple lip (YSL) a few winters back when it first started to be trendy & an orange lip a few springs ago... It was fun, but my friends didn't get it. 

Same with winged liner...

If it looks good on me, then I'll do it, otherwise, no. 

LCResz

I just go with whatever pretty colors catch my fancy :smileyvery-happy:

ChicDabbler

Both. Long time ago there used to be only one trend so its hard to find what you like if its not THE trend, so I pay attention and if what I like is in that yr, then that means I get a wider selection of stuff I love. Nowadays everything is a trend all the time so this don't apply anymore and I no longer pay attention to them. I wear what I love whenever I want.

Its the same with makeup altho I do whatever is appropriate for the situation So I tone it down a bit for important business meetings and play it up for parties/Halloween etc. There is a time and place for everything.

rainbowveins084

I dont pay attention to the trends really.  I go with what feels right!

drrragon

ooh how do you like that Ardency Inn black is blue by itself?  I was just looking at that last night and was really curious to check it out!  I like the idea of Hello Sailor but after swatching it at Ulta, it seems awfully sheer.

veronika23

Here's a swatch of it.  It's a bit dark but I'm not used to dark colors... slowly moving into that this fall.  I always used to do a nude lip but went for flashy colors this summer and now darker for fall.  It is very beautiful though. It's nice and soft.  I couldn't get hello sailor here (Canada) so I bought it via e-bay and like it so much that I bought a second one.  I never do that! I find it looks really good on my lips.  Kinda like a sheer berry-ish color. Givenchy's Liv's lips is supposed to be the same concept but I got it and had to return it.  Did nothing on me.  I find if I mix both together I get a very nice color. I don't put a full coverage of the black is blue, just a little bit. Eventually I'll try and wear it by itself :smileywink:

original-1.jpg

drrragon

veronika thanks for the swatch!  that is a really beautiful deep indigo!  after your review of the lipstick queen one, sounds like i should give it another look for sure.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

If you can try it on your lips. It looks different for everyone :smileywink:

starletta8

Just playing the enabler...

Armani makes a navy gloss that gives a blue/grey hue on the lips.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

Do you know the name?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 66 replies
  • 84 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat