veronika23

Do you follow the trends or do your own thing?

So are you someone who follows the current trends in make-up or do your own thing?  If you do your own thing do you play it safe or go wild?

I've never really followed the trends although I like to know what's coming out every season. It doesn't mean because certain colors are in that I'll do my make-up according to fashion magazines and trends.  I've pretty much always marched to the beat of my own drum.  No I never play it safe. lol.  Yeah sure sometimes I want something less flashy and yeah sometimes I'm lazy lol but I've always liked color.  I'm the type of person that does crazy smoky eyes with yellows, greens, blue, purples, pink. I even had red a few times as well.  I've also pretty much always painted my toe nails black and everyone at my esthetician's was like really?  Eventually she told me more and more of her clients wanted black nails. I say why not?  It goes with everything right :smileywink:  So recently I've been more into lipsticks and actually wanted a blueberry type color.  So I didn't get the color I wanted just yet but by mixing Ardency inn black is blue with lipstick queen hello sailor I got this very nice blueish shade.  Now most people wouldn't wear blue lipstick but I say why not?  I think it would be so cool if the lip trends would change a bit to include colors we don't normally see. :smileywink:  If it doesn't well I don't care because I'll wear what I like. lol

So I'm the wild child that listens to no one.  Who are you?

janinebt

Re: Do you follow the trends or do your own thing?

Occasionally. It really depends on the trend. I really like the dark lip trend that has been popular this season and last year as well. Trends that I'm not really into include: nontraditional lip colors (blue, yellow, etc) and super bold brows. For the most part I'm pretty 'vanilla' when it comes to makeup.

I nearly cringed when a model told me that she wanted to do super dark smokey eyes with a red lip. I generally like to have a nice balance, either crazy eyes or a bold lip. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
veronika23

I also like balance either the eyes will be the feature or the lips. :smileywink:

MermaidBarbie

Honestly, I do my own thing, but at the same time, if a trend is something I am into and can pull it off, I am all for it. Sometimes, I take any current trend I like and change it slightly, making it into my thing too. It's fun. 

garnett

[ Edited ]

OK let me start out by saying that I am 50+  I have always been aware of the fact that many women get stuck in the look that they had when they were teens and early 20's.  That's not a good thing.  You want to keep your look fresh but still be true to your own style.  I guess I wouldn't call myself trendy but I do keep myself current.  If I like a trend I adopt and adapt it to my own look.   I am involved in the youth group at my church.  I don't want to look like I am trying too hard to look  young.  You know what I mean.  I will never look 16 again and that's ok with me.  I think blue lipstick is cool but I don't think it fits my personal style. What's my style? I like to have a striking style to my hair.  It's dark, straight and chin length in an elevated Bob. I have a light, cool complexion and blue eyes.  I like to really play up my eyes or rock a bright or deep lip. I love statement handbags, pearls, statement pieces of jewelry, vibrant colors or black in my wardrobe.  I guess I would call myself a modern classic with an edge.    

Londonlover101

both!

BeautyJunkie325

@veronika23 I just saw these on Pinterest & thought of you. :smileyhappy:

blue lips.jpg

veronika23

Wow!  Beautiful! Thanks for sharing :smileyhappy:  Just not sure about that lip pencil but those colors are gorgeous!  I sometimes do a smoky eye with those type of  colors.

BeautyJunkie325

I wasn't too sure about the black too, but another blue would be fantastic. :smileyhappy:

veronika23

(0) Hearts

Yeah I'm not really into defining your lips with a pencil when the contrast is too big.

SilveryPink

Someone who likes the blue lip look!

Other then that, I'll do seasonal makeup. My eyeshadow is mostly subtle neutrals. I wish I had the confidence to pull off a crazy eye look.

I adore trying different lip colors. 

Call me crazy, but I once did blue lips with food coloring after not finding a blue color. I got funny looks, but it was a fun day.

veronika23

Hey people melt down crayola's to do lipsticks so if make-up companies can't make it why not right? :smileywink: I'm not sure if this is something they still carry but Inglot has/had 5 or 6 blue lipsticks. I don't have one close by but asked someone to look next time they were close to the store.  Also Etsy is a cool place to look when looking for the "unusual" colors. Like Portland Black Lipstick Company.  I haven't bought anything yet but I just might very soon :smileywink:

rikkie

I have a sample of each of their lipsticks on the way! I love all the options they have! I can't wait to try them all!

veronika23

(0) Hearts

Cool!  Will need to see some swatches :smileywink:

sugarluvv

Nope, I never follow the trend.  I would wear bright eyeshadow during the fall/winter and also bright oranges and pinks.  Sometimes in spring or summer I would wear more neutrals.  

starletta8

I do a bit of both, to be honest. I pick and choose what works best for me. For example, instead of a deep berry lip, I'm going for a more natural color that I've fallen head over heels for.

I particularly don't listen to the color of the year- unless it's a staple in my wardrobe/beauty collection, then I stock up.

One of the biggest ways that I ignore trends is with tanning. I love being pasty, and it's kept my skin lovely over the years.

veronika23

And that color would be???? :smileywink:

I like the color of the year just because I love pantone. lol And this year it's gonna be blue (dazzling blue)!  woo-hoo!  I'd really like to see a blue lipstick.

I also like tanning but outside. Like I don't do tanning beds anymore and when I did I didn't go overboard. I just like the sun a lot and feel better when I do get a little.  I never aim to be super dark and try and be careful.  I just like spending time in the sun. :smileywink:

starletta8

My new HG lipstick? (And I mean it, I have no desire to buy lipstick right now or play with anything else I own because it's just so perfect?) Le Metier de Beaute Hydra-Creme Lipstick in Rose Garnet

As a ginger, I loved seeing more green out there :smileytongue:

veronika23

Wow that's a mouthful. lol I think I've heard of that company like once.  Where did you get yours?

starletta8

LOL, it's carried in some Nordstroms, some Bloomingdales, Saks, and Neiman Marcus around here.

I picked mine up at NM- it's also the only website with the product available.

It's the formula- it's so moisturizing and fades gracefully.

veronika23

Oh cool!  Knowing what stores it's carried at I'm pretty sure I'd know which store around here (Can) would be likely to carry it :smileyhappy: thx

starletta8

I think I remember reading online it's in some Holt Renfrews up north!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 66 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat
    • ashhay
    • gemxx