Answer
vngars
Do M.A.C. products deserve the hype they get?

I am about to run out of almost all the makeup I have, and I want to take the opportunity to try some new makeup! I have always heard a lot about M.A.C. cosmetics, and of course seen them and their stores all over the place. I've always tended to stay away from M.A.C. though because they seem to be pretty expensive and I don't know enough about their products. 

I'm 21 years old, so I haven't spent that much time around make up yet, and I'm still just learning about the basics. I am big on cat eyes and have been getting more into eye shadows in the past couple of years. I am curious about ANY and ALL of M.A.C.'s make up though! Foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, brushes, mascara, eyeliner, blush, bronzer...does anyone swear by any of these products from M.A.C.??

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
kssweetheart
Answered
[ Edited ]

Hi vngars and Welcome - I especially love their glosses and other lip products, the colors are beautiful and I love that there are different formulas/finishes. We all know that glosses need to be reapplied, we must eat tons of it. But this is as good as any other I've tried. You can put a lipstick, lipbalm, or lipliner to under the gloss so your lips don't suddenly go pale and look unfinished after a little while - you'll still be able to see some color from whatever you used before. You can go with any color lipstick or lipbalm and here's another debate...Lipliners. You can wear either a color close to the color of your lipstick or you can use a nude-ish pink, color you lips should be, say after a workout or something when they're more flushed. You coud also describe it as the color of a baby's lips, so pretty. Go with the baby lip color lipliner if you're using only that over your entire lips, under your gloss.  I've not used the glosses in a while, pretty sure they have a vanilla-ish scent that I'm not crazy about, but double check that, things may have changed and I might not be correct, although I think I am in this case. Have tried some of their shadows ans do like them. Those are the only products I've used by MAC. I think it was lylysa who said they come out with great holiday kits that give you a chance to try a bunch of different items in 1 kit and she is so right. So that might be fun, and helpful.

I don't think they have this great reputation for no reason. The thing is that everyone is different and it's the same with all brands, some people love it and others don't. I did read something that somebody mentioned recently, don't remember who and I'm most definiitely not trying to slam anyone, so I hope this doesn't come out wrong, hurtful or nasty, it isn't meant that way at all. This is not a direct quote, but they said that they have heard that MAC (and maybe other brands, not sure) kind of 'dilute'  the products in the holiday kits (and maybe other kits, don't remember...I'm sick and on drugs so please forgive my brain blackouts)

I don't think that's true, it doesn't make sense to me. These kits arevery often purchased as gifts for yourself or someone else, if you can part with it. *I suffer from that*  They want to entice us and do there best to make us fall in love with their products. That's why there's a little bit of everything. Mac and other brands are hoping you'll be dazzled by the pretty packaging and variety of products and that you;ll fall in love with atleast a few things so that we'll be impressed and in love and come back for more. I think they also hope that even though you didn't like a certain product in the kit you might just come back and try it again anyhow, down the road. Love can make us do just about anything, and I don't think love of cosmetics/skincare is any different. So I don't think they would want to put out products that are any less than perfect, especially at a time like this. That's just my thinking, but who knows.

But to tell you the truth, at the ripe old age of 21, you might not want to go with the most expensive products, there are many others that are absolutely wonderful by a staggering array of brands. So if you buy a kit, that's a nice intro, then pick something you really love and get that. Then look around and you can come back and ask for specifics. The most expensive isn't always the best. but it is fun to have some elite brands in your bag of tricks. Then play around, you can always return if you purchase through Sephora. If you purchase elsewhere, please, please, please read the return policy numerous times, some are ridiculous. You must return the products unopened, unused within  14 days from the day They mailed it and pay a restocking fee of 20%, some are beyond ridiculous. I'm not exaggerating either, sure others will verify this. BTW, there's nothing wrong with wearing 'drugstore' brand cosmetics and skincare. I still use some that I fell in love with years ago and just won't give up on, heartbreaking when they retire some things. I still go back and check out new formulas, colors etc. The more money I save there, the more I have to spend somewhere else.

I think you should focus on skincare and products with SPF, I have a friend who is about 35 and she has had multiple sections of her face and body, even her ears, where she has skin cancer and they've had to remove things which left scars and they don't always go away. this has been going on for about 5 years. She didn't wear sunscreen often and tanned beautifully. Those are often the consequesces. This will be ongoing for her. :smileysad:  So get some good skincare, doesn't have to be$$$$, ask if you need more guidance. Wear SPF daily, summer and winter. Peter Thomas Roth makes one that is in a powder form so it shouldn't have any affect of your makeup and it can be reapplied and with moisturizers and foundations. Sephora carries it. It's in a cylindrical cartridge with a brush attached, From what I heard it virtually never expires, it's a mineral, they say you can even stash one in your glove compartment and even that extreme heat wont affect it. I had something similar by a different color and it had pigment, which was too dark for me,  So I used it on my arms and places not near my face where it wasn't as noticeable. Hope this helps. Come back if you want more specifics. Oh, and get eye cream, Super Important and a neck cream would be good as well, againl, dont spend mad $$$ though. Start early, you'll be glad you did. :smileyhappy:

ps didn't proof, hope not to many errors, gotta go, let me know if something is unclear. :smileyhappy:

Question Stats
  • 8 answers
  • 25 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • kssweetheart
    • mskb
    • sportygirly
    • beautylovingirl
    • vngars
    • jezhawk
    • ShariRebecca