warriorwitch

Depotting Makeup

Who here depots their makeup? I just depotted my small stash of vintage UD eye shadows I got when they went on sale last year to save some room. It was only 13 shadows, but holy crap that is a long aggravating process. I have some already depotted drugstore makeup that needs a better palette and half a dozen or so more drugstore shadows to depot when I get one.

I don't think I will be depotting any more of my more expensive eye shadows, as A.) I don't have many singles, B.) the ones I have are in pretty space friendly containers, and C.) depotting makeup is stressful. XD

Anyone have some tales of their marvelous (or horrific) depotting adventures?

mrscoco

Re: Depotting Makeup

I depot just about everything. I press loose pigments, move lip colors. It is just so much more convenient for me and our very limited space in the bathroom. Plus, I can mix and match my pallet items so that I can easily choose what I want to take on vacation and I can take MORE that way and don't feel bad about taking that lip color I may only wear once.

The easiest one I've ever done was Naked 1. It was pretty old and the glue was happy to come off. I use a towel on my flat iron to melt down lip colors.

JenBlush

I deputed my mac eyeshadows! (I only have two!) lol but its a start! i need to declutter! and that is a great way to conserve space!

DTalksAll

I only buy MAC eyeshdows in the pans, and they live in mac pro pans. I just ordered a few z-palettes, but I doubt I'll move any mac shades in there. 

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

Its crazy how bulky some of the packaging is!

IttyxBittyxMe

I depotted my MAC shadows and it was a fairly easy process.

I'm waiting on getting a palette big enough to depot my Sugarpill shadows so I can make my own Sugarpill Pro Palette. I found one, gotta wait until next payday to get it. 

evno

I have a couple pretty and space-friendly limited edition Estee Lauder palettes, and as the little pans of product run out, I depot some of my deluxe sample eyeshadows into them. When I run out of those, I might buy Nyx or UD shadows and depot them into the palette. Recently, I also discovered I can convert my loose setting powder into pressed powder, so yay for time-consuming happiness!

txmommyofboys

I tried ONE time and failed...But I have an amazing husband that loves things like this & he depots anything my little heart desires <3

Spoiler

shortstuff07

When I did my vintage UD shadows, I put them into the new build your own palettes, as there was only half as much deputing needed, I just had to remove the outer case.  I like the byop style, and they were cheap enough that I didn't mind, plus the shades they came with were nice.  I actually turned one of the byop into a pinhole camera for school and that worked really nicely!

DTalksAll

Anyone depot UD naked palettes? How difficult was it? And where do you get your magnets from? 

I'm considering doing all of them once I get the 3rd. Maybe I'll use the basics palette more often. 

shortstuff07

I've actually seen a girl use old magnetic business cards that she cut up and superglued to the pans!  Or I'm sure any craft type store would have something.

warriorwitch

That is a nifty-thrifty idea!

shortstuff07

Broke college kids unite!  :smileyvery-happy:

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

I don't even own a Naked palette, but I would think that it would be easier to get a magnetic palette to put it in. You should be able to fit all 3 and a half (basics is too small to be a whole palette :smileytongue: ) into one empty magnetic palette.

DTalksAll

I heard the UD pans don't have a strong magnet connection, so I would get strips for it. I think the Z palette now comes with round magnets, that I could cut down. 

If I get the pro size, I think I would be able to fit all 4 Nakeds in there. 

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

I have never had any problems with the individual UD pans, but there is only one way to find out for sure. You could also get cut to size magnet sheets at your local craft store.

glossyguru

I usually only depot drugstore lip products, mainly because I hate drugstore packaging. But I do have some funny depotting stories!

This one is my first depotting experience ever. Now that I think of it, it's not really depotting, but I still think it counts. I had this loose eyeshadow that I had used for Halloween last year. I loved the shade, but it was so messy! So I decided that I wanted to press it.  I was following some tutorial on youtube, and they said to use some sort of rubbing alcohol. I put in WAY too much, and when I tried to press it, it exploded everywhere. I think I still have eyeshadow stains on my carpet! But that's ok, it was only like $8 from a no name brand off of Amazon.

This story was my first lipstick depot. My Estee Lauder Lipstick in Sugar Honey broke, so I needed to transfer it into a pot. I didn't know that you needed to use heat to depot lipsticks, so I just smashed it up and shoved it into its container. To try to make it look better (because it was naturally a mess) I added lipgloss to smooth it out! BIG MISTAKE. I was able to use it, but when I finally figured out my mistake and went to redo it with heat, the big lipstick chunks wouldn't go away because the lipgloss was holding it. It still works, but it ruined the texture and finish.

My most recent depotting was kind of a mess too. I found an UD Primer potion sample in the old packaging in my drawer, and decided to put it to use. I had to cut it open like people used to do, and it was pretty messy. I lost a ton of product on the knife, and all over the counters. Oh well, it was just a sample, and at least I could salvage about half of it.

Hope you enjoyed laughing at my failures! Looking back, they're hilarious

Kiki1517

[ Edited ]

I smashed mine down into wells, I have tried heat before and it totally ruined the consistency of the lipstick. I melted them on a spoon and transferred them, but afterwards they were all sheer, even the matte ones. :smileysad: I would rather them look a bit messy than have them be unusable.

1379887_577276882307463_175755774_n.jpg

Kiki1517

BTW MAC palettes are only $8 and $2 for the insert, half the price of zpalette for lip products anyway. I still use zpalettes for everything else.

shellyhb

(0) Hearts

do you by any chance know if MAC palettes be purchased at a MAC counter or if are they online only?

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

Haha, my first lip depottings were almost exactly like that, sans the lip gloss. I never thought to warm them up either, though I may now since I have 2-3 jars of chunky lip goo.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 78 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • connieconcon
    • DTalksAll
    • spoiledbrat
    • mrscoco
    • roxystar4
    • JenBlush