roxystar4

Decorating Makeup Storage

[ Edited ]

I decided to do a little decorating of my makeup storage (one of my 7 drawer containers- I have two more to do).  It was so fun to do and really easy.  I just purchased a 7 drawer plastic container, a package of stick-on pink dots/gems and gem buttons.  Used double-sided tape for the dark pink buttons.  So fun!

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

kellsmuneoka

Re: Decorating Makeup Storage

I'M NOT SPENDING 150+ ON AN ACRYLIC 6 DRAWER BOX. I honestly give up. I'm just going to buy the 3 muji 2 drawers large  and glue them together.

SallieSunshine

I know! Why are do these acrylic drawer sets cost an arm and a leg?

Don't they know I need my extra cash for another Dior Mono Fusion Eyeshadow? I mean, $30 for one eyeshadow - that's perfectly reasonable. $150 for some drawers? Unacceptable. :smileytongue:

kellsmuneoka

In the long run I guess it's a good investment, but right now it sounds ridiculous. It's like $34 for a lipstick...what's the problem with that?? :smileytongue:

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

kellsmuneoka, I dont blame you one bit. Here's what happened when my husband bought me one for $150+

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/I-m-SO-upset-right-now-b2bitems-on-ebay-DO-NOT-BUY-FROM-THE...

SallieSunshine

(0) Hearts

I am desperately looking for makeup storage and coming up empty! Roxystar, I like these drawers (and love the DIY!). Are they deep enough for you? I don't have a Wal-Mart, though.  :smileysad:  I haven't seen anything similar at my Target.

Everything I find on Amazon is *ridiculously* expensive (like in the $150-$300 range). And Muji does have some okay options - four of the two-drawer sets might be a good start - but that's already $100 and their shipping is really high to boot. :smileysad: Does anyone have suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $100 total.

I like the drawers emmaclaire posted, especially the transparency and the knobs. But they're smaller than what I'm looking for. I think stacking drawers of some kind are the way for me to go, but I am totally open to suggestions! :smileyhappy:

roxystar4

Sallie, they are def not deep enough for me. I just updated to an Alex Nine Drawer (do you live close to an Ikea?). I also picked up two Muji drawers

SallieSunshine

Thanks for the fast response! I do have an Ikea nearby. I think it may be time for me to face the music and admit that it's time for an Alex purchase. I just looked it up and they aren't as expensive as I feared. Was it hard to assemble? I wonder how my BF would feel about having that in the dining room.... :smileyhappy:  

roxystar4

Sallie, 

I really like the Alex nine because it fits a lot of my items.  It is a little tricky to put together (my husband and I worked together) and had it assembled in about 50 minutes.

:smileyhappy:

I think if your budget is $100 and you can get the Alex 9 for $119, then that is pretty good!

SallieSunshine

Agreed on the budget. The Alex 9 is so pretty and unobtrusive... definitely worth the $119 price tag. And the footprint is actually a lot smaller than I thought for some reason. I will borrow my friend's husband for assembly one weekend when my (bless his heart) less-than-handy BF is out of town. 

Thanks for the enabling wise counsel!

sparklekai

(0) Hearts

ii have 2 of the alex 9 drawers & they weren't too bad to put together...each took me about 1.5 hrs to do by myself

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

was drooling over this one.... or maybe it is just all the makeup that catches my eye$(KGrHqN,!iUF!rZOEgkGBQPWSy2Uzg~~60_57.JPG

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

I want to trade in my old sterilite 3 drawer container for the clear acrylic containers... does anyone know where I can purchase these?  (they are the ones Tracy from eleventh gorgeous has to store her makeup). Thanks!

emmaclaire

I really wanted the super nice, giant acrylic drawers that are all over the place (all the Kardashian sisters have them... not that I watch...) and could NOT justify the price. They were hundreds of dollars!  WHAAT.

BUT, I found a great solution that I highly recommend.  I went onto Amazon and found these beauties:

photo.jpgimage.jpg

They're a lot smaller than the ones you see in other places, but I liked that the drawers had pulls/knobs, and were deeper than some other options.  I also bought the "wavy acrylic" brush holder which is awesome for me.

Full disclosure: this was my solution for how to store my "frequently used" products - I have a massive sterilite system going on in my closet too!  Haha.  I really liked these because I think they look really pretty, they're more flexible (in terms of being able to use multiple sets together or spread apart), and they were only like $12 per piece on Amazon.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

thanks! I like the knobs too. I have seen some less expensive acrylic drawers but they dont have knobs, they have a but out section where you pull from, no thanks.

$12 on Amazon is def do-able :smileyhappy:

veevali

I checked out the video you were talking about, and she listed an amazon link for the same container. I think you can also pick up something similar from the container store.

I also recommend the muji acrylic drawers, you can get them online. Just google muji acrylic drawers, and you'll see a ton of images of makeup collections using those drawers.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

i saw some on ebay but they are very $$$ and I would rather spend $100+ on makeup/skin care. 

roxystar4

veevali, you are amazing! Im not just saying that. It was really sweet of you to type all that info for me.

veevali

(0) Hearts

I also wanted to say that I don't actually own the muji drawers, but they've been on my wishlist for a while now. They have stores in NYC if you're near there and I believe they are cheaper in the store due to S&H.

veevali

Thanks! It was no problem, aren't we all here to help each other out? You should check out muji dot us, their online store. It's $28 for the five drawer one, but I don't know how much it is for shipping. I agree that they aren't worth $100+

rainbow781

(0) Hearts

Oooh such great ideas, I need a new storage program my makeup is just kind of scattered and in drawers.I keep saying that I'm going to organize but I never do haha :smileyhappy: I guess I better change that soon.

helpful

I have those same drawers- I may have to steal your idea, so cute!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 52 replies
  • 85 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • nikki
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe
    • emmaclaire
    • dianabt
    • janinebt