SJarrar

Contouring for beginners?

(0) Hearts

I've been wanting to start contouring/highlighting but it's always been SO intimidating to me. I also have really fair/dry skin so I don't know what products/shades would look the best on my skin tone. I've heart that cream foundations are a good product to start off with when you first begin contouring but I just really don't know where to start!!!!! 

Please help me out and share useful tips please!

lylysa

Re: Contouring for beginners?

[ Edited ]

For a basic run down of how to contour and highlight, check out:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/experimenting-with-new-makeup-ideas/m-p/416325#M1078

The above thread has a visual that details out contouring/bronzing, highlighting, and various blush applications while giving tips on application and covers the principles on how contouring/highlighting operates so you get a full understanding on how to alter techniques and applications to give you the desired look you want.

In regards to cream based contouring products, check into Cover FX's Total Cover Creme Foundation or OCC's Skin Conceal, both come with a variety of shades that you can also use for highlighting as well.

COVER FX - Total Cover Cream FoundationObsessive Compulsive Cosmetics - Skin Conceal

Though your skin is dry, you can still use powder based products to highlight and contour, application is key and so is finding a suitable formula, be sure the powder doesn't feel chalky or gritty, the smoother the texture, the more even it will lay on your skin.

Too Faced's Milk Chocolate Bronzer and Benefit's Hoola Bronzer are two matte bronzing options that work beautifully as contouring products for fair skin. The colors are muted enough to not over power or leave you looking red or orange, but has enough pigment to give a believable and natural enhancement to skin.

HoolaMilk Chocolate Soleil Light/Medium Matte Bronzer

In regards to highlighting, there's a world of creams, liquids, and powders so it'll be based on preference. Creams will generally tend to be a bit heavier on pigmentation and overall sheen upon initial application, liquids allow you to change the opacity (build up with layers or thin down with lotion), and powders are quite flexible too, but again, be sure you find a good quality powder to ensure building up doesn't mean making skin look dusty or chalky.

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 hearts
  • 2 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • SJarrar