Cheer14

Concealer

Why does my concealer draw more attention to my acne? My concealer never blends in well with my foundation. I am currently using Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 hr Foundation with Dermablend concealer, it has the best coverage for my acne. However, I can always tell where I applied the concealer and it never seems to blend in, it always creates splotchy patches on my skin. Do you think I just have the wrong color, or the consistency is just wrong? I also apply the stick straight to my acne, is that wrong?

liveinlovexx

Re: Concealer

This thread is super super helpful! Thanks lylysa! :]

Cheer14

lylysa- Thanks this was so helpful!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I'm glad it could help, Cheer14! :smileyvery-happy:

Hopefully future concealing goes well!

lylysa

Which concealer from Dermablend are you using in particular? Along with your Tarte foundation and the concealer from Dermablend, are you using a primer underneath? What tool or technique do you use to apply your concealer/foundation?

If the blemish you're trying to cover is raised in any form (be it a swollen, red blemish that is tender or even a whitehead/pustular blemish), the key is to use a very fine concealer brush like this one from Amazing Cosmetics (Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown also make variations).

swfupload_4980882543527160505.jpg

On primed, skin, gently pat and dot a bit of concealer onto the blemish site. If it's a liquid concealer or thicker, paste like concealer, apply a bit on the back of your hand (like a small bead or scrape a bit out) and let your body temperature warm up the product so it's not as thick or difficult to blend out. If you work with a stick concealer, take a few swipes of product on one side of your brush, leaving the other side clean so you can use that to blend out without working about adding too much onto skin. From there, dab and pat the product in a motion that moves all around the blemish, since it's raised, merely matting on top doesn't cover everything and just layers too much on one area.

Use this as a guide:

blmsblnd.jpg

The photo on the left shows using your concealer brush from all angles, working the top, sides, and all around the blemish site and the areas of redness or that may be pink/inflamed. The photo on the right shows what is typically done to cover a blemish, just working from one spot and repeatedly applying and working product over and over again, this leads to the sides and areas around the blemish to still be exposed and too much product being loaded only on the top.

Play with technique as far as using your concealer under your foundation or on top, find a process that works for you. If you find concealed areas are too cakey looking, take a diffusing/soft concealer brush like one from Sephora, and "buff" out the heavy area or around it to soften hard or cakey edges.

swfupload_2096572183236158941.jpg

veevali

[ Edited ]

This is awesome lylysa! Thanks for putting in the effort of drawing a diagram. 

lylysa

I love drawing out visuals, sometimes words on a screen just aren't enough!

prosopon

You drew this!! I am truely impressed not only in your skill, but the time and effort you take in providing info to anyone who needs help. I didn't ask the question, but this info helped me nonetheless.   Thanks!

lylysa

Aw, thanks, Prosopon! I tend to use the good ol' Paint program to help illustrate points in some of my posts (my photo album here has drawings scattered throughout). It's funny because I love drawing, but not matter how great I might work with a pencil and paper, using a mouse to click and drag on Paint always brings things down to the bare basics! :smileytongue: As long as the pic helps bring the point across then it has done its job! I'm glad it was able to help you.

rose8989

(0) Hearts

I used to use that foundation. I gave up on it too for that reason, couldn't find a concealer for acne or undereye circles that would blend and look right. I now use make up forever Matt velvet, and buff with sephora 55 brush. I no longer need conceler for acne, and it looks great 

LKuhle

(0) Hearts

Everyone here has really great tips! Have you ever watched Lisa Eldridge? She has a really awesome video on how to cover blemishes. It's her "Acne/Blemish Covering Make-Up" video and it is extremely helpful.

krunce

(0) Hearts

What about applying the concealer before you apply your foundation? 

clarks18

(0) Hearts

What are you using to blend with? A brush or just fingers? I think your fingers are the best at applying concealer. You do need something more than just your fingers to really get all the edges completely blended though. You should try a beauty blender. I was a bit of a skeptic and thought spending $20 on a sponge was a bit silly but I am glad I made the investment. I would apply the concealer you are using with your fingers, remember to pat that concealer and try not to drag it around too much. Just pat. Once you have it all patted out go in with the beauty blender and just pat again focusing on the edges and any area that looks a bit cakey. When using the beauty blender damp it really helps create an airbrushed look and smooth everything out.

Also I agree with everyone who said that you may want to think about a concealer with a different consistently. Tarte makes a liquid concealer. I use the Amazing concealer for my undereye area sometimes. The Makeup Forever one I think would be your best bet. I hope you find something that works for you!

jinxski

(0) Hearts

Maybe it's the wrong type of concealer! I also think that applying with a brush might give a more finished look.

I second Laura's Amazing Cosmetics recommendation - works really well!

Good luck!

cherrybombtastic

I think it might be the concealer not working for your acne-prone skin. I have acne and dry patches around my healing pimples, and for the longest time I avoided concealers in general because they accentuated the pimples. It can also be the concealer not working in conjunction with the foundation. Are you using the concealer under or over the foundation? That also makes a difference because there are people who swear by using it under the foundation or vice versa. Also, no one knows your skin better than you, so try to sample as many concealers as possible and experiment. I remember someone recommending me a concealer that looked great in store lighting, but when I was outside in the parking lot, my skin just looked horrible, so I immediately went back inside to return the product. For reference, I use the Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil under Everyday Mineral base, and I have acne-prone skin, oily skin during the summer but dry spots around my acne, and large pores. I hope this helps and good luck!

mxcx

I definitely agree that direct sunlight accentuates the differences that concealer can cause by about a million.. can't hide under the sun, as they say. ): 

I second concealer under foundation! Whenever I use concealer over foundation, it makes the pimples that much more obvious and flaky, especially since you're using Dermablend and it has a super duper dry formulation. I do think it has good coverage, but honestly how dry it is coupled with flakiness due to acne medication and healing of spots is just all bad. You should give a more creamy concealer a try, and use it in conjunction with a good primer to make it last longer. I really recommend Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer if you have oily skin; it's amazing. 

Cheer14

(0) Hearts

I think you are right, the Dermablend is way to dry, it always causes flakiness. 

cherrybombtastic

I never knew Dermablend had a drier consistency! That's the problem right there! I think people assume that just because one's skin is oily and acne-prone, one should use something that dries it up or something, but they don't keep in mind that the skin is flaky as well from acne products.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I agree with the Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer. Remember to use a small amount over your blemish with a fine tip brush or your fingers the more concealer you put on a pimple the bigger it will look. Hope this helps!

LolaVal

(0) Hearts

Hi Cheer14!  I would recommend trying Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo Concealer.  It's my HG concealer.  I love it because it's a liquid concealer that's full coverage yet doesn't dry too quickly or cake up.  I've tried the Make Up Forever Full Cover concealer but it was too thick for me and it was caking up quickly.  Perhaps it just doesn't suit my skin since a lot of people seem to like them.  Also, it matters what setting powder you are using as well.  I really like the LM one.  I suggest getting a sample of these concealers so you can play around with the consistency before committing to one.  

In regards to color - if you use a concealer that's too light or too dark, it will definitely show.  I think that when you ask for samples, ask for a couple of shades so you can see exactly which one matches with your foundation and setting power.  Good luck!

laurabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Cheer14, if you are using a stick concealer & having trouble blending it, you may want to switch to a creamier consistency like Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer, or Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer. They are liquid concealers, not solid, so you can blend them in easier with a brush or your fingers.  :smileyhappy: -Laura

Amazing Concealer.jpgMUFE Full Cover Concealer.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 28 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • prosopon
    • cherrybombtastic
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • jinxski