paradiserush

Cheap quality products!

(0) Hearts

I'm fourteen and since I don't really have that much money, I'm trying to find good products that are more in my budget. My max for each product would be 30-40 depending on what it is. I consider myself sort of a medium beige by the way. Here's a list of the types of products I would like...

•Bronzer

•Black Eyeliner (pencil please)

• Mascara

•Blush

•Eye Shadow Palettes 

•Luminizer

I would like a nice summery glow . I was wondering if foundation and primer should be used? My skin is pretty normal & just a couple pimples pop up on occasion. Do I even need it? 

What brushes should I even use? (quality drugstore brushes and what product to use them for please) I have no idea what they do or what to use on them! I know they can cost an arm and a leg, but I'm not trying to make it look professional but I don't want to look like a hot mess.

Sorry so many questions! I really have no idea where to start and I'm hoping someone could help.

mxcx

Re: Cheap quality products!

Hello! I remember when I was first starting out with makeup and was on a really tight budget, and I was so sad that everything was super expensive! ): To be honest, I think for most of the products you're looking for, you could probably go drugstore instead of high-end because the quality won't make THAT much of a difference. 

Bronzer: NYC Sunny or Revlon Photoready 

Both of these have really good pigmentation, but you might need a heavier hand with the NYC one because it's a little light for medium beige. I think both of these come in alternate colors though, so you should definitely go to CVS or Walgreens and check them out. Plus they're both super affordable, especially compared to the products sold at Sephora or in department stores.

Pencil Eyeliner: Milani Liquif'eye in Black

Super affordable, really good quality. The only thing I would caution with this is that it's a cool-toned black and can look a little harsh, but with medium beige skintone I think it'll be fine. 

Mascara: This honestly depends on what you're looking for in a mascara. If you save on other products and go drugstore, I think you could go high-end with this (personally I haven't loved any drugstore mascaras and I'm a mascara junkie, so I've tried a lot). I really like Korres Volcanic for volume and curl. It makes my straight, short lashes seem so much better than they actually are. :smileytongue: Benefit's They're Real is also pretty good, and I find that it doesn't dry as quickly as the Korres.

Blush: Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush (high-end) or Wet n Wild rectangular pan blushes (drugstore) or ELF Studio Blushes

The Wet n Wild blushes are super duper affordable (I think they're like $2.99 each?) and the pigmentation is good, although I think their shade range is a little boring. The ELF Studio Blushes are 3$ each as well and the pigmentation is also pretty good, although I find the chunky glitter and shimmer a little frustrating sometimes. The Tarte blushes are great, but much less affordable. I personally love Exposed; it's such a beautiful nude and shows up on any skintone for a natural flush.

Eyeshadow: Depending on what and how many colors you're looking for, this is really broad. You can try the Lorac Pro Palette for mattes and shimmers, although it is pretty pricey. I personally think that you could go drugstore with eyeshadows, just you might have to buy a few more palettes because they're generally smaller than Sephora's. The Wet n Wild palettes are generally good; they usually have mostly pigmented colors and a few that are slightly chalky, but for the price point you can't really go wrong. If you live close to a Walgreens, you can check out the Fergie Limited Edition eyeshadow palettes. I really like Desert Festival. The colors in there are perfect for summer, and I know that orange looks scary, but it's absolutely gorgeous as a sheer wash of lid color or to add dimension to the crease.

If you have normal skin and don't have to combat oil or large pores, I'd say you could probably skip the primer. Just make sure to find a foundation that doesn't make your skin oily and slide off within a couple hours. 

For foundation, I would suggest going high-end since it is your skin and I really think the difference is apparent in drugstore vs. department store skin products. If you like liquid foundation and natural coverage, I'd go with Makeup Forever's HD Foundation or Urban Decay Naked Skin. If you're looking for foundation that will stay on and control oil, I love Hourglass Immaculate, but since your skin is normal, you could try the other Hourglass foundation that isn't geared towards oily skin. The only thing is that Hourglass Immaculate dries down to a powdery finish so it can eliminate the need for a setting powder afterwards. 

Brushes! Oh my gosh, I am always so frustrated by how much brushes cost. I recommend looking into the ELF Studio line. Not all the brushes are good, but I personally really like the Studio Powder Brush (the flat-top one). This one you can use for buffing in liquid foundation (but don't press too hard because it's not that dense and can suck up the product) or for more coverage for a setting powder. The Complexion Brush is good for powder or even blush/bronzer, depending on how big an area you want to cover (it's pretty big). Their eyeliner brushes are generally pretty good, although I really dislike the Eyeshadow C Brush. I know a lot of people really love that one, but I find it prickly and rough against my eyelids. I'd also recommend staying way from the non-Studio line; I've used three or four brushes from there and hated them all except for the blending brush, which is okay but sheds like crazy.

Another drugstore brand you can find at Ulta or CVS is EcoTools, and they make pretty good brushes across the board. I like their small Kabuki, as well as their concealer brush. Sonia Kashuk at Target also makes pretty good brushes, but hers are on the pricier side. I've also found this one brand of brushes at WalMart that I absolutely love, but they don't have an actual brand on the package.. they come in a blue-blacked package with black and silver handles though. Their face brushes are also really great (again, no package name.. weird, I know).

Oh, and you might want to look into an eyeshadow primer if your lids are prone to creasing. For a really inexpensive option, the ELF Essential Eyelid Primer actually works really well!

Hope this helped. (:

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 heart
  • 2 in conversation
    • mxcx
    • paradiserush