lindseykat
Accepted Solution

Brush me up to speed, please!

This is embarassing (hangs head in shame), but can someone give me a quick make-up brush 101? Stippling? Contour? Angled? I own them all, but I don't have a clue what to do with them!

makeupobesessed

Re: Brush me up to speed, please!

To piggyback on your question...is a lip brush really necessary? I started wearing lipstick and now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something having applying it with a brush.
kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

Hi makeupobesessed - I think a lip brush is optional. I use one on and off. Sometimes I think it can give a little more polished look and just fill in and define your lips a little more, and maybe give a little better, more precise coverage. I think with deeper or bolder colors it's probably more beneficial. Like I said, I seem to go in spurts where I have to have it, often based on color. I do think it can help with lighter colors as well. For some reason it seems if I pull out a lip liner I usually end up getting out the old liner brush as well.

I think it might be in your best interest to invest a little more money in this area. I purchased one a looooong time ago, can't think of what brand it is, but it was a pricey 'cosmetic counter' brush that is retractable, which I Love. It's all silver and looks super elegant, it was worth the extra money. You can try a less expensive one and if you think it's something you'd like to continue with then purchase a more expensive one, only thing is a cheaper one might not give you the same results and might make you think it's not  your thing. You can always purchase a quality one, try it out with different lipsticks and return it if you don't like it. So, I say invest in a good retractable one, you'll have it for years, and even if you don't use it all the time, it's nice to have it and pull it out when you use certain color or texture lipstick. Especially for special occasions.

One other benefit, when I have a lip gloss or other lip product that's in a pot. I don't like sticking my fingers into it. I think it's a bit germy and it definitely introduces more bacteria to and shorten the life of your lip product. You could possibly use a less expensive one for this purpose.

So, hope that helps you. Let me know if you need any more info. If you don't mind and if you think of it will you let me know if you get one and whether or not you like it, I always love hearing other peoples opinions and how things work out. Best of luck to you. :smileyhappy:

If you change your avatar to lips, I'll assume that means you got/liked your lip brush. :smileyhappy:)

brandiandi

@makeupobsessed --With a lip brush it is all about preference. I think a lip brush is helpful for really bold shades when I want to control how saturated the colors get. I think it just comes down to personal preference overall though. If you want to try it out and see if you like using a brush, I would suggest the E.L.F.Studio Retractable lip brush. It's only $3 for a pretty decent brush. You can see if it is for you, and if not, well no big loss!

kssweetheart

Hi Lindseykat - you shouldn't feel at all embarassed, everybody knows different things, that's one of the reason this forum is so amazing, so we can come and ask, share and help. First you have your Blush brush, that one's kind of obvious. The others, not as obvious.

Your Contour Brush, you would use this to add shading, like if you suck in your cheeks to do a 'fish face' you would put a darker/contour color in that area, underneath where your blush is applied to draw that area in and make your cheek bone/blushed area more obvious, makes your features a little sharper & face a little thinner. You can also apply contour on either side of your nose if you have a wide nose and also where you would get a double chin, the darkness makes it recede a little so it's less obvious. You could also have a contour eyeshadow brush and that would be used to put shadow in that deep-crease area

A Highlighting Brush would be used to highlight just above where you applied your blush and about an inch below your eye, following the up-outward direction of your blush and contour, don't let your highlighter go below about the center-pupil area of your eye, you don't want it too close to your nose. This brings lightness and brightness to this area and pulls your cheekbone area 'up' for a more youthful look. You can also highlight just under the eyebrow, on the brow bone and just above your eyebrow. A speck of highlight on the inner corner of your eye helps diffuse the dark color/shadow that is in that area. Again all give a more youthful, awake look. You can go a bit heavier with a highlighter in the little "V" on the innermost corner of your eye, like where your tearduct is. There are a lot of highlighter wands that are preloaded and are especially good for this area and the brow bone (under eyebrow) You can also highlight a speck immediately the center of your bottom lip and in the little area above center of top lip, called your Cupids Bow. That can make your lips a speck fuller.

You also can use a foundation brush with liquid foundation, I don't use liquid though

A Stippling brush is used to like dabble/push product in to a certain area, think arts and crafts, did you ever use a sponge with a little paint on it and dab at various spots to make a pattern? It's like that. Wish I could''ve thought of a better example. Stippling brushed can be used with certain powders that you would use to fill in an area of the scalp where you may have thinning hair, and you go over that area dabbing, kind of firmly/hard while you keep the brush moving. Did that make sense? Hope so.

There are different brushes for applying a loose or compact powder or mineral foundation or a finishing powder. Some are very large and full with softer bristles, you use that to sweep the product all over your face, this gives less coverage. You could also choose a brush with tighter bristles, not as soft, loose or full. This type of brush gives more coverage. Kabuki brushes can range anywhere in between and your could use them for any type of dry foundation, blush or finishing powder.

As far as an angled brush goes, you could have an angled blush brush, highlighting brush or angled contour (probably others too) It usually will indicate directly on the brush what type of angled brush it is.

Smashbox is famous for there brushes and Mally loves to contour & highlight. You could check out either of their sites to get more info, they should have at the very least, more detailed written instructions, but you may also get lucky and find tutorial videos. There are some serious hardcore contour/highlight and other techniques out there, I just mentioned some that came to mind. So you might want to check those 2 sites out.

Mally makes some nice palettes that have a Highlighter, Blush and Contour colors, as well as coordinating brushes. I love these palettes because she makes it so easy. Even the brushes are easy to figure out, there is a double ended brush - one end has black bristles, as you use darker colors to contour. The other end of that brush has white-ish bristles that correspond with the lighter, shimmery-ish colors you use to hilight. She also has some great kits (like the kits on QVC that are well priced, when they have a TSV by Mally the price is amazing. Sephora has value sets that are often an amazingly economical way to try lots of products, not sure if there are any by Mally though)

I know this was terribly long, sorry for that, hope it helped you out though. There are more products and brush types out there, way more than I mentioned here. Let me know if there are any other questions, I'll do my best to help you out. I'm sure lots of other girls will have great answers for you too. Hope not a lot of typo's, didn't proof b4 sending. Best of luch and I hope you have fun with this.:smileyhappy:

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • brandiandi
    • lindseykat
    • kssweetheart
    • makeupobesessed