Answer
ncip
Brush cleaners, are they overly drying for brushes?

I noticed that alcohol is a main ingredient in a number of the brush cleaners (including Sephora's spray cleaner) and I am worried about the effect that will have on the natural bristles on some of my brushes.  Has anyone had a problem with that, or does anyone have any suggestions for other brands of cleaners that have a different base ingredient?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 6
pinkyy13
Answered
(0) Hearts

There are two reason why you see alcohol in brush cleansers. Its a disinfectant of course. But alcohol also dries fast so it always you to clean your brushes in between eyeshadow colors (for example). 

Make sure to deep clean your brushes about once a week (baby shampoo works well). Olive oil also helps to keep them nice and soft if you feel that they are getting dry.

thecaramelapple
Answered
(0) Hearts

Yeah, but it's important to have alcohol in a cleanser because it acts as a disinfectant. If you notice your brushes are getting a bit dry try deep conditioning them with olive oil from time to time so they stay soft.

kalex
Answered
(0) Hearts

My favorite is Sephora's brush shampoo.  I've been using it for a couple of years now and it has not had negative effects on any of my brushes (both natural or synthetic).

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P208012&categoryId=B70

loveee143
Answered
(0) Hearts

my favorite brush cleanser is MAC's brush cleanser. only around 13 dollars and lasts a long time! for deep cleaning your brushes i reccomend using johnsons baby shampoo and some olive oil maybe! I haven't had a problem with my brushes and i spot clean them almost every day!

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

I use Sephora's Daily Brush Cleaner for my quick cleanings and I haven't had any problems with damage to my brushes.  I give my brushes a "deep" cleaning once or twice a month with a mixture of baby shampoo and water and I always lay them flat on a clean, dry towel to air dry.  The brush cleaners are designed to clean brushes and I've found them safe to use.  I've been using them for years and my brushes have held up for years so I think it's safe to say that they are safe to use.

I hope this helps you. :smileyhappy:

pocketvenus
Answered
(0) Hearts

You can always mix in a wee bit of olive oil to keep your brushes conditioned. I use a combo of olive oil and a very gentle, organic dish soap.

Question Stats
  • 6 answers
  • 1 heart
  • 7 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • kalex
    • loveee143
    • pocketvenus
    • pinkyy13
    • thecaramelapple
    • ncip