elinj

Bridesmaide makeup help

[ Edited ]

So I have exactly 3 weeks until my brother's wedding and I'm struggling with figuring out my makeup.  I am doing my own and I want to look like me but wedding appropriate.  I use BB creams every day, I have a load of mostly shimmery eye-shadows, I wear Kat Von D's black tattoo liner every day.  My dress is black, my skin is pale (tho I'm trying to tan it up just a hint so I don't look like a ghost in it).  My hair will be a purple based red for the wedding and the colors are black, white, yellow/gold with accents of purple (hence the hair being okay to be purple).  I've heard so much mixture on what your makeup should be, matte vs dewy, natural vs dramatic, toned down vs statement, matte vs shimmery... Should I ditch the BB creams for the day and switch to a foundation?  Should I go for a bright or neutral lip?  Should my eye makeup be shimmery or matte?  Should I ditch the black liner and try something I am unfamiliar with?  Should my face be matte or dewy (my skin can tend to get a bit oily thru the day too)?  Lots of questions, but while I've got my daily look and my going out looks firmly in hand, I want to look awesome for this wedding and need advice and suggestions!  Also, I wear contacts and have no clue what mascara will last me thru the day and not irritate my eyes.  HELP! :smileysurprised:

beautylovingirl

Re: Bridesmaide makeup help

It looks really pretty I'm sure you'll look great once it's all put together with your dress and all. :smileyhappy: 

elinj

I certainly hope so!  Thank you!

elinj

Thank you so much for your help everyone!  I went to Sephora yesterday with your advice and got the advice of the staff as well.  I ended up getting a few things, including some new brushes to help do the look, and one of the girls did a test run eye on me then had me do the other.  Today I got up and tried to do the whole face myself.  Below are some of the pictures of the end result.  The last three are inside with flash, the first is indirect natural light.  I'm still playing with lip color, but I think the rest of the face is finalized!2013-06-02 14.56.23.jpg2013-06-02 13.54.04.jpg2013-06-02 13.53.31.jpg2013-06-02 13.50.26.jpg

Sammyelliott

(0) Hearts

It looks great :smileyhappy:

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

Wow! Looks great!! By the way, your green eyes are GORGEOUS!! 

elinj

(0) Hearts

thank you so much! :smileyhappy:

nebel

(0) Hearts

Looking lovely!!!!

elinj

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

consolvo

Very nice! Do you mind telling me what you used on your lips?

elinj

It was a combination of Urban Decay Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Color in Naked and NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Have you watched Lisa Eldridge's video on bridal makeup?  Def matte foundation, softer makeup, no shimmer (for photographs), perhaps a light rose/plum lip.  Go watch her video.  Great tips there!

mafan

(0) Hearts

Sorry, the system doesn't want me to reply to a post.  Anyway, I think going to the store and trying things if you want to buy them new is a great idea.  Get a friend (or a helpful cast member) to take pictures if you try something out.  Every store I've been to will also hand you a mirror and try to get you into the best light they have nearby if you've tried something on and are working with them, so take advantage of it if you can.  If you tell them you're working on wedding makeup, every store I've been in will try to be helpful.

And as I said, don't wear anything that you don't feel comfortable in.  Your confidence will override any makeup any day!  Have fun!

elinj

(0) Hearts

Thank you!  Such wonderful insights.  I'm so thankful for the advice!  I'm definitely going to get help from the staff tomorrow to pick the right items guided by all the advice here as well.  Thank you!!!

keiraleighxoxo

I am not a professional, but make-up is my true passion, and I have done make-up on several people for proms/weddings/special occasions. If the photograph is going to be using a flash (which is probable), avoid shimmery or metallic anything. For the eyes you will want to use mostly neutral colors like different shades of brown. It is important when being photographed to do your best attempt at contouring so as not to appear "flat". Apply a light tan to the entire eyelid, a white on the brown bone and inner corer, a medium brown in the crease, and a dark brown in the outer corner. I recommend using all matte, there are a lot of great quads you could buy. As far as eyeliner goes, definitely line the top and bottom lash lines so it appears that you have very full lashes. If you are going to use liquid liner, do not get too crazy with it and add a super thick line or wing. Keep everything matte and fairly neutral. Good luck!

elinj

(0) Hearts

wow, thank you!  Thats great information!  I don't really ever use browns, and I'm hesitant to use browns with black (and I wear black CONSTANTLY) so going into browns is definitely uncharted territory for me.  I think I'm going to go to Sephora this weekend to see what I can find for matte colors and quads.  thank you!!

mafan

(0) Hearts

I think with eyeshadow, browns go with everything.  They're very neutral, natural colors.  It will draw attention to your eyes, not your eye makeup, if that makes sense.

And yes, you can definitely wear brown shadows with black clothes. You don't have to match your eyeshadow to your clothes -- match it to your skin and eye color and wear something that is flattering regardless of your clothes, especially if you're not looking to make a bold statement!

elinj

(0) Hearts

I almost always match my shadow to my clothes, and my pens to my clothes....I've been laughed at because of it at work.  LOL.  I think my trip to Sephora tomorrow is going to be very useful to find some good neutral/natural colors.  Thank you again!

carrierose

(0) Hearts

Avoid SPF, it looks bad in photos because of the flash.  We have totally different hair, but I posted a photo and list of what I used as a bridesmaid four days ago in Off Topic...I would link it but I am mobile!

elinj

wonderful!  thank you so much!  I'll take your list into consideration for sure.  You've got some great items on there!!! :smileyhappy:

Cat588

(0) Hearts

I agree with kstrat. My sister got married 3 years ago and we got our makeup done and that's pretty much the exact look that they did. It was neutral enough that it was "holy makeup batman!" but it was still more than I wore on a everyday basis.

As for foundation, I would stick with matte and maybe use a highlighter to give you a glow on your cheek bones. You'll probably get your picture taken a lot and sometimes dewy foundations can come off as greasy/oily with flash photography. Like nebel said, try taking pictures so you can see the results.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • elinj
    • maltipoo66
    • carrierose
    • jennypenny1995
    • consolvo
    • mafan