elinj

Bridesmaide makeup help

[ Edited ]

So I have exactly 3 weeks until my brother's wedding and I'm struggling with figuring out my makeup.  I am doing my own and I want to look like me but wedding appropriate.  I use BB creams every day, I have a load of mostly shimmery eye-shadows, I wear Kat Von D's black tattoo liner every day.  My dress is black, my skin is pale (tho I'm trying to tan it up just a hint so I don't look like a ghost in it).  My hair will be a purple based red for the wedding and the colors are black, white, yellow/gold with accents of purple (hence the hair being okay to be purple).  I've heard so much mixture on what your makeup should be, matte vs dewy, natural vs dramatic, toned down vs statement, matte vs shimmery... Should I ditch the BB creams for the day and switch to a foundation?  Should I go for a bright or neutral lip?  Should my eye makeup be shimmery or matte?  Should I ditch the black liner and try something I am unfamiliar with?  Should my face be matte or dewy (my skin can tend to get a bit oily thru the day too)?  Lots of questions, but while I've got my daily look and my going out looks firmly in hand, I want to look awesome for this wedding and need advice and suggestions!  Also, I wear contacts and have no clue what mascara will last me thru the day and not irritate my eyes.  HELP! :smileysurprised:

elinj

Re: Bridesmaide makeup help

(0) Hearts

Thank you.  I'm already a bit oily so I don't want to look that way in pictures for sure.  :smileyhappy:

nebel

(0) Hearts

It is very important to remember that you will be in photographs, and you want your face to look good not only in person, but in the albums that will be kept for years!  I recommend that any look you decide on, you practice in advance and TAKE PHOTOS of yourself to see how it looks on camera.  I think the only guideline about what your foundation makeup "should" be is what makes you feel comfortable and beautiful- be that dewy, matte, foundation, bb cream...  Don't skimp on the blush- you will want your cheeks to look flushed and vibrant (but not clownish!!) so you don't look washed out in photos.   Good luck! i'm sure you will be beautiful!

elinj

(0) Hearts

Good point!  I'm so pale I always looked washed out in photos.  Blush, check!  :smileyhappy:  And great suggestion about taking pictures of myself.  I always think I look good in the mirror and then when I take a picture I look blah.  thanks!

maltipoo66

(0) Hearts

Hi!  Sin on the lid is a good idea, then maybe a taupe shade (a grey/brown) in the crease would look nice and give your eyes definition, then finish it off with your Kat Von D eyeliner and your mascara.

elinj

(0) Hearts

Do you think brown based colors will look okay with a black dress?  I've been tempted to just do Sin and be done with it, but I get the need to do something of definition in the crease.  I never wear browns, so I'm not as comfortable with them.

kstrat

I have some great tips because I was planning to do my prom makeup by myself but then I ended up not going to prom, but anyways...

wear a foundation without SPF so, I would ditch the BB cream for the night.  See if you can get a sample of a foundation just to wear for the night, and who knows you might fall in love.  The makeup Forever HD foundation was the one I was planning to purchase.  The HD setting powder is great to apply as we'll it make your skin flawless!

For your eyes I would do a neutral eye, maybe a light brown smokey eye and incorporate some gold shimmer into it.  Also use the tattoo liner because it's what you like!  I'd try a natural brand mascara like Tarte I think they gave waterproof one, my mom uses it and likes it.  

For lips, go with whatevemakes you happy an comfortable.  I'd suggest a pink toned neutral lip.  My suggestion is MACs creme cup and a dupe for that is Maybelline Born With It or Wet and Wild Think Pink.  I have the Maybelline one and I love it!  ypu could use revolt soft nude for a more beige neutral lip.

overall I would say keep it natural with a little extra drama.  You don't want to out do the bride but you still want to look nice.  Have fun!!

mafan

(0) Hearts

The Tarte mascara is Lights, Camera, Splashes. I can vouch that it is waterproof, having worn it in the pool twice last weekend. The formula is a bit wet, so just beware. 

Whatv you choose, try it out enough that you're comfortable, or wear what you know. I went to my brother in law's wedding a month and a half ago (and my husband was the best man and we were both in family pictures). I thought I'd like a darker lip color but didn't try everything together. I was so glad to have my other lipstick around because I had to rush and change before I left. That dark color was definitely not me, at least not that night!

elinj

(0) Hearts

I'll keep the Tarte one in mind, I'm testing two right now and if they fail me, that'll be one of the next ones I try!  Thanks!

Very good point.  I'm thinking of going to Sephora this weekend and seeing if I can get a little help getting the final pieces so I can practice for the next two weeks.

elinj

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for the suggestions!  I'm definitely going to keep that in consideration and start looking into the MF HD foundation and the lips.  I've never tried MF foundation, so I'll definitely have to look into it.

maltipoo66

Hi! First off, I would stick to what you're familiar with but amp it up a little bit, so that you just look like a more beautiful version of yourself, not a completely different person.  If you're used to wearing Kat Von D's Tattoo liner, I'd apply it the way you usually do, but add some of the shimmery shadows in neutral colors to the lid and crease first (like gold on the lid and bronze in the crease).  It would be easier to tell you exactly what shades would be best for you if I knew your eye color and what eyeshadow shades you own, so feel free to private message me if you want or just reply to this post.  

Wearing your usual BB cream is fine, but I'd recommend setting it with a powder to make sure it lasts all day-the Amazing Cosmetics Velvet Mineral Pressed Powder is sweat-proof, and this Tarte setting powder is great too:

http://www.sephora.com/velvet-mineral-pressed-powder-foundation-P208609?skuId=1041169

http://www.sephora.com/smooth-operator-micronized-clay-finishing-powder-with-pm20-P266113

Since you'll be doing black liner on the eyes, I would go with a neutral rosy lip, which will still give you a little color without trying to compete with your eyes-I love Buxom's Amsterdam for this:

http://www.sephora.com/buxom-big-healthy-lip-stick-P243804?skuId=1250364

For your mascara question, I love the Tarte Lights Camera Splashes waterproof mascara-it literally lasts through anything, from intense workouts to swimming.  I don't wear contacts, but it might be worth checking out:

http://www.sephora.com/lights-camera-splashes-waterproof-mascara-P179924?skuId=1001775

Hope that helps, good luck!

elinj

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'm going to definitely take them  into consideration for sure!

I tend to wear more silvers on my eyes, or Sin from Urban Decay mixed with Polyester Bride, but I've got a ton of different colors and a few palettes. I've got hazel eyes, fair skin and normally dark strawberry blonde hair, that I'm dying a purpley red (I've done it before and LOVE it). I'm not sure that neutral brown colors would suit a wedding with blacks, I've never mixed the two, does it look okay? For all the makeup love I have, I honestly feel like a newbie when it comes to this!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • elinj
    • maltipoo66
    • carrierose
    • jennypenny1995
    • consolvo
    • mafan