Answer
maipie
Best way to clean makeup brushes?

I was just wondering what is the best way to clean my makeup brushes?

For example if one day I used a dark shadow & the next day I want to use a light shadow with the same brush but don't want any of the shadow I used from the previous day. Even if I brush the brush on a paper towel or something it doesn't always come off & I find that out once it is already on my face. Plus I want to both take the makeup/shadow off the brush and really clean the brush as well.

Thank You!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 18
prettyinpa
Answered

I use a brush cleaner (Sephora makes a good one) to really clean my brushes, gets out foundation and all types of shadow and gel liners. Some people clean their brushes with baby shampoo, that works well too. Always remember to dry your brushes flat, don't put them bristles up in a container as the water in the ferrule (where the bristles are glued in) will cause them to fall out.

tmgood1
Answered

I clean mine with the same cleanser that i use on my face, then let them dry flat on a towel.  and I agree about cleaning them at night, then they're ready to use the next morning .

tenngal
Answered

Like prettyinpa, I use Sephora's Daily Brush Cleaner to do quick cleanings on my brushes to get eyeshadow, foundation, etc., out of my brushes.

However, at least once or twice a month I use baby shampoo diluted with water to deep-clean my brushes.  I shake most of the water out and then lay them flat on a clean, dry towel and let air dry. 

I hope this helps you. :smileyhappy:

daisy7859
Answered

Sephora's Daily Brush Cleaner is perfect to use in between using dark and light eyeshadows. You spray a tissue, rub your brush back and forth and the product comes off, bristles are clean and sanitized, and in a few moments your brush will be dry enough to use right away.

kd006
Answered
(0) Hearts

For spot cleaning I use the bare minerals quick change brush cleaner. it is not sold at sephora, but it is at ulta. Then once a week I use dawn dish soap and olive oil to deep clean my brushes. There are tons of videos on youtube talking about how to properly clean your makeup brushes.

aviscardi
Answered
(0) Hearts

I tend to just put them in a bag to wash if i want to use a light shadow after a dark one and switch them out. But i have heard of alcohol in between washes. not sure if you have to dilute it but you can pour some in a spray bottle

silverandgold
Answered
(0) Hearts

Baby shampoo to get it clean and rubbing alcohol to kill bacteria; then I press with a towel and let air dry!

fashionflaw
Answered
(0) Hearts

Yeah, I usually use a gentle shampoo with water in a cup swish them around until they are making the shampoo water mostly clear then I rinse them, a few swipes on a towel, then lay them flat to dry.

TIP: if you do it at night, then they're ready to use the next morning, and that way you aren't in a rush or having to worry about it! :smileyhappy:

JerryDieball
Answered
(0) Hearts

Yeah it's really important that you clear your make up brush,as if you wont clear your brush it would loose its softness.

http://iloveno1.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

katimae
Answered
(0) Hearts

pRETTY IN pa has got you covered!  I do mine the exact same way. I use Sephora's brush cleaning soap and it works great.  Brushes used for wet products, such as foundation,  cream eyeshadow,  lipstick should be washed out after every use. Brushes used for powders should be cleaned at least once a week or as needed.

warriorwitch
Answered
(0) Hearts

I like to use Master's Brush Soap, its a soap for artist's brushes as the name implies. You can find it at stores like Micheals or art and crafts stores that sell painting supplies. A hockey puck sized block runs $4-5. (There is also an ice cream pail size if you have A LOT of brushes.)

It can get literally anything off your brushes, as its made to take off actual paint. It also very gentle on the bristles and has conditioners to keep them soft (paint brush prices put makeup brushes to shame so its made to help them last for a long time). Its a solid soap so you can travel anywhere with it, and its way better priced than most cosmetic brush cleaners.

krissMUA
Answered
(0) Hearts

I use baby shampoo once a week on my brushes it's gentle enough, yet gets the job done at a reasonable price. Be sure to wash your brushes at night, so they are ready to use the following day. Flat drying on a towel and rinsing the brushes very well are very important. If not done properly, it can affect the quality of the brushes and cause fall out. Hope this helped.  

annonymous1
Answered
(0) Hearts

s1069947-main-hero.jpg

i think this one would be the best choice for you, its the one i use i actually just got it and i went home layed out a towel sprayed the brushes and i was disgusted! usually i clean my brushes once a week with like baby shampoo but omg! there was so much residue of eyeshadows and blush & liquid foundation stuck in my brushes, it was so gross. Anyway lol i got this and it completly took everything right off, i went from white shadow to black shadow in the same brush after one spray. But i do suggest the larger bottle, you will probably run out quickly. 

tinyjenny
Answered
(0) Hearts

I give mine a "good cleaning" once a week with sephora's shampoo for makeup brushes but you can really use any kind of regular shampoo.....I've never actually had a problem with color coming off from the previous days makeup.....usually after I'm done with my brushes after I put my makeup on everyday, I wipe them off as best as I can with a paper towel or kleenex....the next day I'm pretty much good to go....I honestly don't have any problems....and I have several brushes too, so it would be really tiresome to actually "wash/clean" them up every single night.  Good Luck:smileyhappy:

seanvaljean
Answered
(0) Hearts

I love these responses. I have subscribed to private label makeup brushes lately and I want to make them last as long as possible. http://www.crownbrush.us

marinaanne147
Answered
(0) Hearts

I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo to clean my brushes and it has worked really well for me. First, I wet the heads of all the brushes I want to watch and lay them out on the counter (don't stand them upright and let water drip into the ferrule and loosen the glue). Then I put a tiny bit of water in my hand and some baby shampoo into my left palm. Using my free hand, I pick up the brush and swirl it in my left palm until it's clean. Then I rinse the baby shampoo from the brush in the sink and lay it back on the counter to dry, which can take an hour to overnight depending on the size of the brush. If you are washing a lot of brushes, this method might leave you with a really dry palm, but I'm never washing more than 8 brushes at a time. 

I hope this helps you! Make sure you wash your brushes frequently to avoid bacteria buildup or depositing the wrong color on your face!

seanvaljean
Answered
(0) Hearts

I love these responses. I have subscribed to private label makeup brushes lately and I want to make them last as long as possible. http://www.crownbrush.us

pinkyy13
Answered
(0) Hearts

Baby shampoo is a great product to use to deep clean your brushes about once a week or so.

To spot clean your brushes (which means to clean in between using different eyeshadows or just cleaning them up to use them for the next day) I would try either MAC's brush cleanser or Sephora's brush cleanser. 

Just spray some on a kleenex and rub your brush in back and forth motions until you feel it is clean enough.

Sephora's brush cleanser: http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P208011&categoryId=C17390&shouldPaginate=true

Hope this helps!

Question Stats
  • 18 answers
  • 11 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • officegal
    • silverandgold
    • daisy7859
    • prettyinpa
    • katimae
    • tinyjenny