Fabz

Best Subscription Box Service

[ Edited ]

Hello all!

I am considering doing a subscription box such as glossybox, birchbox, or testtube. I feel like this will give me a little taste of products to help me choose new products when shopping. Please let me know your favorite boxes :smileyvery-happy:

ldeale3

Re: Best Subscription Box Service

(0) Hearts

Hi!  I have had birchbox now for 2 years.  I actually got year subscriptions for each of my bridesmaids which is how I originally heard about it.  I haven't heard of the others, but will def be checking them out now!  But for $10/month birchbox is awesome, I've found sooo many new products through them.  I find I kind of like the smaller samples to start with though because if its something you don't like or use its such a waste...

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

I love my test tube because its mostly full size products with brands i have actually heard of! lol

Meg82

(0) Hearts

This thread convinced me to try ipsy.  Tragically I was put on the waiting list.  Does anyone know how long the wait list usually lasts?

JenBlush

(0) Hearts

that's horrible! i subscribed two weeks ago and I got accepted right away! This month will be my first time receiving it!

Goodluck though!!

asdsfgh

(0) Hearts

I think i was on it for about a month or less

divagirl90

(0) Hearts

I have Ipsy ($10), Birchbox ($10), Naturebox (healthy snacks - $20), and sometimes PopSugar Must Have Box ($35). I recommend all of them. I've never received bad CS from any of them and, for the most part, I like most of the items that come in each of my sub boxes.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Naturebox is amazing.

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

I had ipsy & I loved it. Fairly inexpensive, only $10 a month. It comes with a small makeup bag every month! They also usually have somewhat of a theme, so the print or design on the bag each month goes with what the theme is. It is pretty neat, I have gifted a couple of those bags to family and friends. I only cancelled my subscription because I was changing banks & did not want my old card to get charged, while I waited to set up my new account somewhere else. I plan on subscribing again soon though, I think you would like it!

Yuumei

omg... I have never even heard of subscription boxes!!! I need to do some research :smileywink:

beeberz

i get popsugar must have and ipsy. I love them both so far! Popsugar has a mix of makeup, fitness,fashion, reads.. its also 35 bucks a month but i really do think its worth it. Ipsy is pretty awesome too , every month you get a new makeup bag and at least one full sized item, sometimes more. I was with birchbox from the time they started till about 2 months ago. I had a pile up of cardboard boxes i felt guilty at the thought of tossing them. They seemed to put more focus on presentation than actual products inside the packages.After opening up the package there is more waste than samples. The samples inside are more like free samples instead of deluxe samples (like 100 point perks) That I grew accustomed to as a paying subscriber. the points program was neat but the products in the shop are so highly priced that i wouldnt want to love them and wind up buying them when they ran out.

roxystar4

I have gotten 2 months of ipsy glam bag & like it. I really like items some items & the rest I give away :smileyhappy: but it is worth it for $10. Plus I get to try new things I wouldn't have chosen to buy 

LKuhle

I have both Birchbox and Ipsy. I'm still on the fence with Ipsy because the products are kinda... hit or miss in terms of quality and personalization. They usually send deluxe/full-size products, but if the quality is bad or it's personalized to your tastes then it doesn't matter. My last bag made me very tempted to cancel, but I'll see how the next one looks before I decide. Birchbox, however, I love. They have some off months from time to time, but overall they're pretty consistant when it comes to quality and making sure you get products that are tailored to your skin tone/hair type. I also love that you get points for every box, full-size product ordered, and review posted that you can use towards purchases later (every 100 points = $10).

I just signed up for Beauty Box 5 and am waiting for that to arrive this month... and Beauty Army, but haven't selected any samples to try yet.

heyyyyyy

love ipsy hate bb

macampa619

I love glossybox. Its a little more expensive 21 per month but really worth it. You get full size products and very high end items. Good luck. 

kalex

I subscribe to Sample Society and I really like it.  It's $15/month but you get a $15 off $50 code every month.  To give you an idea of what's in the box -

Last month:

Illume mini candle

Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser - deluxe

Philosophy Hope in a Jar - deluxe

Stila Tinted Moisturizer - deluxe

Stila Lip Glaze - deluxe

A previous month:

Hollywood Fashion Tape - deluxe (like 6 strips I think)

Butter London Polish - full-size

Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-In - deluxe

Lash Food Nano Peptide Lash Conditioner - deluxe

Murad Essential C Day Moisture - deluxe

drrragon

I loooooooove my Ipsy glambag!  It's so much fun to get a random bag of makeup for only $10!  I started subscribing because I thought it would be a fun way to explore brands or products that are new to me or that I don't normally run into, and it's definitely worked out really well for me.

So far I have "discovered" some wonderful gel eyeliners, my new favorite lipstick formula, dry shampoo (never tried it before, loving it now!), a really pigmented blush, the incredibly awesome Pacifica  brand, and a bunch of adorable little cosmetic bags!

I did consider birchbox at first, but after seeing how many sample foil packets you get, it just wasn't worth it for my purposes.  Seems like the main reason people stick with birchbox is their awesome point system, but realistically I know I wouldn't have the patience to write that many reviews in order to save $ in the birchbox store.

poshified

The only thing I liked about Birchbox was that you could review the products you received in your box in exchange for points that you can redeem for full sized higher end products. I just stopped all of my subscriptions (with the exception of Wantable) because I feel that I'd rather put the $40+ total in boxes per month toward a good high end purchase instead :smileyhappy:

drrragon

oh yeah Wantable looks really great!  I suffered from agonies of indecision a few months ago when i really really REALLY wanted to subscribe, but just couldn't do it since I have too much cosmetics already.  If I was in the position of starting up a new makeup stash, I would SO be jumping all over that.  

wendyomgwar

I have Birchbox and Ipsy and I've tried the Test Tube Beauty. I have to say I've done the math on all the full size products I get from Birchbox and they usually do end up being around $120 but lately I haven't been getting as many full size items, and as other girls have commented they give samples that are not deluxe sized, and you could get for free by going in stores or ordering online.

As for Ipsy they send  a lot of full size products but do keep in mind that you're going to get some lower brand items, they have introduced me to many new brands that I would have never gotten on my own though.

And as for the Beauty TestTube I loved my one that I got! I love that you get to see what you're getting and mostly all the products were full size it was well over its retail price. 

dolceloure

[ Edited ]

I've been subscribed to Birchbox, Ipsy and Beauty Army, so I can comment on those.

Birchbox: For $10/month, the products were alright. I was rarely ever in love with anything, and I got a lot of small foil packets as my samples which kind of annoyed me. BUT, their rewards system is great. For every sample you get, you can review it online and get 10 points. Every 100 points = $10 off your purchase. (You also get points when you purchase things from their shop, and referrals). Anyway, I eventually quit though b/c I found my other 2 subscriptions to be more satisfying. I'm thinking of rejoining though -- I miss the points, lol.

Ipsy: I know you didn't mention this one, but it's by far my favorite subscription! Also $10, and you get your samples in a cute beauty bag each month. I love that most of the products they send are makeup, and really good sizes. I'd say Ipsy is the one service that introduced me to brands I wouldn't have thought to try.

Beauty Army: Also not on your list, but it might be worth looking at. What I love about this one is that you get to choose your samples (6 total, comes in a nice reusable box for $12/month). I've also gotten some really great makeup products out of this subscription, but one downside to it is that your 6 samples come out of a choice of 9. On the upside, if you don't like the selection, you can redo your beauty profile quiz (which kind of determines what samples they offer you) until you get a selection you like, or you can just skip that month.

Currently, I'm not getting any of these boxes, but it's mainly b/c I finished school and had a few months of downtime before working again. I'm moving in August and as soon as the paychecks start kicking in, I'm definitely going back to Ipsy and Beauty Army...still on the fence with Birchbox though.

Hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

prosopon

I just signed up for birchbox.  I have only received one box so far and I was not impressed.  It didn't help that I previewed the box online and saw so many things that they were giving in some of the boxes that looked cool and I so wanted to try, but unfortunately  did not get.  I know that they have profile questions that help you get more of the items that you want, and I tried to choose the answers that would get me more makeup products.  I did not get any makeup product!  I will let it continue for a few more months to see if it gets better, otherwise I can spend my $10 elsewhere.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 62 replies
  • 76 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • kareninca
    • prosopon
    • chupi
    • jhopjsh