starletta8

Best Natural-looking Self-Tanner for Fairest of the Fair?

Hey BTers-

You all know how I embrace my natural pasty whiteness. I celebrate being translucent.  I own it.

However, even I am not a fan of seemingly internally lit pasty white legs in the office during the summer. I need something to take just a teeny bit of the edge off and still look natural so that I can get away without pantyhose in the office.

I've picked up two possible candidates so far- remember, I want something very light and not "I baked in orange self-tanner".  I don't plan on doing my arms- this is just to even out my skintone on my legs.

Does anyone have experience with:

• Sephora Moisturizing Bronzing Body Lotion
  • Nivea Sun-Kissed Beautiful Legs Shave Minimizing Gradual Tan Moisturizer (fair-medium)?

Note: I'm not interested in actually getting a tan. Or anything medium. Or dark. Or tropical. I just want to be confident showing my legs that never see the sun!

Thanks!

person11

Re: Best Natural-looking Self-Tanner for Fairest of the Fair?

(0) Hearts

bump

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Update: I finally hit my "no more tan!!" moment.  For those keeping track, it was 5 days of Nivea with a break and then 4 of the Sephora.  I know I'm not dark in comparison with anyone else, but for me? I'm dark. Darker than I've ever been in my life!

rikkie

Wooo! Success! Are you happy with the way those two worked out or will you keep testing out other products for maintenance?

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I think I'm going to stick with the Sephora Collection- partially because of the price.  It doubles as an amazing body lotion, so it's a fantastic multi-tasker.

Plus, the price cannot be beat.  I know I'm on a no-buy, but I've gotten a couple of backup tubes and will be buying a couple more so that I have a backup supply.

Everyone I work with knows that I won't be going on vacation, so getting any darker will just look silly.

I should mention- I use some of the Charlotte Ronson bronzer on my legs. I'm so sad that it's apparently being discontinued- it's a fantastic product!

clarks18

Try the new Tarte one in the white tube.  It's a little pricey but well worth it.  Mine has lasted me through about 10 applications and I still have about half the bottle left.  I recommend applying it at night and waiting the full 10 mins for it to dry.  When you wake up in the morning take a shower and the color will be even and natural looking.  When applying the lotion do the long even strokes that are recommended.  I usually do the front side of a leg or arm then do the back.  I'm super fair and this gave me a sunkissed glow that I have never had before.  If you apply this in the morning and go about your day you will notice that sunless tanner smell at the end of the day.  Other than that it's great.  It is actually pretty moisturizing too.

JBannaana

(0) Hearts

Hi there, I have been using Vita Liberata tanners for a few years now - I tried so many and these are the best - because you can just wear them throughout the day - they don't smell and don't transfer at all (ok if you have a super sweaty job maybe a tiny bit on day 1 but washes out fine - nothing like the other ones!). So you can apply after morning shower - and get darker throughout the day! Watch out - medium - gets quite dark!! And it makes your skin really soft!! So happy I can now buy in America!!! I am always tanned and everyone thinks it's just how I am as I have dark hair but I am secretely Adams family hahhha. Love quality tanners... Recommend lotions if your skin is a bit drier. 

Spoiler

starletta8

(0) Hearts

They're really dark? 

rikkie

(0) Hearts

I was reading about this brand a bit and I see totally conflicting reviews as to whether their tanners get super dark or not dark at all, maybe it depends on what each person considers dark. They don't seem to have any gradual buildup type products though, it's all apply once and it lasts for 1-3 weeks depending on the formula. From the sound of it, not really what you are aiming for. :smileyhappy:

starletta8

(0) Hearts

This is probably the slowest self-tanner ever, but it's an awesome moisturizer!  Maybe after a few more applications, I'll see something- but it's awesome for being a lotion.

rikkie

(0) Hearts

I think I might pick up a tube of this if I ever actually make an order before it goes out of stock, ha ha. The only thing I am not loving about being the tiniest shade off-white this summer is that I don't blend in with my scars anymore, I'm not used to being able to see them, oops!

starletta8

Update: If you're super pale, you'll probably love the Sephora Moisturizing Bronzing Body Lotion. Especially at its sale price of $5!!!!!

In 2 days, I've found it quite similar to the Nivea in terms of building a very gradual tan. I think this might be close to goof-proof, which is what I wanted. People looking for a deep tan overnight, run away from this one.

Next up on the trial list- probably later this month- the Kate Somerville tan towelettes.

starletta8

Update: still looking for a product, will be looking at all of the ones on this thread.  After 4 nights, I finally saw a difference in very bright lights.

rikkie

(0) Hearts

That is VERY gradual! There's a code for St. Tropez Gradual tan but it's in medium/dark, too bad they don't give different options. I wonder if you mixed it with the far too light Nivea it would still work properly, or applied it with a very light hand. Probably best to stick to the right shade and not mess around with it though, even if it is free! How has the test patch of Sephora lotion looked?

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I'm ok with the very gradual, although I hate the daily drying time!

I need to make the test patch bigger....

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Good luck! :smileyhappy:

carrierose

I use St. Tropez mousse but IMO it is not a gradual, slight change.  I did it last night for the first time in over a month, and I stop and gawk every time I look in a mirror because I look so much darker.  In a good way, but definitely darker!

DTalksAll

they have 3 different mousses, are you using the "Everyday Gradual Tan Mousse" I'm pale & need at least 3 applications before I start to really see some color.  

carrierose

(0) Hearts

No, I clarified below probably the same time you posted this :smileyhappy:

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Ooh, that's good information. I want super gradual so that people don't stare at work because I spend most daylight hours in the office and obviously not in the sun!

carrierose

I just realized this may have been miseading...I have the Self-Tan Bronzing Mousse, not the gradual one.  I'm not sure how subtle the gradual one is!  Sorry for any confusion!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 41 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • carrierose
    • dianabt
    • melissabt
    • beautylovingirl
    • miabt