StraightRhodes

Best Makeup Setting Products/Techniques?

What products or techniques do you swear by the set your makeup for a long, hot, and humid day?

mafan

Re: Best Makeup Setting Products/Techniques?

(0) Hearts

What eye primer are you using?  I used Urban Decay's Primer Potion with my Aqualillies shadows and was amazed at how badly it creased last time because I rarely have trouble with creasing.  I've worn the same shadow in the water and it looked great with Lorac's primer.  It's very hot/humid today and I'm hoping to get out, and I've got Lorac's primer on today so I'm hoping for better results.

You might consider checking out different eye primers if you haven't already.

clarks18

(0) Hearts

Instead of using a big fluffy brush to apply my setting powder I use a puff.  I get mine for $2 at a local drugstore.  They are just your traditional looking makeup puffs.  I feel like pressing my powder on really helps it stay matte longer and really adhere to my concealer or foundation better.  I also use the Tarte Smooth Operator powder which is amazing.  It really helps keep my t-zone less oily.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@StraightRhodes- What powder foundation are you using?

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

I use bareMinerals in the winter/fall but I don't use it in the summer or spring. I use a liquid foundation.

jennypenny1995

Because I use a powder formula of foundation, I don't set my foundation at all anymore.  I use Lancome's Dual Finish Foundation and ADORE how it saves me time and lasts all day--even through the Southern heat!

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

I have a powder formula foundation as well but I don't like to use it in summer/spring because it's kinda heavy. I feel like it's not a very summery look. Does the Lancome foundation give you this issue?

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Nope!  You can apply it with a dry sponge for a sheer effect or with a damp one for buildable coverage.  Does not feel heavy at all.  Never cakes, never settles into lines.

laurabt

Hi StraightRhodes, I always make sure to use a good primer and setting powder as well as a setting spray (I also like MUFE's Mist & Fix).  If it's hot & humid where you are, I would suggest mattifying products to help keep the shine away.  :smileyhappy: -Laura

Sephora Collection Anti-Shine Foundation Primer

SC Anti-Shine Foundation Primer.jpg

Laura Mercier Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder - Shine Control

Laura Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder - Shine Control.jpg

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

I do use a primer, as well as blotting papers, and those do help. I think my main issue is the eye area, even with an eye primer.

krunce

(0) Hearts

I've started using an eye setting powder once I've finished my look and used all of my other setting techniques for the face (powder and UD setting spray):
I started using Laura Mercier's Secret Brightening Powder and then I kinda tug down my eyes for about a minute until it sets. It stops stuff from settling into creases, although things settle in a bit more if I'm hot and sweating. But nothing drips, that's for sure. I haven't tested it in North Carolina though :s Will let you know!

swfupload_1887127912495069844.jpg

Arlandria88

I really like the Mist & Fix setting spray from Make Up Forever. It really works to keep makeup looking fresh and in place. It also seems to help with oil control. The only negative---- if I use it everyday it seems to stop working so I save it for days that are especially important or for days that I know are going to be extra long or extremely hot/humid.

StraightRhodes

It's odd the way it seems to stop working if you use it too often, but I will look into that product. I've had good luck with MUFE products.

Arlandria88

(0) Hearts

It might just be me. Maybe you'll find that it works for you every day. This would just be something to keep in mind if after a while you find it less effective. In that case just take a break now and again. Also--- I see in your new comment above that you mention the eye area being an issue. This spray is great for that because you spray the entire face. Close your eyes, just don't SQUEEZE them shut or non-waterproof mascara can run a little bit. This only happens to me if my mascara isn't waterproof or water resistant and only if I squeeze my eyes tight which causes my top lashes to touch the skin under my eyes. Otherwise it's fine and really helps all eye makeup hold once the spray dries down.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • jennypenny1995
    • mafan
    • beautylovingirl
    • StraightRhodes
    • clarks18
    • krunce