ran8

Best Lighting for Makeup Application

(0) Hearts

Just curious about opinions as to which lighting is the best for applying makeup.  Any preferences?

Incandescent?  CFL?  LED?  Fluorescent?  Etc?  The make up mirrors? 

robintexas

Re: Best Lighting for Makeup Application

(0) Hearts

I mentioned it before, but I really like the beauty beam. It's a great addition to my regular lighting and let's me highlight areas where I really need light. It fits right on the brush and shines exactly where I need to see. It won't replace main lighting, but gives just that little extra to make sure everything's even and straight. It's really a detail tool more than anything. 

robintexas

(0) Hearts

Have you guys heard of the Beauty Beam?

bthe1

(0) Hearts

I had exact same question and researched many.  And I bought the light bulb that offers sunshine.

I don't know where this light bulb falls under, but I bought it from ACE. One bulb doesn't offer different lighting. But that light bulb series offered Day light: which is blueish, and I found it is difficult to do my make up, because I looked so pale. So I went to Sunshine: which is bright white light. Of course these lighting would not make you look pretty like some other yellowish lightings- which makes you look warm and glowy under the light but you could do over done your make up under those light. But with Sunshine setting light, it would make more natural when you are out side.

I wanted separate vanity, but since I didn't want complicate work or money to do so, I just replaced my bathroom (4 light bulbs) to Sunshine setting(less blue than Daylight).

Nowadays, I hear many compliments that my make-ups looks good and natural.

amandale

(0) Hearts

This is what I use: 
http://www.amazon.com/Jerdon-JGL9W-Magnification-Tri-fold-Lighted/dp/B0000AFUT3

It's a lighted mirror that you can change settings for according to different times of day, environment, etc.
I started using it because the weather in my town can be kind of bi polar (sunny one hour, and extremely rainy the next.)
I've been using it for a good 2 or 3 years, and I really like it. Whenever I check my makeup in the car on the way to school, my makeup looks great - I don't have any complaints.

katie723

(0) Hearts

I trust natural lighting :smileyhappy: My mirror is right next to my window and I do my makeup there every morning. I used to think that I could get away with doing my makeup using the bathroom fluorescent lights (since I work in an office anyway... the lighting will be the same), but then I realized... what if I'm outside talking to someone? Will my makeup look different in natural light? I'd rather trust the natural light and make sure my foundation is blended as well as my concealer :smileyhappy:

pocketvenus

(0) Hearts

I always use natural light when applying makeup in the morning. That's one thing I wish Sephora could have as I find their lighting isn't the greatest. Something will look great in the store and when I come home to my sunny window, I see that the colour is not what I thought it was.

namma

I think natural lighting is the best for applying make up. I originally used a mirror with lighting that you cold change the settings for such as home, office, day, night and I found it didnt always make my makeup look natural. Natural lighting I think is the best way to go if you can because its what most lighting is based off of. Though there are different lights in evey place you go my make up seems to look its best in most situations when I apply it using natural light. That being said  it is a personal opinoin and everyone has there own way of doing things and just because i like it this way does not mean everyone will.

brookie673

I would use lights the same or a little bit brighter than the ones they will have wherever you're going. If I'm going to school, I use my bright bathroom lights because the school lights are fairly bright. If I was going to be outside I'd apply it near a window with a weaker light.

novemberjuliet

i have a really awesome vintage vanity with a fold down mirror..I have mine right in front of the window! I absolutely must do my makeup with natural lighting. For me...it works the best! Especially when I'm detailing, like cleaning up my brows. I've never tried a light up mirror but I've been meaning to get one. My process takes so long I hate standing up in the bathroom to do it all. :smileyhappy:

ran8

I do enjoy application in a more natural light setting.  This is the first bathroom I've had that privilege.  And like others have said, it's wonderful for application.

LEDs and CFLs are great for the areas that need brightness.  For makeup though, I prefer a softer light.  Something about the CFLs that bothers me when applying on makeup.  I've been replacing the bulbs on my side with incandescent.  It's easier on the eyes and gives me a good idea that I am applying properly.  I know it's not bill friendly but the LED bulbs make up for it in the kitchen (very bright and who wants to change those frequently anyway?).

The lighted vanity mirrors with all the different shade options are interesting.  I've always wondered if they were effective or just a trend for women in the past.  Quite a few relatives that had them around in the 80s and 90s (although the mirrors themselves could have been older). 

prettyinpa

I have a east facing window in the bathroom and incandescent lighting in there, with 2 different fixtures. My makeup looks different depending on if I am near the window, or have 1 or both lights on!  I generally do my makeup at the sink which has 1 light, then turn on the other light and go to the window if I have time, by checking under all the different conditions, I can pretty well get it right. I have found that using both lights more approximates the window light, only one light is too dark and my makeup ends up heavy handed. I also have a lighted makeup mirror which has a couple of different light settings, but none of them approximate daylight.

Manda

(0) Hearts

Very interesting question.  I would say either natural or fluorescent.  Mainly natural though.

pinkyy13

(0) Hearts

Interesting....

I don't really know the perfect lighting or mirror is but I'm also curious to see what people are going to say about this. 

I have fluorescent lighting and I've noticed a weird thing.....I apply my makeup just how I like it...but then if I go look in a more natural light or a room with different type of lighting my makeup looks much lighter than it does in my bathroom where I have the florescent lighting. Its really weird. So when I apply my makeup in my bathroom I use a slightly heavier hand to compensate. I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

katie1724

That's so funny -- I think I have the opposite problem! My bathroom gets a lot of natural light, and so if I have the overhead light on, it looks lighter than when I flick the light off (after which sometimes I'm like, "Oookay, little heavy-handed there with the blush..." and have to dab it off!). I think it's also best to match foundation / look at coverage in natural light, too -- it always makes mistakes more apparent.

: )

Stanluca

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Natural light is best when applying makeup.  But if that's not available, you want to stay away from CFL's, flourescent or incadescent light bulbs.  Your best bet nowadays are LED's with tunable color temperatures.  The reason why your makeup looks different is because you apply the makeup under different lighting than where you go.  For example, if you use flourescent lighting, the light is very bright and harsh.  It would be perfect if you were going to a sports stadium when the lighting is similar.  But if you go out to a candlelight dinner, of course your makeup is going to look very different.  Modern LED's have the option for you to choose from tungsten all the way to daylight so you can adjust for the occassion.  Look for advanced LED makeup lights with tunable color temperatures and adjust the temperature to fit your occassion then you should be fine.  You should be able to get a decent one for less than $200. 

UPDATE:  Just found this lamp www.bellelumiere.com.  It might fit your needs.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • amandale
    • prettyinpa
    • novemberjuliet
    • pocketvenus
    • pinkyy13