DTalksAll

Ardency Inn Foundation Mixing

Last week while scrambling to find some last minute items for my friend's wedding I of course just had to stop in Sephora. I wore no makeup with the intention of trying the color IQ out again. & I think I finally got a successful match! I'm 1Y06. Which has way more foundations available than some of my other matches. :smileytongue: 

So the Cast Member grabbed some Dior, and Ardency Inn to see what looked best on me. For some reason, the Dior Powder which I own, my color IQ says I'm a 32 even though I'm a 20. 32 is way tooooo dark. But in the liquid my color IQ says I'm a 20. I don't get it, it's the same brand, same shades, but different numbers. 

Anyways, I really liked the way the Ardency Inn matched my face & neck, so she went on to apply it to my whole face. BUT... she didn't mix it with anything. I was a little confused, and she said you didn't have to mix it with a moisturizer. Of course when I got home & read up on it says "Not to use ALONE" and it did feel a bit heavy on me. But I really liked the color match so I brought it with me on my trip. It did feel too heavy on my face without being mixed. 

Now what do I mix it with? I know it says water based moisturizers, but I'm assuming some work better than others. All my morning moisturizers have SPF in them, and are a little too thick to be mixing foundation with. 

So do I put on moisturizer with SPF, primer & then mix with moisturizer? This seems like a lot of steps. 

So far I've tried:

~ Clarins Flash Balm- I know it's a primer, but I think they like each other. Only thing is I'm using way more of it then I used to as a primer. And it's a little expensive to be using as a foundation medium. Would I still put primer on underneath? 

~ Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer- It's OK if I want sheer coverage, but again... using way too much primer. 

~ OH Sheer Transformation - Decent, but not loving the finish

~ PTR Retinol Fusion AM - just for kicks, too thick. :smileywink: 

If you've tried the foundation, what have you mixed it with? 

joeanne

Re: Ardency Inn Foundation Mixing

(0) Hearts

I know you are supposed to use a water based moisturizer with the Ardency Inn, but I used it with my Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer and love the results. I don't use any additional primer when I mix the two together. I moisturize first, then mix the primer and foundation.  I even pre-mixed some in a little jar to use all week long and the consistency was fine.

I don't know why the Sephora cast member would use it full strength on your face. It clearly states that it's to be mixed with moisturizer. Since it works best with water based moisturizers, I don't see why you couldn't thin it out with water and use it that way after you apply moisturizer and primer.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

oooo I like the little jar idea. Yeah I tried it with Veil & didn't like the coverage & I was using way too much of the primer to cover my whole face. 

mafan

The "How to Use" tab of the product says to mix with slightly more than your usual amount of moisturizer.  So I would think you could just use your daily moisturizer and skip the other steps.

It also very explicitly says:

"Precautions:
-Americana Custom Coverage Concentrate is not intended to be used alone on bare skin or mixed with active treatment products containing glycol or salicylic acid.
-Shake well before use."

Clearly the person at the store cannot read instructions.

Now I want to try this out.  I think I will get a sample next time I'm in the store.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

So I just tried mixing it with a facial mist (water based) and PTR oil-less oil. 

Neither of them are my WOW product. The oil was difficult to apply, and the facial mist didn't give the best coverage. 

rdesigns

Thank you for trying this!  :smileyhappy:  I guess I will try it with the Kate Somerville and see how that works out.

rdesigns

[ Edited ]

I was digging through my skincare product disaster (lol), and I realized that I could probably use a tiny bit of my Kate Somerville Quench Oil Free Hydrating Face Serum with this if the distilled water does not work well.  I am going to go ahead and order the Ardency now :smileyhappy:

http://www.sephora.com/quench-oil-free-hydrating-face-serum-P302936?skuId=1395037

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

That might work! 

carolang

(0) Hearts

Hmm I wonder if it would mix nicely with a lightweight gel moisturizer like the Clinique one (last I checked it's a perk right now). I think the dramatically different gel has a beautiful velvety texture and would imagine it would blend well and be a nice medium aside from I'm assuming products that are sold as mixing mediums (does Ardency Inn sell one?). 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I have the pink clinique gel from a point perk & I'm not a huge fan of clinique, so this might be the perfect excuse to use it up. It is water based, so it might work well. 

drrragon

(0) Hearts

I was thinking of getting a Josie Maran Argan oil or maybe a Tarte Maracuja Oil to try mixing with my KVD liquid foundation for the dry winter months (currently I'm using Clinique DDM since it's a nice thin consistency and I need to use up that sample).  I remember you really liked your PTR oil-less oil, maybe you could mix a few drops of that with the Ardency Inn?

I reeeaaally want to try the Ardency Inn foundation too, but none of my local sephoras carry it!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I feel like an oil/oil-less oil might be too greasy to mix with, no? IDK... I need to play & don't have time to :smileysad: 

rdesigns

I was just about to order this foundation, and then I saw your post...  Since I have somewhat oily skin, I was planning on mixing it with a little bit of distilled water just to thin it out.  Have you tried this?  I am very curious about what they think it should be mixed with :-)

DTalksAll

No, I have not tried that, & I wonder how that would work. Maybe I'll try it with a facial mist later... try mixing it with a facial mist & try applying is to a damp face & then spraying over it to blend? 

I did like the way it blended with a damp beauty blender sponge & a it worked will with a foundation brush too. 

rdesigns

(0) Hearts

If you get a chance to try it, could you please post about your results?   It is good to know that it works well with a damp beauty blender sponge :smileywink:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I will. Did you read somewhere you can mix it with water, or is this something you came up with? 

rdesigns

(0) Hearts

I just came up with it.  I use distilled water quite a bit, so I thought it might work?  I am still curious as to what the manufacturer would suggest using with it?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • annonymous1
    • drrragon
    • mafan
    • joeanne
    • rdesigns