chupi

Anyone into Pantone's color of year?

Does anyone buy into this? I bought the coral lipstick two years ago (great color for Summer and I already wear a lot of emerald. But I can't get into Radiant Orchid. Pastels do not look good on my skin tone. Those Pantone sets are always in the sale section, I wonder if they aren't selling well?

Also, I wish brands would get on board with Pantone. I'm sure it's expensive to get into cahoots with them, but matching foundations would be so easy if they had a Patone color number on the packaging!

andyhtrieu

Re: Anyone into Pantone's color of year?

(0) Hearts

This "radiant orchid" color is actually a very pretty color and more versatile. It's basically just a purple pink. you can wear it on your eyes, lips, or cheeks!  I can't imagine anyone wearing emerald lipstick or blush haha. 

You can find more "radiant orchid" colored products at target or your drugstore. The new loreal infallible eyeshadow in burst into bloom is perfect or covergirl lipstick in divine

spacesuit

(0) Hearts

It's only February and I'm already sick of reading the words "color of the year" and especially "radiant orchid". I don't know what's different, I wasn't this annoyed with the last two colors of the year (emerald in 2013 and tangerine in 2012 if I remember right). Maybe it's because makeup blogs keep bringing it up each time they review a purplish-pink lipstick or blush, which there are already plenty of.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

I'm fine with pantone color of the year because everyone have a color they like, a color that they wish more companies would made products out of but don't. I think, or maybe that's just me. My favorite eyeshadow color is orange but there weren't a lot of orange options until Tangerine became the color of the year. I was happy cuz there is more choice in my favorite color. I don't care for purple but one of my friend LOVES purple, so I'm sure she's happy that she now have more options to choose from.

I'm also fine with it going on sale cuz then I have an incentive to wait when I'm on no-buy and it's full priced. =P

sparklekai

(0) Hearts

i don't really care about the color of the year!  i care about what i like!  i happen to like purple eye make up (looks good with my hazel eyes!!!) and i also like a purple (ish) lip...not totally purple but a pinky purple...

kittichick

(0) Hearts

Not even a little.

jenjendoitagain

"The Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute and the visionary behind Pantone's Color of the Year, Leatrice Eiseman, explains how 2014's Color of the year, Radaint Orchid, was chosen for a two-part interview held by custom printing company, Signazon.com:

"I look for ascending color trends, colors that are being used in broader ways and broader context than before...In this case, Radiant Orchid descends from the purple family, which is kind of a magical color that denotes creativity and innovation. Purple is just that kind of a complex, interesting, attracting kind of color...[The] back-story to purple is that it inspires confidence in your creativity, and we're living in a world where that kind of creative innovation is greatly admired. In the world of color, purple is an attention-getter, and it has a meaning. It speaks to people, and we felt that it was time for the purple family to be celebrated. That's why we chose the particular shade called Radiant Orchid." "

Personally, the color purple does not make me want to bust out some creativity. This color does not speak to me, as they so suggested it would.

Screen-Shot-2013-12-06-at-9.43.31-AM.png

I very seldom wear anything purple, including clothes and makeup. I wont be interested in this color this year.

I did enjoy the Emerald last year, I can rock that. Purple...excuse me, Radiant Orchid, I can not.

Alygal90

(0) Hearts

I liked the emerald color from last year - only color I've liked so far. I only bought an eyeliner, though - it went really well with my brown eyes.

I hate the radiant orchid. Too bright for my taste.

I, too, am always seeing the sets on sale at my Sephora - they just got rid of the last ones from last year after they had been sitting there for months.

itscarin

So glad you asked if anyone buys into the pantone color of the year because I think it's totally irrelevant.  Pantone is a very niche color design company and the idea that average people give a $#*@ about what Pantone thinks the color of the year is is ridiculous.  Pantone color of the years is just a gimmick for designers so they can have something to sell to clients.  "Oh, Orchid is very hot right now.  You simply must get this couch custom upholstered in this Orchid color."  Oooooookay. 

I think the Pantone sets go in the sale bin because they're made by Sephora.  I have a couple of Sephora products so I can't say I hate Sephora's line entirely, but their eye shadows are always the worst formulas.  Anyway, trends come and go.  You just have to do you -- if Orchid fits into that equation, great; if not, no big loss.

HelloCoffee

(0) Hearts

Exactly!  Even though I love the color, I think it's silly to have a country thinking it's the color of the year....it is a gimmick.  I like orchid.....I will wear it next year, even when it is not "color of the year" anymore, lol. I died about the upholstered couch, lol!  

wingatprsct

Exactly! I always had it pegged as a gimmick too. I do know that they take into account the mood of the nation (or world). For instance, in 2009 after the 2008 financial fallout, they choose a bright warm yellow. Not that we were cheerful, but as a nation we needed cheering up (to jump start our economy). Now what does orchid say about our mood now? I don't know. Any ideas?

annypoo

(0) Hearts

I like it for nail polish and clothes, possibly eye shadow too. But I personally wouldn't wear it for lips. I can't pull off a color like that. 

mafan

The orchid is the first color I can see myself wearing.  I think it's darker than what I would consider a pastel, and the color works with my coloring.  I would at least consider it for eyes or lips (and definitely for nail polish).

While I like the cobalt blue candidate better, what's even better about it being color of the year is I can wear it in clothes.  I am just not one to wear coral or emerald very much.  That doesn't mean that I need it in every layer of my clothing or think it should be the latest color for wedding dresses!

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

Radiant Orchid is just not gonna go with my red hair! I bought one or two coral pieces (it's still a little bright for me, but I tone it down) and nothing in the emerald collection. I was excited when I saw last year's color was emerald but the color was flat and too vibrant. I'll enjoy looking at all the pretty looks in Radiant Orchid and my pocketbook will heave a sigh of relief!

chupi

I think the Emerald was kind of a fail. It works on eyes, but you can't sell the blush or lipstick. Ooooh, I wish green lipstick was acceptable. I'm surprised they didn't go with Oxblood last year.

kittichick

(0) Hearts

I agree about the Oxblood. Super trendy.

wingatprsct

I agree. I think as far as makeup goes, a richer more jewel-tone emerald would have been better.  But when Pantone chooses these colors, it is also for interior decorating where the lighter emerald would be a more contemporary color.

chupi

Ah, ok! Thanks for the info!

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

I actually do enjoy this year's color, I'm looking forward to the blushes and lippies

And I agree, foundation would be so much easier to match with the numbers on the back!

ragdoll4mom

I love the radiant orchid!  Can't wait for the lipstick to come back in stock. 

HelloCoffee

(0) Hearts

I want it too, but want to swatch it first....I have a color that I feel may be similar.  Also, there aren't many online swatches or reviews of to yet, either.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • nikki
    • itscarin
    • chupi
    • malday
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan