MintShake

Am I the only one who hate neutral eyeshadows?

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if I hate them, but I find them very dull and boring. I mean, of all the colors out there, why go for neutral? It kinda defeats the purpose of eyeshadow and other colors. I mean, what's so great about beige, browns and taupes? Makeup is suppose to be fun, bright, funky, not invincible. I see women spawn over neutral browns and golds.....I mean it's so dull, why not go for lime green, hot pink, neon purples or something?

ap77

Re: Am I the only one who hate neutral eyeshadows?

(0) Hearts

i hate neutrals too.  i used to model and so often photographers would request natural makeup.  i don't think i look good in natural makeup, i don't know why they would think that, my portfolio certainly didn't show natural makeup.  my favorite eyeshadow palettes are the sugarpill ones.  i was hesitant at first but they are awesome, great quality and even the lime green is totally wearable :smileyhappy:

melde

Probably not! But I love them!

I love neutral eye shadows because I like bold lip colors, and wearing both at once is not office appropriate (unless you work at Drag Queens Unlimited or something, haha). :smileyhappy:

makeupobesessed

I do like neutral eyeshadows a lot.  They are definitely what Im more comfortable with applying and it is more appropriate at work for me to wear a neutral shadow than a bright.  I do use the neutrals as a pair up with another brighter color though, and Im getting more comfortable with applying brights that way.  

Lately Ive been watching more youtube tutorials and trying to use just colors as a work shadow, or a smokey eye for going out.  Im definitely jealous when I go into Sephora and the makeup artist has on funky, wow makeup.  I know that even if I could do my makeup that way and have it look good, Id still not feel comfortable wearing it.  Lime green is not my color ;-)

LolaVal

I love neutral colors and brights.  However, I work in a field that is very conservative and you are judged both by your clients and your business associates by how polish and serious you look that wearing bold colors at work is out of the question.  I think that I've only worn red lipstick twice in my five years of working.  I do love how you can create depth to your eyes with neutrals without looking too made-up.  Since I can't wear fun colors during the work week, I indulge in pops of brights on the weekends!

sephoralovex

[ Edited ]

Defiantly a personal preference. I personally love both neutral and color. I'm not afraid to wear color... hey life's too short to hold back. 

I work with color but always make sure it's done great. So not clashing with other colors on my face or outfit. Make it noticeable but not like crazy to the point where people are like what the heck did she just do.

I really enjoy doing purple or blue smokey eyes. Once in a while i'll use green eyeshadow... or sometimes if i want to go with a neutral look i will add a pencil liner that is teal with bronze eyeshadow.

beautylovingirl

I think it's a personal preference I don't think I would want to walk into my office to speak to a room full of doctors and have on lime green eye shawdow. It may be different if it's a big occasion or some event that was wild and crazy fun but if it's everyday business hours you might be getting some strange looks.

starletta8

I agree it's an age thing- as well as a venue thing.  In a conservative office, I tone things way down (I felt like a rulebreaker today with cobalt mascara and light green shadow!).  On the weekends, I like to play.

For me, it's very much a context thing- I never know what superior could be wandering my way during the day, so I like to dress as if I have a meeting at any moment. Makeup included.

drrragon

agree with marionberry that part of it is an age thing.  When your eyelids gets droopy and wrinkly, you have to choose your colors and application technique wisely (when going out in public, anyway).  Also, many people work in office environments with dress codes, for which neutrals are ok but fun stuff might not be.  And lots of people use makeup to create a "no makeup look", just to enhance their natural selves, for which neutrals are the best choice.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on your preferences and what looks best with your skin tone and eye color. My eyes are a light blue; there is already enough brightness / color in that area, and wearing vivid green (or any vivid shade) wouldn't really suit, particularly for work. Neutrals (my favorites are in the gold-taupe family, greys, browns and bronzes) or subtle violet shades are perfect for not overwhelming with color yet still enhancing the eye color. I also work in an office where it wouldn't really do to wear vividly pigmented shadow (though some more artistic environments encourage this, I don't think I could get away with it!). :smileyhappy:

marionberry

[ Edited ]

When I was younger I used to play around with different colors.

It doesn't interest me anymore, personally. I do think it might be an age thing (I'm now 35). Because now, honestly, I want my makeup to not look  like I'm wearing any makeup. Me, just slightly enhanced :smileywink:

Also, I don't find neutrals boring at all. On the contrary the shades can be quite rich and beautiful (esp. Bobbi Brown)

rtista

I agree with you!  I can't make myself buy the Naked 1 and 2 for that very reason.  Why do I need 24 neutral shadows when I can buy one drugstore neutral palette for those days when I just want to keep it simple?  When I was in high school, people always used to say that pink and brown together make hazel eyes pop, so that's what I wore all the time.  Though I just never really felt that it worked on me very well, and then I discovered plums and purples, and greys, and greens, and I feel like those really pop my eye color more and work better with my skin tone.  I dunno, even if I wear neutral shadows, I'm probably going to at least wear plum eyeshadow and mascara.  :smileywink:

MintShake

(0) Hearts

Exactly, I mean I hated the Naked 2 palette (that's the one I bought), because the colors looked similar and were too light for my skin tone. 

mafan

(0) Hearts

I've tried some colors and they look terrible on me.  Then again, I'm 49 years old and have fairly light skin and blue eyes.  I want something to enhance my eyes and my overall look, not something to attract attention.  Some colors look great on others, but not on me.  I do think that women with darker skin tones or younger in age can carry off things that just don't look good on me.

Then again, some people only like traditional nail colors.  Me, I've got bright blue (Nails, Inc "Baker Street") nails today.  They match what I'm wearing perfectly.  If I wore that blue on my eyes it just wouldn't work.

I think there are a nice range of neutral colors and they really can give me different looks.  About the most I can do with color is some purple, but really I'm better with plumish taupes at most.

MintShake

(0) Hearts

That's a good point about the age, but I feel that neutral colors are too default

arielaaaaaaaa

I would rather wear neutral and browns. I used to be really into bright eyeshawdows but i just stopped loving them on me after a while. I love wearing a gorgeous brown and alittle eyeliner. I'd rather have a bold lip than a glam eye. 

kissXmakeup

I would go for lime green if it matched with everything! Or even if people wouldn't think I looked crazy wearing bright colors everyday. I like neutrals because I can wear them with anything. &  my job is approving of it. Bright eyeshadow colors at certain jobs just don't fly :smileytongue:

kenny

While I do love bold colors, neutrals just pop much better off my eye color (golden brown). For some reason my eyes can look rather dull when paired with a bright color. Not only that, but I've always been more of a bold lip kind of girl, so neutrals tend to work better

mkupgk

I love neutrals, especially gold :smileywink:

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

See, I'm opposite! I don't find neutrals boring at all (gold, copper, bronze, champagne, taupe etc). Neutrals can be bright (gold, copper) or smokey (darker browns) and play up my eyes just as well as brights and smokeys do. I love my bright and smokey colors as well, but since I like bright lipcolors I like to balance out my look by wearing neutral shadow. I can wear whatever colors I want because my job allows it, but some people aren't allowed to wear statement colors to their jobs. Plus, sometimes I feel that the brighter the color, the younger people think I am. When I wore a bright emerald green some new people that I just met thought I was 18, and were beyond shocked/made bets with other people to guess my age (I'm 24). Dont get me wrong, I love it when people think I look younger, god knows how much time and money I spend taking care of my skin, but in certain places like work, I dont want people to think that I'm some 18 year old kid because I dont feel like they take me as seriously.

bananachoox3

I love my neutrals but I like to add a pop of color here and there once in a while especially during the spring and summer time. Plus   I don't think walking into work with my scrubs on and with lime green eye shadow is the perfect match.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 58 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • ap77
    • sephoramusthave
    • sephoralovex