HookedOnBeauty2

Alex drawers....photos please :)

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have been reading all the threads on how everyone stores their over abundance of makeup and skin care :smileyhappy:

I see a lot of the ladies use the Alex 9 Drawer from Ikea. I searched their site however I didn't see any pictures of the drawers open.

Do you use smaller containers inside each drawer for lipsticks,eyeshadow, foundation etc? How do you organize inside the drawers?

I also saw an Alex on wheels with 6 drawers. Anyone have that one?

I would love to see pictures of the inside of your drawers if you're willing to share.

EDIT: I don't know of any drawers similar to Alex, so if you have other brands please share.

Catcher22

Re: Alex drawers....photos please :)

I've seen some beauty bloggers use this desk for storage: http://www.target.com/p/threshold-basic-desk/-/A-14517908#prodSlot=medium_1_2    

I've been using clear shoe boxes to store my makeup in.  I got the idea from this blog: http://emilymaynard.com/blog/makeup-organizers/

But I plan on purchasing the desk and some muji drawers for my makeup when I move next month. http://www.muji.us/store/storage/acrylic-cases/acrylic-case-5-drawers.html

newandaddicted

(0) Hearts

Why don't they offer these drawers in a variety of colors?  I would snap them up in a heartbeat!  I'd love a teal, or real looking dark wood.  Or maybe a coral.  I don't want to buy something then have to paint it.  I'm not crafty like that.

ladymeag

They're generally in the office area of the three IKEAs I've been in, my guess is that they don't do a lot of color for offices, expecting you to bring in color with funky chairs or wall art. A few of the more utilitarian items only come in white or black like this. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I have the 5 drawer (they have it online item number 101.928.24 ) 

I use the custom interlocking dividers from container store & the clear bins from Bed Bath & Beyond that are in the kitchen section (20% off coupons :smileytongue: )

upload_6027449362959382350.jpg

& Here's what my vanity looks like, I'll try to take better pics of the inside drawers tomorrow

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.jpg

ilovebears

If you have a Daiso near where you live, my local store also has packs of those white dividers for $1.50.  (The number of pieces in each pack varies depending on how tall the divider is.  So if you want really tiny/short dividers for a more shallow drawer, one pack would have more strips than if you want taller ones for a deeper drawer.)  You cut the pieces to be the right length to fit your drawer.  I use them in my desk drawer for office/school supplies, but never thought to use them to organize my makeup! :smileyhappy:

eadelaide1

[ Edited ]

I'm currently using my 9-drawer Alex for nail polish storage. Since the bottles fit well, the only extra organizers I use are the sturdy cardboard gift boxes from sets I've bought and repurposed. I want to move my cosmetics over and invest in clear  trays to keep it nice and neat though. I agree that you would definitely need some sort of organization system in the actual drawers. I know Ikea also has a lot of clear trays that are perfect for organizing the drawers.

spoiledbrat

Killa that blows beyond words.  Apothecary chests do not usually last long in a shop b/c they are so cool. I love them and have several in various rooms. They are so wonderful.  Send me sketch and approximate size of what you want and I will keep my eyes peeled for you!  I will even deliver it to you just to see your bee-you-tee-full face in person! xo

eadelaide1

[ Edited ]

Off topic, but it's good to see you back SpoiledBrat! I hope you got your computer problems all worked out. It would be really terrific if you could please update us on our TSB here:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Insider/Anyone-interested-in-another-traveling-box/m-p/125421... I know the remaining ladies in the TSB have been hoping to receive the box :smileyhappy:

spoiledbrat

I use a 27 drawer antique apothecary chest. Some of the drawers have built in dividers and others I use a drawer for each product type.  What I love most is that I have never seen another one exactly like it.

killahbabe

Jonn, I've been looking for an apothecary cabinet for the exact same purpose for the past 3 years! I found one GORGEOUS blue based chippy painted one and drove 3 hours to go buy it... only to have it sold before I got there. I've never been so disappointed about anything in my life. :smileysad:

GlamMomAngel

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

HookedOnBeauty2

(0) Hearts

I didn't see the Alex 5 drawer on Ikeas site. Where did you get yours?

GlamMomAngel

(0) Hearts

i got it in an ikea store

GlamMomAngel

(0) Hearts

told u they were messy lol

roxystar4

I have the alex nine drawer and I def need organizers inside my drawers (i have 3 acrylic lipstick holders for lipsticks) and other storage organizers I bought were at TJmaxx. I found a set of different sized mini acrylic containers for $12.99 and I put my blush, foundation ,etc in them. The picture below is a Tjmaxx organizer that I hold some of my setting powders in.

photo-230.JPG

Im not sure if I'll buy another nine drawer (I need more makeup storage)… but I think buying two six drawers is a good idea - minus the wheels. and then stack them on top of each other.

41N8njtwjDL._SY355_.jpg

HookedOnBeauty2

I was looking at the 6 drawer but I wasn't sure I wanted wheels. Sounds like you don't have to attach the wheels if you don't want to.

lulupiee

(0) Hearts

You dont have to assemble the wheels 

GlamMomAngel

i have the alex 5 drawers.  ill post a pic.  beware: my drawers are a mess!! lol

sparklekai

i also found a blog shortly after i got mine that has lots of great ideas!  

if you google the frugal closet  the ikea alex storage there are lots of ideas!

eadelaide1

Wow! I envy that blogger's beautifully organized collection!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • eadelaide1
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • spoiledbrat
    • roxystar4
    • ladymeag