thenewjen

49-y.o. makeup beginner (!) where to start?

Hi, I'm finally exploring my feminine side, and I'm completely overwhelmed by the array of kinds of makeup (face and eye) and know literally nothing about any of them.  Please help!  Where do I begin?  I mainly want to smooth out my features and soften my face, then accent my eyes.

I'm Caucasian (mostly germanic) with light blue eyes.

Thank you!

thenewjen

Re: 49-y.o. makeup beginner (!) where to start?

(0) Hearts

Thanks everyone!

beautylovingirl, I think it's oily.

Cat588

(0) Hearts

I agree with sephoramusthave. Youtube tutorials are amazing at teaching techniques and a lot of them have montly favorites videos and give recomendations.

Another excellent Youtube makeup guru is Jaclyn Hill. She's a professional makeup artist and goes really in depth on her techniques. She uses a lot of Mac products though (she used to work there), but if there's a look you like, write down what Mac product she used and go to Sephora. They'll probably be able to find an equivalent in a different brand.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

Honestly, the best thing to do is get a natural looking foundation i recommend the HD Foundation by Make up forever, i'm very pale and foundation is awful it always ends up very orange on my face but this one is amazing i use 117. 

eye makeup is good but don't rush into it it will over whelm you, i also reccomend the Naked basics palette it has a really pretty champagne color thats good for all skin tones but still has the shimmer. 

if your eyes are sensative clinique has really good eye makeup, if not YSL babydoll lash is amazing. 

once you get into makeup its so addicting, its amazing to start to learn so many new ways to make your face look different with just the effect of makeup, goodluck! 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

What is your skin type oily, dry, combination??

mafan

(0) Hearts
mafan

[ Edited ]

You sound like me, except I was 48 (I'm 49 now :smileyhappy: ). I do highly recommend the $50 store makeover. If you do it, tell them what you're looking for and ask questions, because you can see techniques used on you, see brushes they use, etc. 

For skin, I think a tinted moisturizer or BB/CC cream might be a good thing to investigate. Or a sheer foundation. I find the BB cream easier to apply and it doesn't feel heavy on my face. 

For mascara, I would definitely check out the Lash Stash To Go set. A great deal and a chance to try different mascaras and wands for close to the price of many mascaras. 

For your eyes, I'd also look at Lorac's Unzipped palette. It has both matte and shimmer shadows giving you lots of options. I use every color (and I have light skin and blue eyes). I don't use much eyeliner. I am more likely to use the darkest color as a liner applied with a smudge brush. 

Search under Sephora Favorites. They have a great set of full sized products for $75 if you're wanting options for your whole face. You will find the lash stash there, too. Sorry, links are not working for me tonight. 

Good luck and have fun!

consolvo

[ Edited ]

sephoramusthave is right on target with her advice to test in stores before buying.

One thing I think you might want to check out as far as highlighting your eyes is the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette. It's matte and portable and might be perfect for starters. It's priced very reasonably, too! There are youtube videos based on this palette (and a zillion others) that could help you get just the look you want.

Hope this helps!

swfupload_4699236274358467023.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1458157

consolvo

@kstrat Jinx! :smileyhappy:

kstrat

for your face, I recommend you try out a BB or CC Cream.  They are essentially a foundation or tinted moisturizer with nice skincare benefits.  

http://www.sephora.com/face-makeup#!&pageSize=60&defaultPageSize=60&sortBy=-1&defaultSortBy=-1&categ...

The miracle skin transformer and Dr. jart are very popular, but I recommend looking into the reviews to find the right one for you.

I have the urban decay naked palette which I love to accent my eyes and its a neutral palette that is great for both day time and night time looks.  another great option is the naked basics palette, it's much cheaper and still offers a great shadow selection.

for mascara, try the too faced size queen mascara.  For an eyeliner look into the urban decay 24/7 linerpencil.  

kstrat

You can go into sephora and get a personalized full face makeover, check out this link for all the info. http://www.sephora.com/beautystudio#personalized-services

also, like sephoramusthave said, YouTube tutorials. My favorite are lisaeldridge and gossmakeupartist. They're great and really know their stuff!

also, beauty talk is amazing and your best friend. Everyone is so helpful and nice so feel free to ask questions for basically anything.

when you go into sephora or really any beauty store, ask someone with similar makeup to the style you like for help. From example, I prefer a more natural look so I would probably talk to the girl with a neutral eye instead of the girl Rocking a bright fuschia lip.

DeltaGammaGirl

Some of my absolute favorite items are the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer, Too Faced Sweethearts perfect flush blush, the naked palettes for eyes, and Make Up Forever finishing powder. For foundation and powder, I really like the Dior Skin forever liquid foundation because it is light and makes the skin feel extremely smooth and the Too Faced pressed powder. To apply the pressed powder, I recommend the Too Faced Pouf brush made with teddy bear hair. These products give a flawless look, and last forever! Hope this helps!

sephoramusthave

Watch some youtube tutorials---that's really where I learned how to do my makeup. I really love Sam and Nic from pixiwoo and Tanya Burr for makeup application and techniques. Makeup is very much a trial and error kind of thing----what might be my holy grail might be your worst enemy. Go to any makeup store that has testers and play around with some things---don't buy anything you haven't tried on your face because you'll just end of wasting money on something that doesn't work for you. Makeup counters are quite pushy, so places like Sephora and Ulta are really great for testing items. :smileyvery-happy:

thenewjen

(0) Hearts

ok thank you.  I knew there are a zillion youtube videos, but it helps a lot to have specific recommendations!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • annonymous1
    • consolvo
    • mafan
    • kstrat
    • beautylovingirl