Answer
oceanhugger
25yo Tomboy Looking to Try Makeup for the First Time - How to be a girl 101
I'm 25, and being a tomboy, I never wore makeup unless it was for an event and always had it done on me. In fact, I hate spending time on my face and avoid everything except for washing with a facial cleanser a couple of times a day. Having graduated college recently, I've come to realize that I need to start caring about how I look. I have no idea what primers, concealers, blush, gloss, liners, and shadows are, where they go, in what order, or what different brushes, sponges and pads are for. I'm a tanned Filipina with a history of acne and related scarring on my face. I have an oily face and really want to avoid breakouts, which have happened when makeup was put on my face in the past. I spent the day on this site and figured that my first step should be a concealer... so I just ordered the Benefit Concealaholic kit... which I am now worried about because i have darker skin. Since everything on here kept on telling me to prep, I also ordered the Benefit Primers kit because i read that some primers make people break out and figured that id have to do trial and error for this. Did I order the right things?! Please help! I wish they had a class for asocial geeks who have to try to grow up and dress like women!
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
jacqulenenoel
Answered

Since you have oily skin make sure you are cleaning your face AND moisturizing afterwards.  Just like Charlotte said, make sure the products you are using are oil free.  A good facial cleanser I like is St. Ives Green Tea Scrub.  It has tiny beads in the cleanser to help remove dirt, oil, and dry dead skin cells.  Plus it's super gentle on the skin and the green tea will help with reducing redness.  You can get this product just about anywhere (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.)  

Moisturizing is key for someone with oily skin. Most cleansers have ingredients in them that dry the skin out.  What our bodies do (mine included since I have/had extremely oily skin) is try and naturally balance itself out by producing excess oil to compensate for the dryness.  When you moisturize, you are in control and basically balancing your skin before your body produces these oils.  A great moisturizer I like is the Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer with SPF.  It's in the neighborhood of $10.00-$12.00 and can also be found practically anywhere.  It will last FOREVER and a dab will do ya!  You want to use just enough moisturizer to coat the skin but not drench your face with it, apply a thin layer.  Let it settle for a few minutes and if you still feel dry another thin layer.  2 layers should do just the trick.  The other great thing about this product is that is non-comedogenic.  Which basically means it will not cause or promote acne break outs.  

Then you can proceed to your makeup routine, whatever you choose to do!  Good Luck and I hope this info helps!

oceanhugger
Thank you so much! I needed this specific info!
jacqulenenoel
(0) Hearts
you're very welcome. i'm happy to help! if you ever have a question please feel free to ask!
Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • islandqt
    • xoxcharlottexox
    • jacqulenenoel
    • oceanhugger
    • makeupadvice