maryfairy

Your "perfect" nude lipstick

So how do you find the perfect nude lipstick? I don't mean neutral; I mean same stinking color as your skin "nude".

These celebrities NAIL the perfect nude lip, but how do they find the right lip color? Is it years of searching? The expertise of a makeup artist? Do they send lackeys running around sephora stores searching for the one specific color that works for them? Is it just foundation with some gloss over it? 

How do you find the right color?imgres-2.jpegimgres-1.jpegimgres.jpegurl.jpeg

islandqt

Re: Your "perfect" nude lipstick

I have spent hours researching good nudes for my skintone and let me tell you I still feel like the perfect nude for my skintone still has not been created yet! it is the one item I waste the most money on (nude lipstick). I have so many that just take too  much effort to make them work for me that I don't even bother.

I am dark-skinned and have very pigmented lips which are darker than my face which is a whole heap of trouble when trying to do the nude look. I often have to go for very opaque formulas so they need to be perfect or else I look like I dipped my lips in baby powder (the dreaded ashy lip that haunts all women of color),

Right now I am on the hunt for a peach-based nude that won't wash me out but where the peachiness still shows through and it is near impossible. All the ones I've seen are just not tinted dark enough to work on me.

So far the nude lipsticks that have worked for me are:

NYX- Stone

YSL lipstick in #147

MAC Tea Ceremony

MAC Taupe ( though a bit too red)

Now all of these are pinky nudes so they don't really go with my makeup when it's more on the warm side (thus my search for a peach based nude).

A lot of these celebs are using the old flesh-toned lipliner + concealer on lips finished off with a lip gloss to get their nude looks but that can be a bit drying on the lips. I tried it once with my MAC concealer and I have to admit it was gorgeous but just not comfortable for long wear.

I hope that helps!

LadyDragonfire

I almost feel really silly asking this, but is a "nude lip" actually supposed to match the colour of your skin (on your face?) and/or be about the same as the foundation colour you wear? I have never liked the way that looks on me. :/ I am light skinned (about MAC NC15) but if I wear a lip colour that is really pale and it makes it look like my lips are "disappearing" its not flattering on me. :/ Mind you, the natural colour of my lips is not the same as the colour of the rest of my face either. (My lips are sort of a coral-pink colour, or more light peach if they are dry.) Maybe if your natural lip colour isn't that far off from your foundation colour it looks more natural?

beautylovingirl

@ladydragonfire- Never feel silly about asking that's how you learn.

lylysa

Don't feel silly at all!

Nude lips can denote a range in the color scheme.

Like I suggested in my post below, try to get a shade about one or two shades warmer than your foundation with honey, champagne, or even rose, and even caramel undertones as to not look washed out. Of course there are instances where sometimes the desired look is to have the lips be pale, then adjust picking accordingly, but for a less dramatic nude lip, it's easier to pick with those tips above.

melde

A perfectly nude lip isn't my favorite either (on me, but it does look great on these girls... maybe because I am so pale :smileysad:...). Anyway! I think it is so much harder to find the "perfect" MLBB color!!!! I think think that you end up with a similar look but not so washed out, but that it is so dificult to find! Do any of you guys have the same problem?

Outdoorlook

Oh yes- I can't do the nude lip either. I can go with a colorless gloss because my lips have some natural pigment- but I noticed that sometimes a really nude lip detracts from the whiteness/brightness of teeth. Perhaps it works better on medium or tan skintones...more contrast with teeth!!

beautylovingirl

@melde- I just go for the colors that catch my eye, also I have a darker complexion so it's not that hard but I'm sure it's harder with a pale complexion. You just have to swatch and keep trying to get that one color you love.Also venture out there a  little try colors that you have never tried before, you don't know how it will look on you until you try it.

lylysa

It's all about testing, testing, and testing.

Nudes and natural shades can be some of the most difficult to find because of undertones and how a product wears.

I like sticking with a rose-toned nude lip or a pink-toned nude lip just so one doesn't look washed out.

There's a difference in trying a make up trend for fashion forward reasons and an entirely different thing to make it your staple.

I've done a true, nude/flesh toned lip before, but I always pair it with a very dramatic, almost more severe look because I know how stark it can look so I amplify everything to match.

lylysa

If you want to venture into the realm of an actual nude/flesh toned lip, you have a couple of options.

Yes, you can always use a touch of foundation or concealer, but as those products aren't designed for lip wear, it can result in the look of dry, cracked lips over the course of an hour or two.

The key is to find a highly pigmented lipstick or liner to block out the actual undertone of your lips to prevent it from coming through and shifting the shade you're wearing.

Nude lip primers/neutralizers like Lip Plump by Benefit (don't think Sephora online carries it anymore, but check Benefit's actual page) or using a nude lip pencil to line and fill in your lips can help with blocking out undertones.

Choose a color that's maybe a shade or two warmer than your own complexion to prevent it from washing you out or draining your complexion entirely. Depending on what undertone your skin has, try to find shades with tones of honey, champagne, or even a touch of rose. I would suggest avoiding frosty or super shimmery finishes as this makes a nude lip look chalky.

Matte finishes are easier to work with as they generally have fuller coverage, plus you can always add a touch of gloss to give it some shine.

Nars' Velvet Matte Lip Pencil is available in Bella De Jour:

NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil

http://www.sephora.com/velvet-matte-lip-pencil-P78834?skuId=1057017

MUFE's Rouge Artist Intense lipstick line has an array of nude/flesh toned shades that come in matte and satin finishes:

http://www.sephora.com/rouge-artist-intense-P268702?skuId=1261452

Tarte's Matte Lip Surgence Lip Stains offers a warmer, rose toned nude, perfect for deeper or warmer complexions:

Tarte - LipSurgence™ Matte Lip Tint
http://www.sephora.com/lipsurgence-matte-lip-tint-P266116?skuId=1261155

beautylovingirl

@maryfairy- Alot of knowing the pefect way to achieve certain perfect colors comes from the know how of the MUA. And when you find that certain color on a celeb or model etc. it doesn't mean that it's going to be the same color on you everybody's body chemisty is different. Some nude colors you could swatch:

1. MAC Creme Cup

2. Bobbi Brown's Italian Rose

3.Nars Turkish Delight Lip gloss

4.MAC Fresh Brew

5. YSL Rouge Volupte' in #1 (More of a pinky nude)

Hope this helps!

runy

I agree with the other posters, it can certainly make you (even the models shown here) look washed out.  I think a nude like color with a tint is also the most flattering.  I would look sickly if I wore my skin color on my lips...

mangosong

I'm not really a fan of it... I asked my boyfriend, he's also not a fan of this trend.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I'm on board with Sephoramusthave -- I think it all depends on your skin tone, but for me, a nude with pink in it is much more wearable than a classic nude. In every day life, having lips the same color as your skin isn't very flattering; it can make you look really washed out. I think the idea of nude is to be really natural, but naturally, lips are a few shades darker than the rest of your complexion. You can still have "nude" lips without having completely nude lips, if that makes sense.

All of that said, NARS Cruising is my favorite! :smileyhappy: It's the most lovely nude pink -- really natural looking. I also love Bite Lip Shine in Prosecco, which seems pale pink in the tube, but it looks nude on the lips.

sephoramusthave

Its easier to pull off a full on nude lip when you have a great tan like all those gorgeous women! For me, I'm fair right now and full on nudes wash me out and make me look like I have concealer on my lips or something which doesnt flatter me at all. But pink-nudes look fantastic on me whether I'm pale or tan. I like NARS Cruising lipstick, NARS Lip Laquer Chelsea Girls.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 40 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • mangosong
    • islandqt
    • sephoramusthave
    • lylysa