mafan

When do you apply lip color?

Okay, this probably seems like a really silly question.  When do you apply lip color (gloss, lipstick, primer/liner/lipstick, whatever)?  I do everything else in the bathroom after I've washed in the morning, and then I don't worry about it.  Most things are fairly minimal for me anyway.  But unless I'm wearing a lipstain (L'Oreal Infallible is what I have) my color definitely doesn't last through the day.  And even that has a gloss that goes over and needs to be reapplied.

Because I know I might want it through the day, lip colors tend to migrate to my purse.  But since I don't put it on with everything else and then a bunch of things distract me before I leave, I forget to put it on.  And then I'm driving and my lips feel dry, I get work and forget again, etc.

The alternative is putting it on with everything else, but then either I don't have it with me during the day, or it migrates (see above).

So, what do you do?  Apply once and don't worry about it?  Apply it separately from any other makeup you're wearing?  Put something different on later if you want/need it?  Buy duplicates -- one to put on first thing and one to carry?

I'd love your insights.  I always seem to forget this, which is why more than once I've stopped to grab "something" when I have a different purse with me and nothing on and nothing in it.

orkira

Re: When do you apply lip color?

(0) Hearts

I apply mine after I put all my other makeup on and then throw it in my makeup bag which I throw inside my purse.  I reapply it through out the day as nothing I use lasts the whole day with one application and any lip product I have tried on my lips that will last the whole day dries out my lips horribly!

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

I apply my lip stain/lipstick/gloss and mascara after I have put on my clothes, which is right before I go out the door.  I do carry duplicates or similar colors in my purse in case I forget or for touch-ups. If it is a special lip color, I try to add it to my cosmetic bag.  Sometimes if I'm running late, I throw the mascara in my bag. Then after I get to work, I apply whatever lip color that is in my purse and my mascara.  You know, I should probably throw in one of those mascara samples I have in my bag!  I think I'll do that right now!

I also use a small purse insert so that when I change bags, it has everything I need.  Hope this helps!

CzaCee

(0) Hearts

that has to be my last step. :smileyhappy:

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Mafan,

I do it as my absolute last step. I need the shade to match my eyeshadow, so I like to pick it last. I tend to change up my lip colors throughout the day too.

<3 Melissa
heyyyyyy

(0) Hearts

I apply lip color as my last step

poshified

(0) Hearts

Definitely the last step for me as well. I feel like lip color really pulls the look together :smileyhappy:

Titian06

(0) Hearts

I put my lipstick on as the last step in my make-up routine.  When finished, I drop the lipstick in my purse (I keep a mirror compact in my purse).  I touch up after lunch.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Apply it after finishing all other makeup and brushing teeth in morning, then reapply after lunch.

Meg82

(0) Hearts

I put it on in the morning when I'm doing my face and then slip it and my compact mirror into my pocket (or purse if I don't have pockets) and then a couple of times as the day goes on I use the mirror to check and/or refresh the color.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I only apply once and not the rest of the day but I also apply MAC prep and prime lip before any of my lip products it's my lippie HG product.:smileyhappy:

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

i apply once and don't worry about it, unless i'm going out then i apply and check the mirror when i get to the resturant/ bar or where ever.

sephoralovex

(0) Hearts

When I do wear lipstick I usually apply right before wherever I'm going. So example.. if im going to the mall, i will apply it when i get to the malls parking lot. I'll usually carry the lipstick Im wearing for the day in my purse for any touch ups and thats about it. 

drrragon

This is actually a quite difficult logistical problem and not silly at all!  

My solution is avoidance:  if I'm doing my face for a whole day, I usually just use lip gloss and nothing else.  I've been left high and dry without any kind of lip balm enough times (for someone with dry lips to begin with, that's frustrating!) that I've now stashed a lip balm/gloss in every bag I own just in case.

If I do want some kind of lip color, then yeah I have to remember to bring it with me (which, oftentimes, I forget and end the day using my previously-stashed lipgloss).

laurabt

Hi Mafan, I have a couple lipsticks/ liners/ gloss colors that go with everything that I always keep in my purse.  That way if I forget to put any color on my lips before I leave the house, I'm still prepared to add some later.  :smileyhappy: -Laura

ChicDabbler

I have a little necessity kit that I keep on my counter beside my full length mirror. The kit have bandaid, hair tie, hair clip, travel size perfume, and a couple cough drops. Every morning after I finish my make up, I throw the lipstick in the kit/bag, the bag into whatever bag I'm carrying that day and go.

Else, I also have a lipstick stashed in my office, so if I didn't bring my kit, I'll just use that/a different lip color. No biggie.

prettyinpa

I buy duplicates of the less expensive lip colors or wear lipstain that I put on in the AM, then carry a similar color lipstick for later touch ups. I'm like you, if I put my lipcolor in my purse, I'm sunk in the AM, I have a hard enough time getting off on time without having to search around my purse (a black hole, it swallows up all matter, lol). 

soloist1

(0) Hearts

I put it on last after all my other makeup.  Unless my bf is awake and wants a kiss.  Then I put it on when I get in the car.  He HATES getting gloss, lipstick on him, lol!  I also have a little bag like beautytester that I take out of my purse every morning & put on the bathroom counter.  Then as I do my makeup, I can pull out what was in there the day before and throw in the day's eyeliner & lip stuff.  Then grab the bag & throw it in my purse when I leave.  That way, if I remember, I can reapply as necessary.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoralovex
    • melissabt
    • drrragon
    • jennypenny1995
    • poshified