rosefilou

What's the best Matte Red lipstick?

I'm on the hunt for a nice matte (yet not dry) red lipstick that's medium bright in colour, and one that's not too orange. I already have Stila long wear lip colour in outrageous, which is awesome, but I'm looking for something more on the red-side. I want to go for a look that has lightly black-lined eyes and a nice, matte red lip.

For reference, my skin tone is Fair/Light with warm-yellow undertones. Any suggestions guys?

katie1724

Re: What's the best Matte Red lipstick?

(0) Hearts

If you need any more suggestions, I love NARS Heat Wave -- it is slightly orange based, but it's such a gorgeous red. NARS Shanghai Express is also matte and is a more neutral-toned red, but it's definitely noticeable. I also love Dragon Girl!

astein76

(0) Hearts

I've been playing around with the classic pin-up look and am in love with Smashbox's Infrared, very matte and gives a great retro look.  I use Two Faced Perfect Red lipliner underneath.  Have gotten a ton of compliments on that red!

makeupobesessed

Nars Dragon Girl is my go to redAnd that and clear lip liner to keep it from feathering outside my lips.

glossy

(0) Hearts

My GO-TO Red is MUFE #41.  I have had many friends of different skin tones try it and love it too. Especially if you're into something more of a brown/blue red rather than orange/coral red.

Ignore the crappy application here, I just slapped some one to show how the color appears on my med warm/yellow/olive undertones. 
Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 10.48.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-01-11 at 10.48.39 PM.png

rosefilou

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

So I made it to Sephora today and tried them all out, and I loved ALL your suggestions. After vigourous testing of both high and low end reds, I found Sephora Collection Colour Lip Last in #19 Pure Red NAILED IT. Exact colour and finish that I was looking for. Thanks a lot for your replies! *Below is the look I was going for (ya, in my dreams!)retro-red-lips.jpg

rosefilou

(0) Hearts

These are all great suggestions, I definitely made a list and I'm gonna try them out on my next Sephora visit!

kaththemiao

(0) Hearts

other than all the great answers above, you should also try lip stain. my fav is JOSIE MARAN MAGIC MARKER LIP STAIN. go to a store and try all the colors! they have natural matt finish AND it stays on FOREVER!! 

IsabellaBeauty

Hi rosefilou! 

On the topic of matte red lipsticks, Makeup Forever has some great ones in many, many shades. I, myself, prefer a creamier texture, not completely matte, so I also like shades from brands like Sephora Collection, Too Faced, Smashbox, and Clinique. 

Check em out!

Isabella 

rosefilou

(0) Hearts

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'm gonna test these out at my local Sephora :x

helpful

Nars Lipstick in Jungle Red. It says semi-matte on the website but I find it to be closer to an actual matte. It has won a ton of awards for best red lipstick.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

It's a bit off but gives the same effect. I have Tarte matte Lipsurgence in Fiery. It's a matte cool dark-ish red (but light enough you can def tell it's red and not black/brown etc). I have light/med asian complexion (yellow undertone). When I wore it, it makes my complexion look brighter and when paired with black-lined eyes, gives a Marilyn Monroe kind of look. The first time I wore it out, a girl pointed at my lips, bounced up and down while exclaimed "I like your lip color! I like your lip color! I like your lip color!"

So, I suggest you check that out. There's also Dragon Girl lip pencil by NARS and YSL lipstick with SPF15. I'm assuming you are looking for a cool red and not warm red (since you mentioned not too orange).

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

The Dior Diorific lipstick in #39 . Expensive but the perfect red you just can't go wrong.Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • glossy
    • katie1724
    • rosefilou
    • ChicDabbler
    • makeupobesessed
    • IsabellaBeauty