Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|
Anonymous Insider

What is the most nourishing lip product you've used?

My lips are dealing with some serious wintertime blues, and they could use some help! Can you recommend any products that could help restore my lips and combat dryness/flaking? You can definitely tell they need help whenever I use a matte lipstick. Thanks! 

Re: What is the most nourishing lip product you've used?

When I have a painful lip, inside from some abrasion, or just some chapping, I use First Aid Beauty's intensive lip repair and it is better overnight.

It doesn't feel amazing going on or taste or smell delicious, but it's not unpleasant either and it works very well.

I noticed @jemly mentioned those Tokyo Milk Dark lip elixirs and how they are great but it's a struggle to get the lid off the tin sometimes. So, if you google "tokyo milk bon bon lip balms", you can find some jar balms that are much easier to open, by the same company, and with names like "cherry bomb", "let them eat cake", and "candied violette". They are also adorable.

I tried a new balm this year that seems to have great potential.. Bioderma Atoderm Lips. It's the most moisturizing stick formula I've found. Other balms I've loved for years are Nuxe Reve de Miel and Korres Lip Butter in Guava.

For flakes, I use a facial sponge single from cvs (wet, rinse out soap, and wipe lips in light circular motions). It works so well! Personally, I enjoy the scents of grainy lips scrubs like Fresh's, but they've never really worked for me.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nuxe lip balm in the little pot.

After that some inexpensive lip balm from HEMA, which is a store a little like Target in the Netherlands.

The Nuxe stuff is wonderful!

Honestly, the original Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask is my favourite. I keep one in my purse all the time. Since it stays on my lips for significantly longer than any other balm I use, I find my lips are so much softer at the end of the day. This is coming from someone who does not drink enough water and tends to lick my lips when dry or try to remove dry patches which only makes it so much worse. The agave mask has reduced the need to do these bad behaviours significantly!

A close second would be the Drunk Elephant Lippe balm. This one really softens, plumps and hydrates my lips. It would be my number one but the only downside is that, like all other balms, it doesn't stay on quite as long as I would like it to. I generally use the Bite mask during the day so I don't have to reapply, and the DE one at night after doing my night routine before bed because I wont be eating, drinking or doing anything that will take it off afterwards. Using it this way, I tend to wake up with it still on. If I am really having issues, like cracked lips, then I'll put the Drunk Elephant Lippe on first and seal it in with a generous layer of the Bite Beauty Agave Mask.

I would use a scrub every few days to help with the dryness/flaking followed by a lip mask or really hydrating balm. I also use the Bite Cherry Lip Scrub and find it quite nice, although I feel like the new Bite Agave lip scrub might have some more hydrating ingredients. If your interested in making your own, I know theres tons of recipes online for homemade lip scrubs using ingredients such as honey, brown/white sugar, and coconut or olive oil. If you google "hydrating homemade lip mask" lot's of recipes will come up. There are even some that add in other things such as vanilla (or even pumpkin spice) for flavouring, but I find if I'm really having some major chapped/flakiness issues it's best to avoid any unnecessary ingredients and keep it simple.

Good luck!

I'll tell you which lip product is NOT nourishing - Chanel's Hydra Beauty Lip Balm!FullSizeRender 19.jpg

I've read many reviews that this was great for chapped lips and was the "best" lip product some reviewers used. WELL, not the case for me. This only made my lips somewhat smooth and hydrated while the product was still emollient on my lips. Once it sunk in, all effects were diminished. Definitely not worth the $50, but at least it smells nice.

Though, admittedly I only bought this because it was vaguely featured in the anime Yuri!!! on Ice and I'm too big of a fangirl to pass up getting it. It DOES look very nice on my vanity though lol!

I've yet to try ANY Chanel skincare product that worked for me. It's really bizarre. 

Have you tried the Rouge Coco Baume? It was pretty nice, just a little bit on the expensive side for a lip balm in my opinion lol (but cheaper than the Nourish Lip Care) 

@ashanizer I agree the Chanel lip balm is not hydrating at all and I also bought it because of Yuri on Ice 😄 I miss Chanel's old lip balm though. The old version was much better.

@prti LOL im glad im not the only YOI fan here!!! I swear it's only "hydrating" if you already have perfect lips (I do not!) which kind of defeats the purpose lol my chapstick from the dentist works better!

Lanolips has worked well for me.

@Anonymous.. what an interesting question!

I've actually myself had the same dilemma recently. I'm not a big fan of FRESH b/c I find them to be a little expensive for the performance they provide. I also (like you) wear matte lipsticks so I need something ASAP to help me with my winter lips.

This is what I want to order from Sephora as soon as it is back in stock:

upload_6398991664926109662.jpg

Sephora Collection Lip Balm & Scrub $6

Because the above was out of stock.. I went online to Beautylish and ordered this instead:

upload_7293110211741902385.jpg

Jeffree Star Velour Lip Scrub $12

The second one is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday and has really good reviews. I can keep you posted on how it delivers if you want.

I have 2 of the JS lip scrubs and for me personally, I don't find that they're very nourishing for anything than prepping/removing lip color.  Even when I use it to prep, my lips still get pretty dried out while wearing mattes. Out of all the scrubs I have tried though they're the best performing ones!

Right now though for winter since I have really dry (not cracked, but I get this really annoying, immediate need to put gloss or SOMETHING on my lips to wet them/moisturize them..It's a weird feeling to describe!) I remove my lip color with these: 

https://www.beautybakerie.com/collections/lip-care/products/lip-whip-remover

They're an oil-based remover and I can cut them up and get multiple uses out of 1 pad since they're pretty decent size.  My lips are always SUPER hydrated and soft after using them.  If you're also on the lookout for new matte liquid lipsticks I also highly recommend this brand. I have several of their colors and they're by far my favorite and best performing liquid lipsticks I've come across.

@Melstl, thanks for posting about the JS lip scrub. I bought it from Beautylish based on reviews and I don't get it until Tuesday so if it doesn't work, I will just try to return it. Actually, the Sephora one is back in stock so if I order it tonight I should get it around the same time as the JS one with flash shipping.

Funny enough though.. I had never heard of Beauty Bakerie until tonight and I read a review where the blogger raved about them. And then low and behold, you are talking about them too! A couple quick questions:

1. Any shades you would recommend? (I prefer nudes)

2. I've read they were long-wearing and will survive liquids/foods.. What has been your experience?

3. Do you use the remover for more than just removing their lippies? Or are just saying that after you remove it with the lip remover your lips are now hydrated enough for future matte lip products?

I found out about Beauty Bakerie through the indie makeup brand thread on Beauty Talk, and after doing a little more googling for reviews I tried it and now have a decent size collection of theirs. 

I have:

Versailles (This is their "known" shade, their KVD Lolita if you will. It pulls different on each wearer, in me it's a bit mauve since my natural color is a pink/warm toned.) 

Louvre Palace - This shows as almost a "baby pink" on their website and I almost didn't buy for that reason, but it shows up as more of a natural nude for me. Would definitely recommend trying this one if you're into nude tones

I Like to Chai Chai - This is a nude, but pulls a bit darker of a nude on me than Louvre Palace does. I'd also recommend this one! 

Honey - It's in the nude family (The "Versailles cousins" as they call the last batch of mattes they released) but honestly, with having the other 3 colors above, I really don't need it since it's Louvre Palace - Honey - Chai Chai - Versailles in terms of light-dark nude/everyday color for me. 

Raspberry Tiramisu - A reddish/purple tone, it's great for a vampy look in the winter! It's similar to KVD's Vampira, but pulls more purple. 

Cranberry Stiletto - This color is by far my favorite out of all of them I own. It's a darkened red that is perfect for nights out and winter/fall.  Any time I've worn it I've gotten compliments on how it looks. 

Salted Caramel Mocha - This one is a collab they did with a Youtuber Cosmobyhaley (I think that's her name? Not big into YTers) It's a nude shade that pulls different on everyone as well, I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Take Me for Pomegranate: It's a a pinkish red that also pulls different, I get more of a red tone from it, but it's pretty nice since it's not a true blue-based classic red nor is it a super dark based red either. It's a pretty nice in-between.  

I have 3 others that they seem to have discontinued: Watermelon Slushie (a cute summery pink), Hibiscus Mango Tea (coral), and Hawaiian Cheesecake (a orangey-red, also great for summer).  

I have Royal Tea and Waffle Cone metallics too. Royal Tea was a bit patchy and I've yet to try it again, but Waffle Cone is awesome as a nude metallic by itself or as a topper to other mattes to give it a bit of a sheen. If you're gonna grab a metallic I'd do Waffle Cone since it's more versatile and didn't apply as patchy as the Royal Tea did.  

Out of them I'd recommend trying the Louvre Palace, Waffle Cone, and probably Salted Caramel. There's a Fortune Cookie nude I've also been eyeing. I'd definitely check their website's swatches as well as their instagram. I used their Insta account  to find which colors would work best based on fan photos that seemed to have my same skin tone and how the colors pulled on them (you'll also be able to see how certain colors they have pull different on different skin tones too!) 

I've definitely worn them for at least 4-6 hours without a reapply and on NYE actually fell asleep in the Cranberry Stiletto shade and while it wasn't perfect the next morning, it was still holding strong and I probably would've only needed a touch up to make it look new again.  They survive drinks and food really well - as long as the food isn't super greasy/oily since that's the one thing that'll get the color to budge.  I actually ordered the wipes because it would take several lip scrubs and teeth brushing attempts to get the color to budge. I now use the wipes to remove all of my lipstick no matter the brand or formula and it comes off in a few swipes and my lips are hydrated to either reapply or go to bed without that dry/achy feeling most lipsticks can give you after wearing for a few hours. I would definitely not recommend to use the wipes for additional make up as I don't believe the ingredients were formulated for eyes/lashes, etc. but you can always check with their customer service line that's usually open and available to answer questions.  

I've also got a few of their liners/eyeshadows and their BROWnies brow pomade in Blondie. The containers are a bit small, but a little goes a long way with all of them. I'm a fan of the BROWnies.  

Their EYEScream cream shadows are pretty decent.  I use their shade Pancake as my shadow primer now and their metallic shades show up great on the lids. The only complaint I have is their "normal" nude/browns are very hard to blend (or I'm just terrible at cream shadows) and if they're not sealed, they'll dry out. They're gels are just OK - they're waterproof, but I prefer KVD Trooper liner instead.

@Melstl, I just wanted to let you know I took your advice and ordered from Beauty Bakeire

IMG_2264.JPG

I got myself:

1. Lip Whip Remover Pads

3. Lip Scrub

3. Lip Whip in Fortune Cookie

4. Lip Whip in Salted Caramel Mocha

I just got it today so I plan on using in tomorrow. I can let you know how i like it you are interested. Thanks again for the recommendation.

@willa25  I JUST saw your photo in the Feb haul thread! So glad you got to order and got them super fast! Let me know how you like them!!

@Melstl, THANK YOU so much for such a detailed answer. You gave me so much more information then I asked for but that is good thing! I checked out their website and I do like that fortune cookie color.  I plan on getting one more matte lip and the wipes so I can get over the $50 shipping. They also sent me a coupon for being a first time shopper. I'll make sure you keep you posted about how I like it. Thank you again! 🙂

It's nothing fancy, and it's quite cheap, too ( very simple but great natural ingredients! )... but it is the best thing that has ever happened to my dry lips - Tropical Traditions Lip Moisturizer ( the tea tree oil one )! I don't even care to try anything else anymore. I just need to have this on hand always! 😛

Oh, and - I am a matte lipstick fiend! 😉

@Anonymous I have had success with the Fresh Sugar Nourishing Lip Balm Advanced Therapy (wow thats a mouthful!) and Bite's Agave Lip Mask. I usually apply this at night or on days when my lips are in need of immediate attention.

Another great item that helps soften my lips while exfoliating them is the Fresh Sugar Lip Polish. (Fresh also makes a great face and body scrub).

For everyday use I enjoy the Fresh Sugar Advanced Lip Treatment and Yu-Be Lip Balm (no longer at Sephora but I see it's available at DermStore and Nordstrom).

http://www.sephora.com/agave-lip-mask-P384629?skuId=1575042&icid2=products%20grid:p384629

http://www.sephora.com/sugar-lip-polish-P274001?skuId=1297183&icid2=products%20grid:p274001

http://www.sephora.com/sugar-nourishing-lip-balm-advanced-therapy-P399645?skuId=1702356&icid2=products%20grid:p399645

http://www.sephora.com/sugar-advanced-therapy-lip-treatment-P302103?skuId=1378215&icid2=products%20grid:p302103

I definitely second the suggestions from @trishavt of using a lip scrub and the Bite Beauty Agave lip mask. Great combination. It's too bad they don't sell the little glass jar kit anymore that had a mini Bite Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub and mini Bite Agave lip mask. I bought that duo last year for a decent price and am still working through the little lip scrub stick, although I've since purchased a full size of the mask. It lasts a long time because you don't need to reapply every hour due to its staying power! The mask may be a bit pricey but seriously it lasts so long on the lips that it takes forever to use up. A little goes a very long way, too.

they don't seem like anything fancy and the ingredients don't seem like anything special, but i swear the best lip balms i've ever used are the TOKYOMILK lip elixirs. 

most lip balms may feel a bit nice but they tend to slip around my lips and i never feel like they're getting absorbed or my lips actually nourished. but with this balms there's a bit of grip. if i put it on at night it's completely still there in the morning and my lips are properly hydrated.

the packaging can be a bit frustrating but i still find the product inside 100% worth it.

http://www.sephora.com/femme-fatale-collection-lip-elixirs-P311139?skuId=1430776&icid2=products%20gr...

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos15
  • nuxe_ultranourisinglipbalm__900x900.jpg
  • 1460561299-fp-nuxe-reve-de-miel-stick-levres-face-ouvert-2015-01.png
  • Lip_Balm_Mango.jpg
  • Lip_Balm_Coconut.jpg
  • 02small-280x280.jpg
  • upload_8821138752534231881.jpg
  • s1782192-main-Lhero.jpg
  • upload_6398991664926109662.jpg
  • upload_7293110211741902385.jpg