annekevdb

Tips for making a dark lip work w/ fair hair and skin

I'd really love to find a way to get a dark red or plum lip to work with my coloring. I just can't seem to get it right. I love the VIP ROUGE red, for instance, but I look weird with it on. I'm sure part of it is not being used to such a dramatic color. But, I think I also don't get my other make-up right. I'd love tips on working a dramatic dark lip with my coloring (you can see in my profile picture my hair and skin color). I just ordered Give me more lip (and I have the first lippie box too) and there are so many gorgeous dark colors, and it's fall, and ... oh - HELP!

JGSFLA

Re: Tips for making a dark lip work w/ fair hair and skin

I have the SAME problem..so I wear more of a brick red..u will LOVE this colors1131168-main-herlip.jpgLancome Sienna :smileyhappy:..also NARS lip laquer in EROS its more of a brick red.. 

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

MaryDiva - that is gorgeous. I will check it out. Thank you!!

marydiva

Menace from Buxom is absolutely GORGEOUS. I have ivory colored skin so I thought I could never pull off such a dark wine colored lip but it's absolutely  beautiful on. Of course, I have dark eyebrows & hair, so it might look differently on me than you. However, it's worth looking into! :smileyhappy:

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

I just got the Give Me More Lip set and that color is in it. It looks great - one of my favorites from the set. 

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

Great info here, I would love to go darker on lips sometimes but can't seem to make the look work. Dark hair, fair skin.

melde

I'm very pale too, but I wear red lipstick a lot, it is one of my favorite looks. I always wear less eye makeup when I wear red lips on a "normal day" - ie, just mascara and neutral, matte shadows. If it is a fancy event that I'm attending, I will kick up the eye makeup. But I work at a casual office and that seems to be fine.

Also, sometimes applying red thick is a bit much for some shades. You could apply one layer very lightly and blend with your finger, and see if that looks better? I also do that a lot. :smileyhappy:

annekevdb

This is pretty much what I tried today. Just eyebrows (which are white and always need a little help), mascara, and liner. I usually do my waterline and I skipped it. Foundation, very tiny amount of blush. The dark red from ROUGE worked really well.

Thank you for all the tips ladies!

melde

(0) Hearts

Glad this worked for you!! Sounds pretty! :smileyhappy:

midnightangel

I am quite pale with pink undertones, and my natural hair color is light as well, and I have never had a problem rocking red or dark lips in general. Try wearing true reds, blue reds and plums. Even fuchsia if that's your thing. These look best with eyeshadows in light gray, taupe, silver or white. For a more glam angle, run a thin line of liquid black eyeliner across your upper lashline.

For a more casual angle, skip the liner & shadow, and just do mascara only.

2 of my favorite red lipstick shades are Sephora's Rouge Cream in Hot Tango and The Red. These would be an excellent place to start.

Titian06

Hi, annekevdb!  I'm very light with blond hair, blue eyes, and a yellow undertone.  Like everyone else, I always wanted to find a great red lipstick.  After years of searching, I found mine:  Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Chunkiest Chili.  It's a brownish red, so you don't feel like people can see you coming from a mile away.

Chunkiest Chili.jpg

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

Thank you all! I am going to play around with it today since I am home. I think I will also get to sephora and have someone help me with the color. I have pink undertones in my skin. I feel like I get a bad red ( maybe one that leans towards orange) and its all wrong. I don't know what to do withe the rest of my face when I have red lips. It feels like I am either washed out or clownishly over done. I need to find the happy middle ground. 

MermaidBarbie

Try layering a darker and lighter color on top so you can adjust how light or dark you want it, or try doing an ombre lip like I did in my last topic I posted using one deep red and lighter red in center, slightly blending out. Here is my fall, vampy look. :smileyhappy:

MermaidBarbie-KVD Rosary Lipstick-BiteBeauty VIB Rouge Red Lipstick.png

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

I love that look. How do you do the rest of your make up when you do your lips like that?

MermaidBarbie

[ Edited ]

Either keep it simple with a nice light brown crease shade and winged eyeliner, or a light smokey eye, preferably with beige/brown or grey shades. :smileyhappy: For blush, very natural or just a little bronzer.

mpolansky

I don't know about her but whenever I do a statement lip I keep the rest of my face simple. Mascara and winged liner with a little bronzer and a tinnny bit of blush. Keeping it simple is especially important if you're doing a daytime dark lip

kenny

Definitely work on slowing easing your way into the dark colors, with lighter, sheerer colors and working towards a more vampy shade. 

When rocking a dark lip, while you don't want to overwhelm with too much makeup, you need to balance the look. I usually think black and white film stars. Go for a fuller brow (slightly darker than everyday). And for eye makeup I usually for winged liner (with champagne or a brown smoky eye. 

Also make sure that your complexion is flawless. The more dramatic look will enhance some imperfections and discolorations.

Usually when rocking a dark lip I (kind of) throw the idea of one "focus feature" out a little.  Rather than doing the lip and minimal eye makeup (i.e. only mascara), I make sure that my makeup all seems balanced.

ChicDabbler

Sometimes it depends on your undertone, and sometimes it just take getting use to if you usually don't wear such dramatic color. You can always go for a sheer color, or wear the Bite VIB rouge lipstick as a stain (blot onto lips using your finger).

For example, this is the Hourglass icon red. If you apply it straight it's a blood red, but if you blot it with the finger it's a berry pink stain.

2013-09-24 19.15.46.jpg

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

I think that color Is in the set that is coming. I am going to try it for sure. So pretty. 

glossyguru

Wow, super pretty! What a great idea! I second this thought, definitely a great way to make dramatic lip colors more wearable!

mafan

I think a lot of it is getting used to dark or bright colors. I've got a darkish fuchsia shad on today and a year ago I could not have seen myself in it. But it does look good. It's just startling. I found a dark lip stain a couple of days ago that I put on. It felt weird seeing it, but after a few hours it didn't feel so strange. It's the same color I thought of wearing to a wedding and had to take off and change for a lighter coral color instead. 

I'm blonde (but darker, with sun highlights and some amount of tan still, though usually several shades lighter). For me, I have trouble seeing myself in light pinks. I bought a YSL lip in Opera Rose that I thought I would like and I'm just not sure about. I have to try it and maybe get some opinions before I decide whether to keep it or not. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 45 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • marydiva
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan
    • MermaidBarbie