Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Smashbox "Stepping out"

I love smashbox's always on in the shade "Stepping Out" but I really want to go out and try a almost the same or similar shade from a different brand does anybody know one that is the same or maybe even better than smashbox's? (I have no price point lol) thanks in advance.

Re: Smashbox "Stepping out"

FullSizeRender.jpg

I've got stepping out on top. Then..

First row (L-R): ABH Stripped, Kylie Exposed, ABH Ashton

Next row (L-R): Marc Jacobs Yours to Try, Marc Jacobs Fawn Over Me, Marc Jacobs Hot Cocoa

Third row (L-R): Giorgio Armani 202, Tarte Homeslice, Tarte Get it!

Looking at them now, ABH Ashton and Armani 202 look very similar. I love the Armani texture, its Matte and it dries down but it's not transfer proof, so it's still moisturizing. All of the Marc Jacobs have a creme finish so they won't dry down and WILL transfer. ABH, Kylie, and Tarte (Quick Dry) will all dry down and ARE transfer proof. Hope this helps! 🙂

ABH Ashton, Armani 202, and Marc Jacobs Hot Cocoa are all extremely similar to Stepping Out. 

If I were to recommend based on texture I would say go for the Armani 202. It's matte but still very moisturizing. ABH has a very lasting texture but is really troubling for dry lips like mine. 

Marc Jacobs Hot Cocoa is cream and doesn't dry down. 

yessss this helped me as well! I think I will most definitely try the Armani 202 sounds great. Thank you so much for the swatches, so nice and helpful! 

No worries! I have a hard time finding my perfect nude (which I'm still on the hunt for) so I'd be happy if I can help someone else find theirs! 😉 

That was very kind of you to swatch the heck out of your arm for this thread 🙂

When taking it off with makeup wipes, the ABH, Kylie and Tarte ones would not budge! I had to use eye make up remover.. and even then the Kylie one stayed on like a darn tattoo. I just got it as a gift so I'm okay with letting it stay in my makeup box and never putting it on my lips. LOL

LOL!

I haven't tried Kylie's, but I hear they are very long-lasting, but also very drying....I'm okay with sacrificing some of the long-wear capabilities for not having my lips feel dried out and parched. 

I've found that the Smashbox formula also is the most "touch up-friendly" out of many liquid lipstick formulas. It's inevitable that the lipstick applied to the inner ring of the mouth tends to wear down the quickest and once it does many formulas get crumbly or chunky, making touch ups or reapplying a pain or impossible to look nice. I can layer the Smashbox one over itself, have it look even, and not deplete my lips of moisture so yay for being easy to work with! 😄

Hi, Jocelynv!

Are you wanting to stick with a liquid lipstick that dries to a transfer-proof, matte finish or are you wanting to opt for a traditional cream lipstick with a matte, satin, or even shimmer finish but merely in the same or similar tone?

I think I would still like it be matte for sure and ideally transfer-proof but I think if it's a traditional cream lipstick with just a matte finish that's okay! Definitely same or similar tone!  

Gotcha!

For reference, here are some images of Stepping Out so you can compare them to swatches/images of other like items/shades (I have SO and I love the color and formula as well!).

Image result for smashbox stepping out

If you want to stick with Smashbox first, their Be Legendary Matte lipsticks have the shade Safe Word that is in line with that nude rose shade that makes it a great neutral. The matte formula is creamy and comfortable for the wear (I have some of their matte lipsticks and enjoy them). While they're not transfer-proof like a liquid to matte/liquid lipstick formula, they're quite long wearing, so you don't have to worry about all the color disappearing in one failed swoop if you're taking a drink.

Image result for smashbox safe word lipstick

Image result for smashbox safe word lipstick

For other liquid lipstick/transfer-proof formulas and brands there are Jeffree Star's Gemini:

You can also try Kat Von D's Lolita or Lolita II for a subtle variation with a bit more of a terra cotta touch or mauve touch depending on the shade you decide to go with:

Image result for kat von d lolitaImage result for kat von d lolitakat von d lolita ii vs lolita swatches

Here's a swatch image of some shades from Anastasia and Stila that revolve around the color family you may like:

(just realized the image appears quite small, feel free to right click the image to open it in a new window and it'll pull it up full size to read all the other names in full, Smashbox's SO is on the far left for comparison, then it's the Anastasia colors, a MAC shade, and the last two on the right are Stila)

I will say that I'm a big fan of the Smashbox formula and it seems to be the one I've found to be a happy medium in terms of being long-wearing and still comfortable to sport. While I know Anastasia and KVD are two big brands that have stellar colors and huge followings, I don't find their formulas as comfy on the lips versus the Smashbox, while some of their colors may wear longer, it's definitely going to boil down to personal preference as far as finding that balance of comfort and durability so play around with formulas to see which you may like! 🙂

OMG! Thank you sooo much! This was very helpful and now i have an idea on what to try and what not try! yes stepping out is that perfect nude shade for me, just wanting to experiment with other nude shades like theirs and see how they are compared to it since i'm so into the nude trend right now. and thanks again x100! 🙂

You're welcome! If you haven't tried some of their other Always On Liquid Lip shades, try Babe Alert for a neutral, but more pink shade. Driver's Seat has more of a coral neutral and In Demand is more of a peach neutral. 

The cream formulas in the Smashbox lipsticks also have a good array of neutrals. Chai is a honeyed caramel shade:

Image result for smashbox chai lipstick

Famous is a softer pink:

Audition is another pink but has a touch of mauve:

The cream lipsticks can all be topped with their InstaMatte gel which instantly turns any cream or sheen finish lipstick into a matte formula that still wears comfortable on lips!

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos1
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
testing