rawrxjasmine

Red lip too much?

I have a job interview tomorrow that I am very excited about! I'm always wearing bright colored lips and I love red so it's definitely me. Would a red lip be too much though? I just want to hear every ones opinion! Thanks. ( :

latinadiva

Re: Red lip too much?

I sure hope your interview went well! Just to chime in for anyone who happened to be reading this to answer this question for themselves. I work in job that does a ton of work with job placement, workforce development, re-employment training, dress for success, etc. Seeing that your interview was in this field, I would say then yes a mild red lip is probably okay. For any other field, I would definitely say steer clear of a red lip or any other heavy makeup. Your makeup should be minimal and neutral, but don't skip over it entirely either. Studies show that women who wear makeup conservatively in the work place tend to get paid more than women who don't. To branch out slightly, and I only mention these since they are things I didn't think of when I first started, nail polish should be clear and your hair should be conservative as well. The oddest thing is that it is suggested not to wear perfume either. 

Hope you got your job!!

MaybeMaybe

@Latinadiva.... the suggestion to not wear perfume to an interview is not "odd" at all. Many people are allergic to fragrance. Some to the point where fragrance on a passerby can trigger life threatening breathing problems. Many hospitals and businesses are now "fragrance-free" requiring that all employees and even visitors wear only unscented products.

latinadiva

It was definitely the most interesting one for me to learn but whenever I do re-employment trainings it is ALWAYS the one I have to explain! I always mention allergies being an issue, several years ago my church became "fragrance-free" when a priest we had at the time developed an allergy. The even funnier one is that studies also show (we love our studies as you can tell..mostly because they provide humorous truths) that..lets say you're being interviewed by a man and happen to be wearing the perfume that his ex wife that he went through a HORRIBLE divorce with wore daily..he as the interviewer would have a natural tendency to dislike you since he is mentally and emotionally associating your smell with a bad experience. We always have fun explaining that one!

MaybeMaybe

Ohhh good point. I hadn't even considered association.

I've done something similar when interviewing candidates for a position. Once I had to let an employee go for poor performance. When I was doing the interviews to replace her one of the candidates had the same color hair and a very similar voice and manner of speaking to the person I'd just let go. This new candidate had an excellent resume but I just couldn't get past how much she reminded me of the very person I'd just had a negative experience with.  

MaybeMaybe

Hey Rawrxjasmine...... how did that interview go??

Fantastic, I hope!

sephoralovex

Yes how did your interview go!? :smileyhappy:

mityren

I think a red lip denotes confidence. A good matte red is very interview appropriate.

roxystar4

i hope you get the job!!!!!!

rawrxjasmine

I probably should have said it's a beauty related job! Thanks for the feedback everyone! 

starletta8

Go for the bold lips then!

Good luck!

kenny

In that case a nice clean red lip is definitely appropriate! Good Luck!

miabt

How exciting!  Bold lips it is :smileyhappy:  Good luck!

sephoralovex

Then yes go for red lips. But I'd recommend doing very minimal eye makeup/blush so the red lips will be the main focus. Good luck!!! :smileyhappy: 

kenny

Definitely depends on the industry and your interviewer, honestly I would play it safe with maybe a shade of rose. Even though I think it can look chic and put together, it is probably best to play it safe with a less (potentially) offensive color.

miabt

Hi rawexjasmine,

I agree with the rest of the group that it def depends on the industry you're interviewing for.  If it was something like Sephora, I'd say go for it!  If its a position at a more conservative establishment, I would tone it down just a bit with some blotting, but still keep the great color.  I would also suggest keeping the eye makeup to a minimum & having your lips be your focal point.  Doing too much might with makeup can distract from the reason you're there & can sometimes be perceived as unprofessional.  While no where near the truth, first impressions only happen once :smileywink:

xo, Mia

DesertRose0706

it defientely depends on what type of position you are applying for.  I work in a male dominated construction-type atmosphere, and red lips would not be appropriate.  If i had worn something like that to my interview, I probably wouldn't have gotten the job as it would have looked unprofessional and out of place.

but if its something like beauty, fashion, etc. it would certainly be appropriate!

nebel

I don't think there is anything wrong with classic red lipstick.  But your outfit should ALSO be classic- an appropriately tailored suit- and your hair should be in kind.

starletta8

I agree with roxystar- it's totally dependent upon the industry!

roxystar4

I think it depends on the interview. If you are interviewing at a conservative place (church, financial industry, etc) you may want to go with a sheer red or something more subtle. If you are interviewing at a job that isn't as conservative (beauty industry, retail sales, etc) I would say rock it!

donnadelrey

Oh honey! A beautiful bold red lip is classic and perfect for making people remember you! I think you should do it. Good luck.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 72 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • kenny
    • sephoralovex
    • roxystar4
    • mityren
    • latinadiva
    • miabt