itscarin

OCC Lip Tars - Overrated?

I did see the other posts about lip tars on here, and I felt like creating a new thread because the last one hasn't been touched in over 6 months and I feel like there has been a lot of hype around the lip tars.

I love everything about the lip tars except for how they actually work.  They are pigmented, but they're also sticky and they have no staying power.  I guess if you don't drink/eat/talk too much they'll stay on.  I've had them wear off on me in about 4 hours, and I wasn't eating/drinking anything. 

Because they're all liquidy, it's also really hard to reapply.  I can't imagine taking a lip brush and the lip tar with me to reapply.  I also hate how the product always separates and you have to shake it up really well before or it comes out all weird.

I'm wondering how everyone else feels about them.  A friend recently mentioned she was thinking of purchasing the mini lip tar set as a gift, and I told her not to because I don't think they're worth it.  There are so many better (in terms of long lasting) lip products on the market.  At least it seems like they're moving away from the claims that their lip tars are long lasting.

kbmatthews

Re: OCC Lip Tars - Overrated?

I'm glad you started this! I was considering trying them out and getting the mini pack during chic week. Maybe I'll just stick with what I know works. But I love the colours!

1SultrySCENTNut

OCC Lip Tar is a good product, if you want to take the time to paint your lips. Just remember to use a lip primer and et it fuy dry before applying any color. If it is something new, may I suggest going with 1 color and the matte primer. I also recommend a different brush for color, the brushes that are incuded are ok to use for the primer, but for color a much more suppe brush will make it easier and the color will apply richer with more pigment, thus less layering between dying times. I use this brush for color, purchased by a friends suggestion,  just for Lip Tar application - my 1 oddball brush :  Make Up Forever 304 Straight. Im 100 % happier painting my ips with this new brush for color application.

itscarin

(0) Hearts

I don't find that the clear (or any of the other colors for that matter) dry down.  Are you saying they do?  If so, how long would you suggest waiting for the primer to set before applying the color?

RiaLynn

(0) Hearts

I usually let the lip primer sit for about a minute or two, that's usually long enough for me. If the other colors aren't drying down for you then you're probably using too much. If it feels sticky or wet at all after about a minute then you applied it too thick. What I do is apply a thin coat, let it sit for a minute, blot, then put a tissue over my lips and brush it with some setting powder. If you want a more intense color, just do a second coat like you did the first one. 

kbmatthews

(0) Hearts

Hmm, good to know!

gingerblack

They are too high maintenance for me to wear regularly, but I love black metal dahlia for nights out.

drrragon

I really love OCC Lip Tars but I do agree with you -- on me they have no staying power whatsoever!  It's a disappointment as I know others have raved that they stay put all day.  Still I have 4 full sized tubes and the mini set from the holidays, and am still tempted to get the new primary colors set.  It's the fun of being able to easily mix colors that I find so alluring.  The rest of the time I guess I have to make sure not to speak, eat, or drink while I have them on.... :smileyvery-happy:

itscarin

I love the colors, too! They have a great range and they do some really bold colors which is why I want to love them, but they're just not functional. A great lip color that comes off as soon as you take a sip of water isn't really a great lip color. :/

mpolansky

I bought the mini set of 4 that came out around the holidays this past year.. I thought it would be perfect. It had a pinky nude, a red, pink, and dark wine color. I couldn't believe how disappointed I was after using it! Even WITH a clear primer and/or concealer around my lips, they bled more than any other lip product I've ever used. The SA's eyes almost popped out of her head when I returned it! I hear so many people loving it but I couldn't get into it. 

As you mentioned, they didn't last on me. They don't wear down evenly (just seemed to break apart) and you're right, a little awkward to reapply. 

I will say that I really like how easy it is to customize your lip color by mixing whatever color you want. And that they have a great color selection. But those are the only positives I have.

kso1225

(0) Hearts

I bought this same set and returned it also! I had heard so much hype about the Lip Tars and also thought the products would be perfect but I was so disappointed. They bled and I've never had any lip products bleed on me. They also didn't last at all on me. I searched for "lip stain" in the Sephora search bar and the Lip Tars came up and that's what first made me interested in them, but I don't even think they should qualify as a stain.

itscarin

image.jpg

i swatched a bunch of reds yesterday was kind of upset by how they performed on the back of my hand.  They're bleeding all over the place as you can tell from the pic.  I think these lip tars are going to be one of those products I never use since the novelty has worn off.

mpolansky

Yikes that looks messy. No one wants to worry about their lip products traveling on them during the day. Hope you find a red that actually stays!

notcreative

If it was not for the swatches at the bottom right, I would have asked what happened?  Those are really wet.  They look like blood.

missrmessner

My one pet-peeve with them is that I get that white film at the inner corners of my lips when I wear them. So, I usually prefer to wear other products unless I know I'll be able to monitor the white stuff situation. 

annypoo

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on your personal preference. Personally, I don't really like them because they can be messy and difficult to apply/reapply. I can't really apply them on the go since it's done with a brush and it's not exactly quick to sit there and put it on with such precision. I also find them kind of sticky. I'm a lipstick kind of girl because I can touch up really quick whether I am in a car, in the bathroom, etc. On the positive note, they have a great variety of colors and are super pigmented. 

BrennaBombshell

I just got my first one today and wore it for a few hours and really liked it. I'm used to reapplying anything I have on pretty often because I use an electronic cigarette, so that didn't bother me too much. I think for photos and things like that, they'd be awesome, but possibly not so good if you're looking for a work wear or a day out lippie. But so far, I'm pretty pleased. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • itscarin
    • Manda
    • aviscardi
    • drrragon
    • kso1225
    • joy8989