punctuationgeek

Looking for the perfect red lipstick/lipgloss

(0) Hearts

I'm very fair and cool-toned (I'm shade 2 in Illamasqua Skin base). My hair is a dark strawberry blonde (sometimes appears light brown), and my eyes are blue. I have been looking for the perfect red lip for years. I've tried MAC Viva Glam 1 (lipstick and gloss), Russian Red, Ruby Woo, and Retro; Make Up For Ever in 45; Tarte Lipsurgence in Lust; Buxom lipgloss in Charity (I believe it's discontinued), Hourglass Icon, and various others. I don't want anything super bright or dark, but I don't want it to be so sheer that it's unrecognizable as being red. Basically, I want to look as good as Marilyn Monroe, Christina Hendricks, Gwen Stefani, and Dita Von Teese lol. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

ladymeag

Re: Looking for the perfect red lipstick/lipgloss

(0) Hearts

Stila's Natasha is pretty nice for cool/fair skin tones and can be worn more sheer or built up to be a little more heavy. 

http://www.sephora.com/color-balm-lipstick-P377701

punctuationgeek

Thank you! That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Loretta55

(0) Hearts

The just received Fresh Cherry Sugar Treatment. It is. Very subtle shade of red. I also like Bite Pomergranite Lip Pencil which was included in a couple of the Sephora Favorite Kits. The other red that I like is the Nars Lip pencil in Cruella.

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

Fresh Sugar Passion lip balm is my go-to red. It's just right on me. Before, I had the world's hardest time finding a good red.

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

I'll have to give that a try. I love the Chubby Sticks, they are so comfortable to wear. Thanks!

marinaanne147

I'm fair and neutral toned with blond hair and blue eyes and my holy grail red is NARS Dragon Girl Matte Lip Pencil. It's a pretty pink toned red so it's easy to wear. It's also matte so it isn't too dramatic. The packaging may seem annoying due to it having to be sharpened but the precision in application is so worth it. It's honestly the greatest red ever! Try it! 

punctuationgeek

I love the matte lip pencils. Matte is my favorite way to go, so I definitely will have to check this out when I'm next in Sephora. Thanks!

jojobe

Have you tried the Marc Jacobs Showstopper- I think it is almost universally flattering just make sure you use a clear lipliner-

If you are still having trouble I would try OCC Lip tar and make your own color- that way it's always right. s1548379-main-grid.jpg

punctuationgeek

Thanks for the suggestions! I love mixing lip tars, but I've never tried it for red.

butterblume

I love red lipstick!

Nars Fire Down Below might be a good choice for you - it's a blood red with brown tones. Fairly muted, but still very red.

Sephora cream lipstain in Always Red is a matte red that comes out very very true red.

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

Thank you! I love blood red, but it always runs a bit too deep for me--glad to hear this one's a bit muted.

Titian06

Hi, punctuationgeek!  First, I love your name!  I searched for years for the "perfect" red.  For me, it is Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Chunkiest Chili.  Another red that is more red (Chunkiest Chili is a muted red-brown) and will give you that Marilyn look is Bite Beauty VIB Rouge Creme Lipstick.  I think it's pretty neutral, not much of an orange undertone and not much of a blue undertone.

http://www.sephora.com/chubby-stick-intense-moisturizing-lip-colour-balm-P377218?skuId=1483296

http://www.sephora.com/vib-rouge-creme-lipstick-P381813?skuId=1556208

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

Thank you! Chunkiest Chili is a bit dark on me, but I do love it. I'll have to revisit it :smileyhappy: It reminds me a bit of Viva Glam 1, which I love but find really intense.

Unfortunately, the last time I wore Bite VIB Rouge, I walked into a room and a friend said that this was the worst lipstick I've ever worn lol. Too bad--it looks lovely in the tube.

AllyKatVA

I am a very fair blue eyed golden blonde, and I love the Chubby in Mighty Maraschino. It has a nice cool tone, is super glossy, and is CHERRY RED. Strangers compliment me when I wear it!

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

For some reason my reply didn't work and appeared higher up the list lol. Thanks for your help!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • shyvicki
    • marinaanne147
    • jojobe
    • ladymeag
    • Titian06
    • Loretta55