kimmi1115

Lip Liner Question

This may sound like a silly question.  Is it best to use a lip liner that matches your lip tone or one that matches the lipstick shade?  Since I started using liner about a year or so ago, I have just used one that matches my natural lip tone.  I matched up through the Smashbox liners, but my sharpener practically ate the pencil.  So, I found a perfect dupe for it from the Sephora Retractable Waterproof lip liners.  

Since I have a bit more experience with using a lip liner now, I'm wondering about which is best since I got an awesome red lipstick from Avon.  I have also watched YouTube videos where it seems like some people have a specific lip liner for each lipstick they own.  

IttyxBittyxMe

Re: Lip Liner Question

(0) Hearts

I think it depends on the effect you're trying to go for. I personally don't have a lip liner in my skin color, all the lip liners I own match the shade or are darker. I am probably going to get the UD Ozone lip liner as it as a clear lip liner for those lipsticks I don't need a liner for, but other then that...yeah, back to what you're trying to do. I never just line my lips (as in just the outer portion), but my lip liner goes on after my primer all over my lips (or if I'm doing a gradient, where I want the darker color to be) so the color payoff is even and my lipstick lasts longer.  

For example, I have MAC's Candy Yum Yum. On it's own and with the matching lipliner, Silly, it is way to bright on my skin. I'm not light enough to pull it off and I'm not quite ebony to wear it on it's own.  So instead of returning it, I decided to pair it with a darker lip liner (and sometimes two!) for an interesting new color or a gradient effect. Like today it's in the center of my lips, the MAC liner Nightmoth is lining my lips, Magenta liner is next, and then Candy Yum Yum in the center. image.jpg

So I don't think there's really a 'best' way to wear lip liner, it all just depends on what you're trying to do with you're lips and wear your lipstick at the time. 

Kyndra

(0) Hearts

I've never thought to buy a clear or flesh colored lip liner! This would of saved me so much money in liners. I'm definitely gonna like into this esp on lazy days. But I would suggest that if it's an intense color like a red or vibrant pink, get a liner of similar color to make it more intense but if that's not you then stick to what your using

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

For anyone wondering - Elf has a clear lipliner that has a waxy texture that is used for the same thing as the Urban Decay Ozone liner. I can't speak for the quality difference but they are both essentially clear wax to prevent feathering - so if anyone is cheapo like me you may want to try that one for $3!

mberteig

(0) Hearts

I bought the ELF one but haven't tried it yet...

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

I think this is a great post! I am now considering the clear Urban Decay liner, do you think it would work with glosses and other lip colors that aren't traditional lipstick?

evno

(0) Hearts

I'm a lazy girl, so I use clear liner (the Sephora one is actually quite good). I apply it lightly all over my lips, and lip tint always stays put. Color-matching liners and lipsticks always seems so difficult! I try out new lipsticks constantly, so finding a liner for each just isn't feasible (or affordable :smileytongue: ).

So, I think the second choice would be a liner that would match your lips exactly. Then you don't have to worry about lipstick wearing off and leaving just the liner, and you'll still have a liner that will make your lipstick application precise.

If you're worried about not being able to "color inside the lines" with your lip liner and lipstick, I recommend using a lip brush to outline your lips with lipstick, and then fill them in. After using clear or your-lip-colored lip liner, of course.

alexxxaa

(0) Hearts

I have always wondered this toooo!

knadala

I recommend using one that matches your lip color, line your lips and do some slight shading to set a light base for the color. Then do your lipstick over it and the effect will be more natural and less harsh with the color lines. 

Another suggestion for application is to forgo the traditional application method of swiping the lipstick directly on your lips. Instead, try swiping the lipstick on your finger and dabbing it on your lips. It will blend the color into your lips and you can build the color layers depending on desired pigmentation.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I've never tried applying lipstick like that before!  I will have to give that a try.  That sounds like a really good technique for bolder shades.  Thanks for the tip!  :smileyhappy:

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I love that you asked this! :smileyvery-happy:

I have never used lip liner and have been curious!  

Now i have an idea of what to get after reading all the responses!!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I'm still a lip liner newbie, too lol.  I've used two or three of the Sephora nude ones.  I'm not sure how they compare to other brands, but I loved it!  

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I use a clear liner most of the time. I have a few darker shades (red/burgundy) that I use a matching lip liner in order for the color to last longer.  With those dark colors I will use the clear liner (UD Ozone) to trace the outer edge of my lip line, then the matching color on my lip line and over my entire lip.  However like @Lylysa said, you have to be careful that the liner and lip colors are a match.

janinebt

(0) Hearts

I personally will match my lipliner to the shade I'm wearing. I'm generally able to use red, fuchsia, a deep nude, a deep red, and a light pink for just about any lip color. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

I typically match it to the lipstick shade although to be honest I generally don't worry too much about it unless I'm wearing a bold color.

If I'm wearing a bold color I'll do just like knadala suggested. I line the lip then color in the lip area with the pencil. I'll set it with a very light blot of powder and then use a lip brush for lipstick or add my gloss or crayon. It gives a much longer lasting color for bold colors. 

Meg82

(0) Hearts

I always use clear lip liners unless the shade i'm wearing has a specific liner match (like w/UD revolution lipsticks and lipliners).  I like MUFE lip line perfector.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

i've found this to work for best for me too ^, but when i'm wearing something that i really dont want to smudge, i'll use givenchy mister brow (i know its not for lips lol) but its wax, and keeps my lipstick in check for as long as i'm wearing it, also it saves me money in not buying so many shades of liner :smileyhappy:

starletta8

(0) Hearts

That.  I only own a handful of lip liners, since I can't be bothered to match everything.  I also swear by MUFE lip line perfector, although I'm going to try the UD and Sephora Collection ones once I've finished up my MUFE.

Missie772

(0) Hearts

I have a few different lip liners. A pinkish nude color that matches my lips, a bright pink one for when I want to wear a brighter color lip, a darker vampy one to go with darker lips (which I have never used and I have darker lipsticks that I haven't gotten the nerve to use yet either), and a bright red lip liner to go with a red lip.

You don't need a different lip liner for each lipstick, but just one in the color range of lipstick that you will use.

If you just wear a regular nude-y pink color every day, then I suggest using the one that matches your lip color. But with the red lipstick, use a red liner. You can get some amazing cheap ones from the drugstore!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

What are some good drugstore lip liners?  Since I've never used a red liner, that may be a good way to experiment since drugstores are closer than Sephora.  

Like I said to lylysa, my heart button isn't showing up for some reason.

vanillammm

(0) Hearts

Both NYX and Rimmel make really great lip liners. So does elf.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • kimmi1115
    • annonymous1
    • janinebt
    • lylysa