Ashleighx93

Lip Care

I have always had very dry and somewhat peeling lips. I drink plenty of water and have tried multiple lip balms. Of course, my lips feel great and then in an hour or two are terrible again. It's mainly right there in the center of my lips. It's worse because you can see the problem when I apply lipstick so it's unflattering. Does anyone know any that actually last or help with these problems? Or even something that will help make the problem go away? I've tried everything and just wish I could stop having to worry about how bad (dry and not those soft and pretty lips) they look when out at events and in social situations.

happyfish

Re: Lip Care

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I also have dry and peeling lips too. Although my method does not cure 100% of my problem but it takes care 85% of it.

First, stop using too many lip balms. Just stick with one that has no fragrance/scent/flavor. Part of the reason your lip might be peeling is an allergic reaction to the flavor they put in the lip balm. Personally I use Carmex lip balm because I find it to be the most effective one for me.  

Second, exfoliate your lip 2-3 times a week before going to bed and use the lip balm or an unscented lip care product after. I love Orlane's Extreme Line-Reducing lip care because I can see the line reduce on my lip with this first time I use them. They are kind of expensive so you can go to one of their counter and ask them to give you a sample (which lasted me almost 3 week).  Also I don't like to exfoliate my lip too much because it takes off the healthy protective layer of the skin which makes my lip more fragile then it already is.  

Third, use a lip primer on your lip before applying your lipsticks. This help seals the water in your lip while it helps the color of the lipstick last longer.

Last, switch to a brand of lipsticks every few days and see which one give yours less problem. Try not to blend your lipstick with other brand of lipstick during this time.  This goes to the previous thing that I was talking about that some of the ingredient in the lipstick, lip gloss, or lip balm can give people an allergic reaction which they may not even know. I use MAC's lipstick because it does not give me that white foam or white line on my inner lip after hours of wearing it.  

Hope this helps.  

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I think you would love the Dior Balm it's a great product my lips  were a lot like yours but now there very soft and smooth.

malday

You should have a lip care regimen! Personally I exfoliate them almost every day using Lush Mint Julips or just a plain ol' sugar and honey combo (both taste great too), and then put on a thick lip balm right after. I constantly reapply lip balm throughout the day. Try Smith's Rosebud Salve. At night I apply Rosebud Salve before bed so I don't wake up with gross dry lips. And ALWAYS exfoliate before applying lipstick. Exfoliate > let balm soak in > apply lipstick! That should make it go on nice and smooth :smileyhappy:

LKuhle

(0) Hearts

My main problem is that I subconciously chew on my lips (not enough to cause damage, but it keeps them looking chapped and peeling)... I don't know if you have this problem, but the best thing to do for your lips is to not lick them and to keep your teeth far away. Keep your lips from chapping with lip balm, lots and lots of lip balm. And if you apply lipstick, exfoliate carefully (I like Fresh Sugar lip scrub).

sanazahra

Try Dior Lip Glow.  It's amazing. 

Your lips will stay moist and it really does a good job of enhancing your natural color too.

Ashleighx93

I was looking into the dior creme de rose soothing lip balm, I've heard good reviews on it. 

Ashleighx93

(0) Hearts

I have tried Vaseline and they are smooth and soft until is all soaks in.

I have tried exfoliating with a tooth brush at night and then using Vaseline too.

It's not so much painful, as it is annoying and unflattering looking. I'm constantly reaching for chapstick, and it feels great when it's on but then when it's worn off the problem is back. I'm wanting more of a cure of a fix than a temporary solution I guess. I hate being at parties and constantly having to worry about if you can tell that they are dry or gross.

deedjw

I totally agree with melissa93!  I keep it a little simpler though.  Everytime I brush my teeth, after I have rinsed off the toothpaste I lighlty brush my lips.  For me this works great at keeping my lips smooth.  Then I keep them smooth by using TokyoMilk Dark lip balms. 

depechelover101

(0) Hearts

I have to agree with some of the girls here - Fresh lip balm is great for dry lips! I've tried the sugar polish but it didn't do much for me. Mostly what I find is that if I wear the Fresh lip balm at night, and also apply it right before lipstick, my lips stay pretty decently hydrated. 

For me, any lipstick that I wear without a balm underneath will look absolutely terrible. I use Bare Minerals 100% Natural Lipcolor and it's fairly moisturizing, but of course, still looks better with a balm.

I tried Fresh's Advanced Therapy Lip Treatment, and found it to be super hydrating, though it's pricey. Worked best at night (and lasted longer that way), but didn't wear well under lipstick.

melissa93

have you tried using a tooth brush and brushing your lips with a scrub or Vaseline, coconut, or cocoa butter? (Any of those good plant butters really.) It made my lips feel so soft and smooth :smileyhappy: give it a try. You probably have these products at home already.  

jinxski

(0) Hearts

I hate that feeling! Usually I use lip scrubs to try to combat the peeling and as far as lip balms go, there are several medicated ones that could offer more moisture than traditional ones.

I love Eucerin's Aquaphor lip balm right now though. I can apply it in the morning and not do that obsessive reapplication every half hour that normally happens.

Good luck, I hope things work out! 

pinkonyx

Fresh lip treatment is the BEST! I it is pricey but it lasts, and it is the best lip treatment I've everrrrrrr used.

mpolansky

Have you tried Aquaphor? You can find it at the drugstore/target/etc. It's a vaseline-like product that is actually meant for dry skin problems like ezcema... so it's REALLY hydrating. I usually use this at night especially in the winter when my lips are even dryer. When my lips are extremely dry I never go for any of my actual "lip products"... I go for this. 

Also Lush makes a sugar lip scrub in bubblegum that is amazing. They also have a mint flavor and one more that I can't remember off the top of my head. This will help exfoliate your lips and take off that dry skin. And plus.... its edible so you can lick it off your lips afterwards :smileyhappy:

jinxski

I just scrolled down and saw this - my exact regimen, haha, I've been doing this since high school!

I love that lip scrub so much, the other flavor I think was popcorn, but  I think there used to be a vanilla one? Can't be too sure, I only used the bubblegum. Great stuff!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I had the same thing and started using MAC prep and primer and my lips were so smooth and my lipstick went on much better. I even used at night before bed and it made a really big difference. Hope this helps!

michmo

My lips are always trouble--dry and cracking or peeling with my lip products.  

I've heard First Aid Beauty's Lip Therapy (I think that is the name) is really good.  I believe it is $12.  I haven't tried it yet.  

The one thing that worked MAGIC on my lips was Josie Maran's Argan Balm.  My lips are amazing when I apply that daily.  It really hydrates them and they do not peel with it either.  I tried Josie Maran's lip treatment and didn't like that at all compared to the regular Argan Balm.  

I used a 1 oz Argan Balm, which is travel size, and it lasted me so long.  And I used it for a lot more than just my lips.  The bummer though is that Sephora only carries a large tub of it (and it's expensive).  But QVC does have a trio set for $30 (although two are scented and I haven't tried scented one, but I bet they work as well.) or they also have a combo set for $30 with a few of her products including the travel size balm.  

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

The Argan Oil Infinity Cream works great for lips! It tends to clog my pores if i use it on my face too much but i love it for my lips!

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

I really like Tarts lip balm..very moisturizing ! :smileyhappy:

MissEducation

I like the Fresh lip balm, but it's way too expensive. I think Aveda's lip balm is a great substitute, and it's not nearly as expensive.

wendyomgwar

If it's really that bad maybe you should go to your doctor about it, my lips you use to be chapped and dry that they would crack and bleed, really painful and my doctor gave me a sort of cream that helped my lips out a tremendous amount! Also agree with what arielaaaaaaa said, definitely use a lip scrub to help get rid of that dead skin on your lips, I really like the Lush one. And then don't over moisturize your lips, try to keep it to twice a day, and then eventually only at night time, the more you moisturize your lips the less moisture they make themselves. I really like the Jack Black Balm its pretty heavy so I only use it at night.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • malday
    • wendyomgwar
    • beautylovingirl
    • depechelover101