ShariBarnett

IS YOUR MAKE UP GLUTEN FREE... LIP GLOSS IN PARTICULAR

(0) Hearts

is your lip gloss and make up gluten free

ageandwisdom

Re: IS YOUR MAKE UP GLUTEN FREE... LIP GLOSS IN PARTICULAR

(0) Hearts

Keep in mind that ingesting even the smallest amount of gluten will still cause internal damage in celiacs even if they don't have a reaction.  I'm not a highly sensitive celiac but because I'm still healing and want to prevent further damage I avoid gluten in lip products at all costs.  My skin isn't sensitive to gluten and experts agree that gluten molecules are too large to be absorbed into the skin.  What I'd like to see is labeling on cosmetics similar to that of foods labels.  I honestly don't know what to look for in cosmetics ingredient lists.

AmyRai

(0) Hearts

To add on to this: Even if your skin isn't sensitive to gluten, you still may end up ingesting a skin care product incidentally. Lotion on skin or face will end up on your hands, which will end up on your lips and in your mouth, and then you're sick and can't figure out why because you've been so vigilant about eating. My skin is sensitive and in addition to internal damage I get hives. The dumbfounding problem I had was with hair products with gluten (an alarming amount) because I touch my hair a lot.

jojobe

I think you should post this in ask the experts because I think they are more qualified. Otherwise I would find a couple of brands that you like and email or call the company and ask them. I know like dr.hajuska (sp) is GF. 

ry22

I'm gluten sensitive and I haven't really noticed lip gloss with gluten in it giving me problems. I'm allergic to latex and caramine so I tend to worry more about avoiding latex packaging and caramine dyes in my products though.

AmyRai

Bite Beauty is certified gluten free.

katie1724

Sephora carries so many different brands that it's not possible to answer this with a yes or no. Is there a specific product (or products) in which you are interested? 

If you mean our makeup, personally -- I actually don't know the answer to that since I don't have gluten sensitivities.  I would think that gluten in most cosmetics probably isn't enough to trigger symptoms, unless you accidentally ingested it (which I suppose could be an issue with lip gloss), but I could be wrong. 

AmyRai

[ Edited ]

If you have Celiac and/or are sensitive, it is an issue.  A lot of celiacs get rashes from gluten-containing products. Trust me when I say I didn't want to believe at first either, but it is enough to trigger BAD symptoms.

katie1724

Yes -- if you have sensitivities I can totally understand why you'd want GF cosmetics! (This is why I added the "I could be wrong" disclaimer. Someone I know with celiac's is sensitive to ingested gluten, but cosmetics don't really bother her. Like anything else, of course, it stands to reason that it would be different for everyone and their own sensitivity threshold).  

ry22

I'm sensitive (just mainly stomach problems when I eat a lot of it on an empty stomach without having eaten it in a while) and gluten in cosmetics doesn't trigger anything for me. I think it depends on the severity of your sensitivity.

jojobe

At least they are recognizing that people do have these issues and are addressing them so that there are products available. 

lylysa

Hi, Shari! Are you asking the question with "your" in reference to the Beauty Talk population as in "Hey guys/girls, are the lip glosses you use as individuals gluten free?" or "your" in reference to a specific brand in particular, namely Sephora's own line?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • jojobe
    • ageandwisdom
    • ry22
    • lylysa
    • AmyRai