janellebellle

I can't wear 95% of lipsticks/liquid lips/stains/glosses in Sephora due to my chronically dry lips

So, I want to thank you in advance for reading this novel of a plea for help, as this is going to be a little long winded, and somewhat embarrassing...because I'm a Color Expert/Beauty Studio Captain  for Sephora for over 3 years and I have found very few lips products for me that don't either get super dry, patchy, peels or get the dreaded "white ring of death" goop (so lovely) within 45 minutes of application. I'm talking all day everyday non-stop. Between appointments, consultations and helping clients for 10 hours a day, I can't find anything that doesn't look awful and I have to remove within the hour. Glosses have been the most forgiving, but **bleep** do I miss my lipsticks and high pigments!! I drink more water than most, and I've used Laura Mercier's lip silk, Hourglass No. 28 lip oil (that has worked the best), Bliss balm, Fresh (2nd best), Marc Jacobs balm, Sephora balm, Caudalie's balm, L'occitaine balm etc throughout the day and at nighttime and nothing has been a long term solution. A quick fix perhaps, but nothing substantial. I've done primers (which made it even worse in my experience), lip liners, layering pigments, hydrating glosses/lipsticks, and nothing has stayed somewhat nice except for Hourglass's long wear glosses, some YSL glossy stains, some of UD's new lipsticks, some of NARS satin lip pencils and Fresh's Honey and Petal treatments. And the liquid lipsticks/stain/matte or ultra matte are the worst on me, and I love those the most. Three other things to consider for you ladies is this: 1) I don't have Bite at my store (wahh), so I'm really interested in trying it, based on what I've heard, and any other recommendations outside of Sephora 2) I never had this problem until about a year and half ago and I was a lipstick junkie; I'm ADD and when I went back on Adderall, it ruined my ability to wear lip products COMPLETELY, and chronic dry mouth 3) and I haven't found and exfoliator that I truly love. Fresh is meh, and Bliss is pretty good, toothbrush doesn't work, but I do admit haven't been super adamant about consistently using them because it seemed like they haven't really worked. I've tried everything in my store. Seriously, am I missing something? Doing to much or too little? I'm desperate. I have DRAWERS full of lippies and it's so sad looking at it all.

gogreyhound

Re: I can't wear 95% of lipsticks/liquid lips/stains/glosses in Sephora due to my chronically dry li

(0) Hearts

here is my take on it:

I agree with medical help if this is a severe, chronic problem.

There are things available to help with dry mouth (Biotene) and be sure to drink lots of water. I am not very good at this at times, and I can tell when I need to step it up because my lips get dry and chapped and flaky. I have heard that the lips are the first sign of dehydration in your body, when they feel dry and get chapped.

I use Tarte's exfoliating  Maracuja lip scrub, but also a damp washcloth as someone else suggested works wonders.

My latest discovery is FAB Ultra repair Lip Therapy--it is thick but in a good way, no petrolatum but has actual moisturizing ingredients plus it stays on...kind of like a nice lotion for your lips. It has helped me tremendously lately with my flaky lips. 

I hope you are able to get on top of this and go back to loving all your lippies, and your lips! 

buzzbee3

Re: I can't wear 95% of lipsticks/liquid lips/stains/glosses in Sephora due to my chronically dry li

(0) Hearts

The Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub from Bite is a godsend! Also I can't live without my First Aid Beauty anything.....that goes for their lip treatment also. It's a bit thicker than other brands I've tried, so it seems to stay longer and hydrate better.

chupi

(0) Hearts

Have you tried exfoliating your lips with a wet wash cloth? That's the most effective for me.

gingerblack

(0) Hearts

To help get rid of chapped lips I like the hemp one from the body shop or Carmex. If you google hemp properties you can see why it is so good at moisturizing. For lipstick I think Bite lipstick is a good option. It is one of my favourites and is really creamy. I use the ELF lip exfoliator and I actually really like it for the price. It is in a lipstick tube so it is easy to use and it has a lot of sugar in it so it is really exfoliating.

jxw200

(0) Hearts

la mer lip balm did wonders for my lips - they peel MUCH less often now. It is a favorite along with hourglass n28 lip oil :smileyhappy: 

among the other suggestions, i also like Nuxe reve de miel, osmia honey lip repair. I am liking lush lip scrubs, but i only use it if my lips are peeling. I would definitely consider that you might have allergies to something in product... I want to try sara happ, jo malone and omorovicza

I think some of the others made some great suggestions, but two things that help me as well are drinking TONS of water and blasting a humidifier lol. i would see a dermatologist in case it is eczema or something. A blogger friend of mine gets eczema on her lips and eyes :smileysad:

shapeshifter

(0) Hearts

When my lips get crazy dry to the point of cracking, the only thing that works for me is the thick Nivea hand cream in the blue jar. 

daisydaisies

1 - Have you considered the possibility that you've developed an allergy (or allergies) to products? This can happen, even if you haven't previously had problems. You may need to carefully check out ingredients and do comparison tests. This can take time, but it can be worth it. Also, it might be hard, but what about trying a week where you don't use anything on your lips? This could give them a chance to start healing, and then once they're in better shape you can start to test products to see if allergies develop.

Oh, and over exfoliating may be contributing to the problem because it adds more irritation to the skin.

2 - If this is a persistent and worsening problem, you should probably see a doctor.

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

A few recs for your consideration:

• Dior Crème de Rose is my lifeline; I am addicted to this stuff. It smells amazing and a thick layer on chapped lips leaves them delightful in the morning. Also suitable for any other time of day :smileytongue:
  • AQUAPHOR! I know this is not fancy, but any time anyone I know had chapped lips due to illness and/or various medications, they used this religiously, to wonderful effect.
  • Sugar Intense Lip Therapy is supposed to be great, I just haven't tried it myself.
  • If you're into naturals/organics, Osmia Organics has a myrrh and honey intensive lip balm that is supposed to be great. But it comes with a price tag to match :smileyvery-happy:

Hope this helps you! Sending healthy lip vibes your way!

Courtney811

(0) Hearts

I definitely agree with the general consensus that the Fresh Lip scrub isn't all that great. My lips get dry too and I think have become dependent on some sort of lip scrub but you can make one at home yourself. The Fresh lip balms are great and I know this is about lipsticks but anytime Fresh makes a lip gloss, JUMP ON THAT because they're even better and more hydrating than the balms. I got one last year that was bright red and it is very pigmented and hydrating. I am also on the search for a god hydrating lipstick.

PoesRevy

[ Edited ]

Hi Janellebellle,

I am unsure if you have seen a Dr. to have an evaluation done for the dry mouth and lip irritation (which could be a type of dermatitis due to some irritant or allergy). Being that you intake what reads "more water than most" I feel that should be shared with a Dr. as well. After reading through your post I feel that you have tried this and that without a whole lot of success long term. I honestly would rather recommend that you explore there are no medical reasons for these occurrences/reoccurrences.

I hope that you are able to find a solution in whatever choice you decide and it works for you. :heart:

cheeky76

(0) Hearts

Janellebelle, I have this problem, too. I have Fresh's lip scrub, and have also found that it doesn't really make a difference. In the past, I've used Fresh's lip treatment (too much hype), Josie Maran lip balm, and a $50 La Mer lip balm hoping that they would cure my problem. Not so much.

I recently received a sample of Dr. Lipp Nipple Balm for lips in my September Birchbox, and it has changed my life a little bit. It looks like Vaseline at first, but is unlike any other lip balm in texture. SOOO creamy and dreamy and moisturizing. And it is not crazy expensive! I've realized that the trick to exfoliating your lips is to moisturize them first, or else you will just irritate your lips. Your lips need to be deeply moisturized so that the flaky parts are soft and will come off easily. Wet and dry your lips, apply a LOT of balm all over, wait an hour or so, then scrub with both an exfoliator and towel or toothbrush. Afterwards, apply a thin layer of balm. This is good to do before bedtime.

Please let us know if you find something that works!

momo

(0) Hearts

I find that most lip products cause my lips to get irritated too. They get dry and peel and are painful. I feel like it might be some kind of allergy/contact dermatitis to some additive but I am not sure what causes it. The only products that I have been able to wear without irritation are:

Bite Beauty (gloss, lipstick, primer, matte pencil, lip butter)

Badger Balm (lip balm)

Aquaphor (healing ointment)

Buxom (gloss)

Dior (lip plumper)

I really recommend ordering Bite products. So far everything in the line I have tried has been great and no dryness. I even use the gloss before bed and wake up with extra moisturized lips. I discovered the brand this year and it has changed my life! : )

I wish you the best! : )

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Check into this thread here where recently another user asked about chapped/dry lips.

There's some tips/suggestions as to how you can make your own DIY scrub since you've yet to fall in love with any prepackaged ones, I highly recommend making one with the use of honey:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Bad-habit-of-licking-lips-need-lip-scrub-recommendations/m-p/63...

Plus it goes over some top lip balms (including the Hourglass lip oil you love already).

If you're ever able to to hop into a Ulta or Neimen Marcus, check out Napoleon Perdis' Auto Pilot Lip Balm, it's meant at a balm and/or primer, but isn't waxy feeling like traditional primers or clear lip liners, it's more along the lines of a smooth balm, it makes lips feel cushioned, but not super slippery. I've found this to be a lip lifesaver when topping off lip products and even under them.

swfupload_7135034599903299413.jpg

Since you noticed the change in your lips after hopping back on Adderall, you might even consider asking your doctor if there's anything that is recommended on a medical grade level if over the counter products and treatments just aren't moisturizing enough.

I got to finally try out the Bite formulas on my lips (Rouge status mini lipstick) and was very pleased with the result. My go-to lip color and formula is Laura Mercier's Creme lipstick in Sparkling Pink (been wearing it since it was called Pink Champagne), and though the Bite formula didn't feel like it glided on as moisturizing, it didn't dry out my lips and it wore comfortably for 4 hours before I ate lunch and had to reapply it. After that, reapplication, another 3 hours in, I layered on more to build up that lovely red color (was going out) and it lasted an additional 4 hours without drying out or feathering.

spoiledbrat

(0) Hearts

Sephora does not carry, but Nordstrom does, Aerin Lip Conditioner. I love it and it has a cult following. They will take it back if you do not like it. Maybe they can give you a sample of make you one?

tashalicious

you may have to attack this problem from the inside, try adding more Niacin, Iron and B vitamins to your diet. :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

1. Have you tried Jack Black lip treatment spf25? my lips suddenly rebelled against me last winter, had the same problem as you, and NOTHING worked, not the two dozen lip balms I brought etc. The best for me in terms of fixing dry/cracked/peeling lips are: Jack black, Fresh, and then Tokyomilk (thick and no SPF, better as a night treatment). 

2. You can make your own exfoliator. I use rose salve/vaseline + fine brown sugar + a couple drops of oil to make a paste like Fresh scrub. You can adjust the consistency or the finess of the grain accordingly. I also found that toothpaste really drys my lips out, so what I do is swipe on some lip balm, brush my teeth, use lip scrub, then apply generous amount of lip balm at night.

3. Keeping lips hydrated when wearing color is tricky for me. First I apply lip balm generously before I do my makeup to let it sink in, then when I get to my lips I wipe it off and apply lip liner/stick. Then top it off with a hydrating gloss (Buxom or Clinique for me). If I want a lipstick look, I do the balm + wipe, then lip pencil/stick and blot, then another couple swipe of balm on top. Drinking with a straw will minimize lip color transferring. For matte look have you tried Tarte Lipsurgence? it's not as 1000x more hydrating as they claim, but it gave me a matte look without drying me out.

Good luck!

killerteeth

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Jack Black's Lip balm is THE BESTTT! I'm on Accutane and my lips want to fall off my face if they're not moisturized regularly, and this makes them so happy. 

Your recipe sounds great-- I am going to try it out!

beethousand

(0) Hearts

Have you tried Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro? Lush and Sara Happ have pretty good lip scrubs as well, even though the Lush one is just flavored colored sugar.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • cheeky76
    • killerteeth
    • chupi
    • spoiledbrat
    • jxw200
    • lylysa