glossyguru

How to fix cracking lips?

Lately my lips have been SUPER dry, and even more than normal, I put on lip balm everyday, but with the change of weather, they have been chapped, peeling, and bleeding in several different places. And since they're so irritated, my lips are this ugly pink red color. What's the best way to fix this problem? Products, at home remedies, anything - please help!

waterbaby1981

Re: How to fix cracking lips?

Start using a lip product underneath your lipsticks, glosses, etc. that has sunscreen in it.  Seriously.  I had this same issue until I started using a lip gloss that had sunscreen.  Clinique Long Last Glosswear SPF 15 is a good pick.  Some others I use are Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 (original goes well under anything) and Shiseido's Sun Protection Lip Treatment SPF 36.  Unfortunately, UV rays still go through on cloudy days and lips tend to be something a lot of people forget or don't think to protect.  That and gentle exfoliation should help.

jojobe

100% Shea Butter at night especially works wonders for the bleeding and cracking. I always make sure I put on something heavy on my lips before bed. Right now I am using PTR unwrinkled pink ice which is working good at night for me. I love making the DIY lip scrub it feels so good.

bratknits

Vaseline or Bag Balm.  Both make a fantastic barrier to keep in moisture and keep out the dry air, germs, irritants, etc. 

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

Vaseline is great! It works wonders and then some on my lips.

Missie772

I had the same problem last winter. Living in Chicago- it is called the Windy City for a reason!!!

I used everything from olive oil (hated the taste) to Blistex medicated to Vaseline. I found that the Hourglass Lip Oil worked the best for me! It is a bit
expensive but it is worth it!!!

csora

I used to have very dry lips and I've tried a lot of different lip balms and treatments. My favourite product to date is Nuxe's reve de miel pot lip balm (stick version isn't as effective). I use it nightly and it has really transformed the condition of my lips. Give it a try if you can get your hands on that stuff.

upload_8135159029238582907.jpg

sulfate

it's the best!!

nebel

it really is.

evno

(0) Hearts

I recommend applying the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment or the Josie Maran Infinity Cream during the day

Exfoliate at night. DIY brown sugar scrubs or brushing with your toothbrush is good for thorough exfoliation. If your lips are too irritated/sensitive, there's a gentler way. Slather your lips with Vaseline (or any slimy balm, really), let them soak in it, and then rub your fingers over your lips to get rid of any loose skin. If your lips can handle that, wipe off the balm with a damp washcloth for some more exfoliation. Good luck! 

upload_7866253040451737527.jpg

musttryitall

(0) Hearts

evno I use the same products for my lips and every night I use Vaseline before bed. works great.

neko333

(0) Hearts

Skin So Soft+Brown Sugar= Good lip scrub

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

I really like the Blistex Lip Medex, that has saved me through some pretty painful times. I also second the lip scrubs, but I would try a DIY lip scrub first. You could probably find a lot of good ones online; I was actually looking at this one earlier for my own lips! 

http://www.collegefashion.net/beauty-and-hair/diy-beauty-brown-sugar-and-vanilla-lip-scrub/

Piwie

(0) Hearts

so true, DIY lip scrub is much better because you don't have to worry about digesting "unwanted chemical" and also cheaper. Mine is the mix of brown sugar, honey, and a little bit of coconut oil.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Yikes, last time my lips got like that, a thick layer of Jack Black overnight for a couple of days fixed it (and Fresh or JB during the day under/over lip colors too).

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

My lips have been struggling these days, too.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I always exfoliate when my lips get persistently dry. My HG products for dry lips are from Sara Happ. I have her Lip Scrub in Brown Sugar and Pink Grapefruit and her Lip Slip (extra luxurious balm). Her line is available at Nordstrom and other local beauty stores.

I've also been loving S&G's A Great Kisser Balm lately. I have all three flavors, oops!

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

image.jpgimage.jpg

missfawnie

Oh my goodness- what are you doing to me?! I just have to have this now. It is so adorable and the nameeee. Thank you for letting me know about this amazing product. :smileyhappy:

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

You will love it!

crayzeeRN

Good heavens, the pink grapefruit scrub is ADORABLE! How exfoliating is this scrub? I'm a little disgruntled with the Bite Beauty Cherry Lip Scrub I bought a month or so back... barely any exfoliating effect at all!

pinktorridora

It's the perfect amount of exfoliating. My lips are INSTANTLY smooth and the oils in it are soothing and moisturizing. Its sugar based, too, so if you don't get it all off with a tissue...oops, it's yummy anyway!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 26 in conversation
    • spoiledbrat
    • waterbaby1981
    • jojobe
    • pinktorridora
    • ChicDabbler
    • roxystar4