DTalksAll

Favorite Glossy Stain Alternative?

[ Edited ]

Before last week I had 4 Glossy Stains, but of course wanted to add one more... well after much swatching & playing I ended up with what I think is the last one that really works with my skin tone/that I like? 

But I still want more stain/gloss/liquid lipsticks. 

I have a few of the stila, and they are just OK.

I did NOT like the MUFE... it reminded me of the cheap drugstore ones & they really dried out my lips.

So I need your help! Which of the ones below have you tried & how do they compare to the YSL? I love that the YSL Glossy Stains are easy to reapply, don't transfer much, and are hydrating.

Hourglass- I heard the only way to reapply is to completely take it off. Is this true?

OCC Lip Tar- I'd probably would purchase one of the mini sets

Bite Cashmere Lip Cream - I know 0 about them except that a cast member was wearing it last week in the store & it was "WOW bold lip"

bareMinerals

Shiseido 

Guerlain

Ardency Inn

Becca 

Kat Von D

So BBFFs? What have you tried... liked/dislike? Comparable to Glossy Stain? Oh & favorite shades?  

I'm ready to be enabled! 

*~* Please no drugstore product suggestions, every drugstore lip product I ever fell into the hype has left me disappointed. Thanks ~*~ 

Spyski

Re: Favorite Glossy Stain Alternative?

I know you said no drugstore lip suggestions, BUT the closest dupe to the YSL glossy stains that I have found and to which are my cheaper, favorite alternative are the L'Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stains. I'm pretty iffy when it comes to drugstore products as well, more or less of a brand snob >.< BUT seriously, the L'Oreal stains are pretty awesome even has a very similar brush as to the YSL stains. What can I say L'Oreal owns YSL, so they're bound to be very similar. The only difference I have found is that they are less pigmented, you have to swipe a 3rd coat to get the same YSL pigmentation. Here are a few pics I found online from VanityRouge...

Loreal-Wet-Shine-Stain-and-YSL-Glossy-Stain.png

YSL-Glossy-Stain-in-7-Corail-Aquatique-on-the-left.-Loreal-Wet-Shine-Stain-in-Pink-Resistance-on-the-right..png

(On the Left – YSL Glossy Stain in #7 Corail Aquatique. On the Right – several layers of L’Oreal Wet Shine Stain in Pink Resistance. Pink Resistance is less pigmented, but when built up tends to pull more of a peachy pink than true pink on the lip. YSL Corail Aquatique is more pigmented, and has visible shimmer, so when built up it is a brighter shade.)

YSL-Glossy-Stain-and-Loreal-Wet-Shine-Stain-Applicators.png

( Glossy Stain on the left, Wet Shine Stain on the right)

mafan

Since it's been mentioned, I'll also say that I haven't yet found anything that stains as well as L'Oreal's Infallible 24hr lip stains.  I wish they had a bigger color range.  Those things stay put and do not fade in any odd way.  12-16 hours later and I'm needing proper makeup remover to get them off.  They don't have the same foot (more of a regular doe foot) but I find them pretty easy to apply and they come with a balm to seal them in. 

They were great for being stuck on Jury Duty for 8 hours and once they're set there is no color transfer.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Oh I hated those, they always dried out & as soon as I'd put the balm on they would transfer and flake. 

Spyski

(0) Hearts

That's strange, oh well everybody is different. I twied *tear* 

DTalksAll

Sorry Spyski, my comment was directed to mafan for the infalliable 24hr. I tried the YSL dupe last year and wasn't impressed. Besides, I can't swatch shades & i really need to see lip products before I buy them. Sorry, but I swore off drugstore products years ago. Every now & then I'll purchase a lip product (lip butters-yuck!) and get disappointed, so why bother. 

Spyski

Ahh ha! I didn't like the L'Oreal Infallibles myself as they were wayyy too drying on me but the wet shine stains...yeah I'll repurchase that drugstore item. YUCK! I can't stand the lip butters either. I bought one after all the rave reviews and yeah no thanks, nothing special...

Spyski

(0) Hearts

I have never heard the term "doe foot" for applicators until now.  Wow, where have I been?! Haha

mafan

I was planning to try the Hourglass myself today, but just for you dannyc I am trying the KVD.  All I can say is one of the beauties of the Give Me More Lip set is that it lets you try lots of things, like enough things to be worth the price, and then maybe go get some things in another shade!  This color makes me shudder every time I look in the mirror.  (Later it will give me a chance to see what I might be able to wear over it, right?)

One thing I can say is that the color dries very matte, so it's really different from the YSL Glossy stains.  (What colors do you have, btw?)  I don't like the foot nearly as much as the one on the YSL stains either (but I am no expert with doe feet applicators; I'm generally more of a lipstick than lipgloss person because I don't like sticky.  This is not sticky.)

I'll give you an update on wear later in the day.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

This is why I love BT! Thank you & I can't wait for the update. 

I have considered the lip sets, but there are always a bunch of products in there that I know i won't want/use, or have tried and didn't like. Maybe I should reconsider... :smileytongue: 

ghkim

i totally agree with you. the kvd color in give me more lip is freakish. i gave it away immediately!

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I used the Hourglass from the Give Me More Lip set yesterday for the first time.  It was amazing. I put it on around 3PM and it was still going strong when I washed my face to go to bed at 2 AM. It did dry matte, but I added a clear sparkly gloss (from the Nars Warhol Gloss Set).  I ate dinner, drank wine, etc and had very little transfer. I totally added the Hourglass to my loves list. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Everyone is so back & forth on the Hourglass. I think I just need to try it myself. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

No one on BT has tired Shiseido or Guerlain?!?!?! How is this possible...

beethousand

(0) Hearts

I don't like the Shiseido, but I also didn't like the Hourglass either. I've pretty picky and thought both of them were sticky and uncomfortable to wear. The only liquid lipsticks I have are four of the YSL glossy stains, two of the L'Oreal dupes, and four Armani Lip Maestros. The Guerlain is similar to the Armani - dries to a semi-matte finish and very comfortable to wear, but there is some transfer. I usually apply, then blot to minimize it.

ghkim

(0) Hearts

hmmm, i think the glossy stains are pretty unique in that they are glossy and have great lasting power and don't dry out your lips. i've tried:

bare minerals: it was a while ago, but i don't remember it lasting very long on me. i also remember not liking the smell.

kvd: this one lasts forever and was really hard to get off. but the finish will be more opaque and matte which will make it more important to get a precise application. you might try putting a balm on top.

bite cashmere lip cream: i tried this on in the store and it was creamy and less drying that other liquid lipsticks but it transfers and moves around more. the colors are all very bold.

occ: i love lip tars but don't have the glossy ones. i don't have any issue with feathering. for me, they give a matte finish that lasts a long time. some colors are very wearable and some are really wacky but can be mixed to create a more wearable look. you can gloss them up by applying balm or gloss over it but then it won't last as long.

hourglass: these do dry to a very matte, very dry, very longlasting finish much like the kvd. i have found that gloss wears well over it. i have never tried reapplying because never needed to but i think if worn alone, you would have to take it off before reapplying whereas if worn with gloss i imagine you could add more on top without taking the original application off.

stila: this is are a lot like the kvd and hourglass. again, i think to reapply, you might need to take the whole thing off. very matte, drying, and long lasting with great color pay off.

personally, i would go with a long lasting liquid lipstick like kvd, hourglass, stila, or occ, and then add just a touch of gloss if they are too drying. otherwise, you could try the occ stained gloss or the stila vinyl lip gloss. GL!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the breakdown! I'm leaning towards the KVD, I like the shades more. And I saw they have a gloss version, but the wear time isn't the same. I have so many NARS lipglosses, I could probably match shades to any matte lipstick :smileywink: 

melde

(0) Hearts

I don't feel like I'm much help because I prefer a matte lip.

However, I can say that I love the Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick and the OCC Lip Tars (original formula) that I have.... because they're matte. So I don't think those are what you're looking for.

DTalksAll

Well I prefer stains & gloss. Some stains are matte & I'm OK with that as long as it doesn't budge. I've tried the tarte, and I don't mind the matte, but they slide all over and transfer easily like a lipstick does. 

Liquid lipstick seems like a good alternative to lipstick as long as it doesn't budge, or fade strangely like drugstore lip products do. If it wears equally, then I don't mind the change in pigment without being able to reapply. 

melde

(0) Hearts

The hourglass lasts amazingly, and I will say that when I first applied it I thought it was the prettiest thing to ever touch my lips! It is very matte, though. :smileyhappy:

drrragon

I feel a little embarrassed that out of those, I own:

Hourglass in Icon

KVD in Backstage Bambi

Becca in Watermelon

OCC lip tar 5 shades

Bare Minerals in Strength

It really highlights just how much of a junkie i've become in just the last year (yeah, thanks BT, totally looking at you!).  

I really like the Bare MInerals formula a lot because it goes on very creamy and I don't find it drying at all.  The only reason I don't wear it frequently is, well, Strength is a bright red and they just don't seem to have a lot of everyday colors in their lineup.

After Give Me More Lip I became obsessed with OCC Lip Tars and bought a bunch.  They don't feather for me at all, and surprisingly I don't find them drying either (I typically have very chapped lips).  I love love love the variety of colors and how easy it is to custom blend.  They are definitely long wearing and fade evenly for me.  However I don't find them as opaque as everyone else does.  Also beware if you are sensitive to peppermint oil.  

I received the KVD back when Sephora had a code for a free full-size backstage bambi.  Can't say much about this one because the color was just awful so I only tried it once.

I love my Becca beach tint for blush, but many reviews complain about how drying it is for lips.  It comes out of the tube in a watery, runny consistency which is actually great for blush as it absorbs wonderfully into my skin.    Also, as a blush I like it use it for work days because of how subtle it is, so if you're looking for a full coverage lip color this isn't it.  It's got a lovely fruity smell though that definitely brightens up my morning routine.

As for Stila, which one did you try?  I have the "stay all day liquid lipstick" that came in the Give Me More Lip set, which is nice and lightweight but weird and sticky feeling.  But I also went and bought  the "stay all day vinyl lip gloss" which is absolutely my new favorite.  The formula is creamy and moisturizing and opaque.  But there are only two shades that I would be able to wear to work.

DTalksAll

But no Shiseido or Guerlain... 

Can you please wear the KVD to work tomorrow & let me know how you like it.... PLEASE :smileytongue: 

Why can't I make a custom "give me some lip" set so I could try them all. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 84 replies
  • 55 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • melisa16
    • jxw200
    • drrragon
    • poshified
    • mafan
    • veronika23
    • crayzeeRN
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • syritt
    • rikkie
    • aggiegirl2012
    • mommyto4
    • melde
    • Spyski
    • beethousand
    • glossyguru
    • ghkim
    • mpolansky
    • Nicrohr
    • shapeshifter
    • shortstuff07
Photos5
  • Loreal-Wet-Shine-Stain-and-YSL-Glossy-Stain.png
  • YSL-Glossy-Stain-and-Loreal-Wet-Shine-Stain-Applicators.png
  • YSL-Glossy-Stain-in-7-Corail-Aquatique-on-the-left.-Loreal-Wet-Shine-Stain-in-Pink-Resistance-on-the-right..png
  • 20131102_113005.jpg
  • 20131104_162341.jpg